Alpina Wheels

hdavis

Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has been discussed "ad nauseum" so forgive me for bringing it up again an not going the search route.

I'd like to put some Alpinas in my car, but would like to know what the best alternative is, both in terms of fit and price. I'd like to go as period correct as possible, so I´m thinking 14 x 7 inch wheels , but what should I be looking for?
Would this be what I need?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...002QQitemZ120366312326QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

MichaelP

Reaction score
Those will work, but they're a mismatched set. The wheels without additional holes around the center bore are proper Alpinas. The ones with holes are by FPS, one of a few manufacturers of aftermarket open lug Alpinas. Nothing wrong with them, unless you're fussy about correctness, but the mix of wheels would look kinda funny.

hdavis

Reaction score
Thanks,

I'm thinking the FPS could be the spare wheel and I'd need to find another Alpina, which should not be that much of a problem.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't think I would agree. The 3 Alpina wheels pictured are early version and very hard to find (no holes between lug opening). Later verions of the 14in wheel were mass produced and even still able but they have the casting holes between lug openings like the F & S wheel.

I think it comes down to how period correct you want to be.

MichaelP

Reaction score
Someone else will have to chime in here about the reason for the additional holes. I dunno.

Those wheels look like they've been repainted -- and not too well. Keep in mind that that fourth wheel might/probably won't match, and then you're looking at more work/time/money. I think the seller is these guys:
http://www.2002parts.com/html/4-lug_wheels.html
They have a decent reputation with the 02 crowd. You might call them and ask questions about what paint they used, etc.

MichaelP

Reaction score

Tierfreund

Reaction score
You´d get the ones with the additional holes. But a brand new set. They are available from Walloth and Nesch as well (probably a bit cheaper except for the shipping, but check, might be worth it).

They are from the forgery that made the wheels for Alpina and are virtually identical except for the Alpina script and the additional holes. For all practical matters, they are the best route (finding original Alpinas is difficult, costly and only an absolute annorak (such as me and probably a couple of posters here :) ) would know). Besides, if you had an original Alpina B2 or BS2 and had a damaged wheel and would call Buchenlohe and request a spare, they would probably point you to your local BMW dealer for the FPS wheel without thinking twice and even mentioning that it wouldn´t be an original. They´d probably consider the FPS wheel an original Alpina wheel.
Often, the fans are a lot more religious about these things than the creators of the legend.

In any case: The 14x7 ET11 Alpina (style) wheel is one of the best looking, best riding and period correct choices for the E9 (The BBS Mahle 7x14 ET10 cross spoke is another popular, period correct and visually apealing choice as well).

Nothing spoils an E9 so totally as a modern wheel, so you definitely are on the right track.

E9coupeOZ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

To answer your question about why the wheel centres have small extra holes next to the actual bolt or lug holes, it is not part of the wheel/rim casting process.

These holes are designed to be there by BMW for the BMW Wheel Alignment System. They are on every Genuine BMW wheel even the steel wheels.

This allows accurate mounting of the aligners head unit via long pins through the wheel to sit firmly and evenly against the hub face.
Have a look at the wheel head clamp in the hands of the technician in the included link. You will see the long pins that go through the holes.

http://www.hunter.com/PUB/PRODUCT/OEM/BMW/5757T/5757T.pdf

This eliminates inaccurate measurements caused by mounting the wheel alignment head units against potentially buckled or damaged outside edges of the wheels. IF using a NON BMW system, the clamps can damage your rim faces/edges as they are clamped hard to the outer face of the rim, this type is used to enable them to fit onto every make of car.

This was a service engineering design feature that started in the 70's and has remained on every BMW since.

Gota love a great set of Alpina Wheels!
Scott

BonitaCS

Reaction score
Interesting, I wonder if one of those KDS units would fit in my garage...

The seller is in Bonita somewhere and so am I, I can swing by and check them out if you like.

Scott

hdavis

Reaction score
BonitaCS said:
Interesting, I wonder if one of those KDS units would fit in my garage...

The seller is in Bonita somewhere and so am I, I can swing by and check them out if you like.

Scott
Thanks Scott, I made him an offer, which he refused, so unless we are in agreement regarding price, there´s really no use in asking you to go see them, if he changes his mind I might take you up on your offer

Regards