announcing the coupe 'Ancestry' project

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hi everybody, a while back our friend @HB Chris started an excel spreadsheet to try to find out how many of the coupes were still 'living'. we know that there are those who have returned to dust and others that have been totaled ... and we don't really have records on a lot of those as they are presumed lost forever. i have already spoken to a few people to gather some info, and i find it interesting ... a lot of work ... but hopefully it can help build the community. i am currently focusing on the NA area, and the CSL community. IF i don't run out of steam, i will transition to Europe.

the first part - i am not trying to flood my 'conversation' inbox, but what i would like people to do is to ask that your coupe VIN is in your signature and i will try to rescue those as i can. if you haven't posted in a long time or are new - please reply to this thread with the VIN and your name / general location (don't need addresses). after i capture the information, i will delete your post. if you would rather not have your info posted on a thread, please start a conversation with me.

second part - if you know any history on the car, that would be great such as previous owner(s), any color changes, etc. i am not documenting things like engine or tranny changes, and i don't care about the interior.

third part - if you do know the VIN of any crashed or 'dust' cars, please post here.

fourth part - if you have sold your coupe, please let me know who you sold it to, and if you know the city / state they live in ... that would be good. i would ask that you DM me on this information as i don't want that posted publicly.

item last - this is NOT a document that is going to be posted on the forum or distributed (for obvious reasons). i would like to put state lists together of current coupe owners ... for instance, Gary Beck, Robert Patton, Brendan Digel, a 2002 friend and I got together for a spur-of-the-moment dinner last week ... Dan Wood wasn't able to join us. with good lists, its easier to get groups together ... or finding people to visit when you go to a different city.

for example - this is some info on @Drew Gregg coupe that i have been able to find in the CS Register information that I received from @paul cain ... and a little more from Drew.
2250xxxRichard O'Dwyer (Beverly, MA)Agave (9/90)
sold in 91Woody Huntington (Hancock, NH)Agave (12/91)
sold in 2005Shawn Connor (Maui)Nachtblau
bought 11/18Drew GreggNachtblau / Turkis

Last edited:
Don't we already have this at https://bmwcsregistry.org/list/ ?

Scott Andrews did a very thorough population count analysis a few years ago, the methodology probably still holds, the population is probably up as cars were saved lately I believe.

Don't we already have this at https://bmwcsregistry.org/list/ ?

Scott Andrews did a very thorough population count analysis a few years ago, the methodology probably still holds, the population is probably up as cars were saved lately I believe.
we have some of this information, but its a bit cumbersome for me ... and i have found that it is not that up-to-date. there is also no history there of previous owners, some color change listings. for instance, many posts are just listed as USA for location and many don't have names.

Last edited:
@rsporsche , to make your life easier with this task, perhaps using the format that you show above would help standardize.

Should the registry be updated to capture details in the manner you envision?

Last edited:
there are a lot of limitations to the registry. its not sortable other than very basically ... and once you leave + comeback, finding your last place is difficult. i have looked through many listings and names / locations are the biggest missing information. i am looking through the registry and the old CS Register magazines already.

the post above regarding @Drew Gregg shows the information that i am using -
vin
if you know the build date
when you bought or sold the car
previous owner(s) + location
color / previous color

How can I change my emial on the CS Registry. It appears the email I used was my old work email and I do not have my password. To reset it sends it to a email that no longer exist.

Doing a detailed database, especially for CSL models, is a very sensitive thing. I suspect that the pendulum is swinging to paranoia and anonymity these days.

hi everybody, a while back our friend @HB Chris started an excel spreadsheet to try to find out how many of the coupes were still 'living'. we know that there are those who have returned to dust and others that have been totaled ... and we don't really have records on a lot of those as they are presumed lost forever. i have already spoken to a few people to gather some info, and i find it interesting ... a lot of work ... but hopefully it can help build the community. i am currently focusing on the NA area, and the CSL community. IF i don't run out of steam, i will transition to Europe.

the first part - i am not trying to flood my 'conversation' inbox, but what i would like people to do is to ask that your coupe VIN is in your signature and i will try to rescue those as i can. if you haven't posted in a long time or are new - please reply to this thread with the VIN and your name / general location (don't need addresses). after i capture the information, i will delete your post.

