An odometer knob

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I misplaced my odomoter reset cable and knob many years ago. My life has never been the same, but I am not sure that is the cause.
I tell my shrink that resetting the odometer while driving can kill the odometer gears; the shrink is from the Gestalt school of psychology and not familiar enough to confirm.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
It does have the same set screw on the side.

I think Markos has both the radio and odometer knobs and was going to compare them side by side.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

I think Markos has both the radio and odometer knobs and was going to compare them side by side.

I'll try to get this done this evening. It's the bin second-from-the-bottom so it's a chore. I see that @enoz05 listed 2002 radio knobs for a good price so someone should pick them up!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay folks, The odometer reset shaft is 5mm at the head with a detent for the set screw. The hole on the reset knob is 5mm as well, and the set screw spacing aligns with said detent.

4F66B318-BFE7-4403-BEAD-BF6C19E95035.jpeg

02B6B45C-4BF2-4FE6-AF54-7B14485DEB0B.jpeg

The radio knob fits over the reset shaft but is too loose. Even with a set screw, fitment would be sloppy.

8090465B-77F1-41D6-BC77-DC7DA7FF5A68.jpeg

The headlight knob threads onto an M5 shaft. That means that the headlight knob has a diameter of about 4mm. The knob size is a very close match both in height and inner diameter. If you put the knob in a vice and use an M5 drill bit to the aluminum threads, you can quickly make the HL knob a perfect fit. Because the sleeve is aluminum. You use a real set screw from your favorite fastener shop. Drill a matching size and tap the sleep. It reads like a lot of effort but the total duration could be measured in minutes. It will take longer to source the tools (and possibly cost more than a genuine reset knob). However, if someone like @HARRY Malkasian was so inclined, he could scoop up HL switches and convert them to reset knobs.

A1F50611-C5B3-42F4-9AAD-763D4CF97B58.jpeg

The set screw itself is tiny, and an odd size.
9020571F-395C-4576-AF35-A36B1F8D3D76.jpeg

C9328F6D-B655-407D-AA30-4D3CADB07E6E.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Funny I missed that. At his price point I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them and experiment with a small sleeve to keep the knob snug.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I really do not understand why anyone who has a collector car or even a driver that is worth what any decent E9 is worth cares about the price of a part they so desperately need. I remember spending over $100 on phone calls to the UK looking for a special David Bowie cassette for my daughter when she was only 12 years old at a time when I didn't have $1000 in the bank.
Come on guys get those $25 parts you need now instead of looking for the s a me part for $15.
To me finding a 50 plus year old part is like finding a treasure at any price.
Just making noise.
Thanks

bmwsydney

Site Donor
Reaction score
Harry you are just making noise. It’s more important that the part is right. It’s always a risk. Nobodies seriously querying the price to much. It’s just a comment.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the part number. I have a few knobs that may have the same screw.
I'm confused, most likely my age, but is everyone only looking for the screw, or are there one or two members that need the knob also?
Thanks
I need the knob. The seller didn't know how to set the trip odometer. I found the cable hanging in the left compartment.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I need the knob. The seller didn't know how to set the trip odometer. I found the cable hanging in the left compartment.

Hi Drew,

I just connected the dots between you and the BAT listing. :D These odometer knobs are hard to find. I happen to have two genuine e9 odometer knobs and cables - so I will force the hoarder in me to give up a knob. :D Shoot me a PM if you know how. Otherwise I will reach out tomorrow.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Drew,

I just connected the dots between you and the BAT listing. :D These odometer knobs are hard to find. I happen to have two genuine e9 odometer knobs and cables - so I will force the hoarder in me to give up a knob. :D Shoot me a PM if you know how. Otherwise I will reach out tomorrow.
don't know the PM routine yet. I had the car sent to me from Maui to Ft. Lauderdale. Quite a story. My email is [email protected] contact me. Thanks, Drew

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Drew Gregg,

Bumping this threat TTT as a reference for your odometer knob that is en route. It’s missing the silver cap, which appears to be pressed in. Perhaps a member has a spare 2002 knob that you can scavenge for the silver cap.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is the size of a 02 the same diameter? 2000cs were smaller and may fit better.
I have knobs from 2002 but I am positive the silver part is larger.