AMG 507

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am looking to acquire a 2014, 8000 mile, AMG C63 507, the last of the big atmo' Merc' V8s. I've stopped buying new cars and am trying to be smarter with fun stuff. It seems to me that, generally, the last run of an iconic model retains its value better than an otherwise ordinary car. At present my daily driver is a BMW 1M which has turned out to be one of my better cars for retained value. Apparently a low mileage 1M, ( I am the original owner with 25,000 miles ), in the U.S sells for higher than the new car sticker.

It will be tough to let it go but I want to get into a less "involving", less one dimensional car.

Does anyone here have a history with the Mercedes 6.3 series cars, in particular the model mentioned? Any red flags?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just buy it. You know you want to. That is very low mileage, and if it is what you want, don't look for someone to say they once had a bad experience with a MB of a different year, model, sundry other variables, and so on. I agree, get something with character, and not something new. Unless, of course, I can get that new Aston Martin Vanquish S and drive it like I am in an episode of Top Gear! ;)

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just buy it. You know you want to. That is very low mileage, and if it is what you want, don't look for someone to say they once had a bad experience with a MB of a different year, model, sundry other variables, and so on. I agree, get something with character, and not something new. Unless, of course, I can get that new Aston Martin Vanquish S and drive it like I am in an episode of Top Gear! ;)

Thanks Blue but you sound just like that little devil on my shoulder whispering in my ear.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am looking to acquire a 2014, 8000 mile, AMG C63 507, the last of the big atmo' Merc' V8s

Is gas cheap in Aus? You’ll need a fuel station attached to the AMG if you are stepping on it! 20 liters+/ 100kms normal city driving. Step on it and well over 30+ liters/ 100kms. Awsome sound those engines make and servicing them isint done by the local mechanic either.
Not even remotely comparable to each other.
Keep the 1M for daily and the AMG for long drives

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I bought it, after some negotiations. The previous owner was a 75 year old who systematically turned over his Mercedes Benzes every 4 years. He didn't know what the RS setting was for - ( race start ) - he thought that the S and S+ settings firmed up the suspension, ( they don't ), so he didn't us them and only drove in comfort mode, had it regularly professionally detailed, serviced by Mercedes Benz, mats and cloths everywhere to protect seats etc. Not a mark, scratch, wheel rash, anywhere. Didn't know about the traction control button. Thought that you had to lock and unlock the car with the remote until I showed him that you need only touch the door handle to do that. The look on his face! His only trips were to Brisbane and back ( a 120 mile round trip ) adding up to 2000 miles per annum. Shorter trips are in his wife's E class.
This how to buy a car, especially a high performance car. A special order car that, in Australia, cost $185,000 new.

Man does it go. It's a bear in wolf's clothing. It's the car that Thor would drive. The SOUND at full noise!! It's as though you can conjure thunder with your right foot.

Took it for a 300 klm round trip via country roads, up hill and down dale, and it averaged 11 lts / 100 klms. So much for the supposedly horrendous fuel consumption. You Yanks can do the maths for mpg. We in the advanced countries use the more sophisticated, consistent and sensible, metric system.

Happy.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gazz,

You are going to love driving it.

I've owned an SL55 AMG for about 4 years. Fabulous cars. I reduced the size of the supercharger pulley and installed an ECU flash. The engine now produces about 550 bhp and 575 ft lbs of torque (flat from 2K to 5K rpm). It too is a beast (or bear) in sheep's clothing. I too love the sound when you push hard on the loud pedal!!! It CAN be driven as docile as a Prius - and nearly as quiet, but accelerates like a Cheetah when pushed and turns like a go-cart due to the hydraulic suspension that adjusts pressures at each corner of the car in one tenth of a second.

Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like an outstanding catch.

Cheers,

Gary

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I could post pics but what proof is that? Could be of anyone's car. I suppose I could photograph it in my driveway and the Don could verify it as my place, having been here, but that's still not proof that it's mine.

You will just have to trust me as a fellow E9er and as someone who doesn't need or want to lie about such a thing. I generally find that if you are going to lie you had better be smarter than who you are lying to and possess a reliable memory. Fortunately I'm aware enough to know that neither of those qualities apply to me.

Since this is the off topic forum and its my thread let me tell you about a cultural phenomenon that it occurring in Australia today. It's called the Melbourne cup. The ( horse ) race that stops the nation. This annual event turns even non punters such as myself into one day horse racing experts. Last year over $350 million was bet on the race itself. ( In the U.S that would be the equivalent of $5 billion bet on a horse race! ). That's $14 for every man, woman and child in the country. That's enough to fund the wages of 5385 registered nurses. I'm not sure what this says about Australians but I suspect that if one were to analyse it we would not turn out looking good. My $5 is on Yucatan.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gazz I think it says a lot of us are descended from convict stock and are crap with money :)
At the risk of being accused of being un-Australian or worse still the 'fun police,' I'm keeping my money today :)
Might waste it on a good bottle of wine instead..

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well well... and well again.
It just might be time to have an on-site inspection.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I could post pics but what proof is that? Could be of anyone's car. I suppose I could photograph it in my driveway and the Don could verify it as my place, having been here, but that's still not proof that it's mine.

You will just have to trust me as a fellow E9er and as someone who doesn't need or want to lie about such a thing. I generally find that if you are going to lie you had better be smarter than who you are lying to and possess a reliable memory. Fortunately I'm aware enough to know that neither of those qualities apply to me.

It’s just a cheeky internet forum way of saying please post pics. The STFU response of choice is to post a picture of said car with a bagel on the hood. :)

Internet History Lesson #32
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pics-or-it-didnt-happen

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh my- word is the 7-eleven on Lakeview Blvd has reserved a pump just for you.....

-Gas For Gazz -

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
It will get better MPG than some of those triple Webered E9s out there.

Justification maths - My 1M averaged 13 lts / 100 klms. Yes that's high consumption but I drove that thing as it demanded I should. I traveled 40,000 klms in 7.5 years with it. That's 5333 klms per annum. That's 693 lts of 98 octane p/a.
Even if the Benz uses an average of 18 lts / 100 klms ( which is at the high end of commonly quoted figures in congested Europe ) , then I will consume an extra 267 lts at $1.70 per ltr. That's an extra cost of $454 p.a. or $8.75 per week - I can wear that. So far I am averaging 13.3 lts / 100 klms over the 500 ( honeymoon period ) klms I have driven.

In any case, I didn't acquire this car as a Prius, and for many short trips I use my wife's diesel X3.

I'll post a pic when I change the plates over from my 1M to the 507.

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In Germany we see them relatively often. That’s one hell’ve a car with a fantastic engine. As you correctly point out, it’s not about the gas mileage, rather the forwards motion and the sound it produces.
In Germany with the unlimited speed limits (not much of that’s left) it can be heard well before it passes and what a sound wave! Awe inspiring.
Congrats on taking the plunge.