second part - if you know any history on the car, that would be great such as previous owner(s), any color changes, etc. i am not documenting things like engine or tranny changes, and i don't care about the interior.

third part - if you do know the VIN of any crashed or 'dust' cars, please post here.

fourth part - if you have sold your coupe, please let me know who you sold it to, and if you know the city / state they live in ... that would be good. i would ask that you DM me on this information as i don't want that posted publicly.

item last - this is NOT a document that is going to be posted on the forum or distributed (for obvious reasons). i would like to put state lists together of current coupe owners ... for instance, Gary Beck, Robert Patton, Brendan Digel, a 2002 friend and I got together for a spur-of-the-moment dinner last week ... Dan Wood wasn't able to join us. with good lists, its easier to get groups together ... or finding people to visit when you go to a different city.

for example - this is some info on @Drew Gregg coupe that i have been able to find in the CS Register information that I received from @paul cain ... and a little more from Drew.
2250486Richard O'Dwyer (Beverly, MA)Agave (9/90)
sold in 91Woody Huntington (Hancock, NH)Agave (12/91)
bought in 2005 sold in 2018Shawn Connor (Maui)Agave/ Nachtblau
bought 11/2018Drew Gregg (Ft.Lauderdale, FL)Nachtblau / Turkis
Scott--You might want to add the color change across from Shawn Connor (changes made in your list). He bought the car Agave and had it painted Nachtblau. Then add my address as Ft. Lauderdale, FL.. The state list is a good idea for E9 owners to get together. We have several owners just in the South Florida area.
Drew

Doing a detailed database, especially for CSL models, is a very sensitive thing. I suspect that the pendulum is swinging to paranoia and anonymity these days.
exactly the reason that this document won't be available online and won't be distributed as a complete document. the car VIN is the organizing element that is the static item, owners change, locations change. whenever i sort it to provide people in a locale, VIN / model will NOT be part of the information that is distributed. this is also another reason that i do NOT want anybodies actual address.

Scott--You might want to add the color change across from Shawn Connor (changes made in your list). He bought the car Agave and had it painted Nachtblau. Then add my address as Ft. Lauderdale, FL.. The state list is a good idea for E9 owners to get together. We have several owners just in the South Florida area.
Drew
already done ... i realized that i hadn't put it in when i added it to the post.

Last edited:
How can I change my emial on the CS Registry. It appears the email I used was my old work email and I do not have my password. To reset it sends it to a email that no longer exist.
Mike,

1st login - in the upper right corner, click on 'my account'. then on the left middle, click on 'change email' ...

Congratulations! You start on a really ambitious and demanding task which probably keep you busy for the next decades. Good idea to focus on a few characteristics only, everything else will sooner or later explode right in front of you. I work on the E3-Club's Excel sheet for eleven years now. Always two dozen or more cars, existing or gone, waiting to be added, probably because I'm usually too lazy to add them right away. We keep our registry to the board members, more or less the same you intend to do. It is very satisfying to see the sheet get longer every month or so. Impossible to keep it actual over time, most keepers won't probably inform you when they sell their cars. Only thing I regret is that we did not start the registry about 20 years earlier before thousands of cars were pressed to cubes. Wish you all the best for your registry, and I hope you will never run out of steam.

i got a really great head start from @HB Chris ... most of the VINs that are out there already had some basic information. i'm hoping to find a lot more ... i spent a long time doing family ancestry, so i know how much work it is. i found many UK family records back to the year 1000.

We did that a few years ago… found the arrest warrant for my hoodlum Irish relatives when they were put into indentured servitude for stealing…. Which is how we came to the States.

Hi,

Could someone please help me enter my car on the registry?

When I try to register on the CS Registry, it gives the following error: User registration is not enabled

When I try to log in using the forum credentials, it says: The user doesn't exist

Thank you.

Hi,

Could someone please help me enter my car on the registry?

When I try to register on the CS Registry, it gives the following error: User registration is not enabled

When I try to log in using the forum credentials, it says: The user doesn't exist

Thank you.
I had that problem when I tried to register as well. @dang had to change some setting to make it work if I recall correctly.

-Dan

Back