Another BaT Coupe

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That's pretty nice - wonder what it will go for?
It seems like you guys are literally tripping over them in the US.
Over here in Australia you might see three advertised in a year.
That said a few do change hands privately but that would only be a handful.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks fabulous, but what's going on w/the inner fender seam? Just bad lighting?

IMG_20171117_135941.jpg

IMG_20171204_123540.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hard to tell due to lighting on driver side but passenger side looks perfect, nice tight seam with factory crimp/indentations. A six figure coupe but may not hit reserve, too many buyers see $32K coupes and think all can be bought at that price.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hmm.
That first pic also shows what looks like a big crack in the paint running parallel to the left of the sticker.
If it is the only reason for it would be if the metal (or filler) was moving - right?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
teahead said:
Obviously repaired, but...hmm...
When I look at the restoration images (which I appreciate that they are plentiful), I see a number of details I'd do differently - primarily contaminated welds, poor weld penetration, and concealed areas that do not appear to have been addressed. But I am curious what you see in that image that doesn't look right. I'd like to learn what others' eyes see, especially the knowledgeable eyes of this group. Thanks!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is it me, or is this image Photoshopped? And if so, why Photoshop the gravel around the base of the rotisserie? That just makes me want to scrutinize the rest of the images that much more...
IMG-20160905-WA0017jpg_0.jpg

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is it me, or is this image Photoshopped? And if so, why Photoshop the gravel around the base of the rotisserie? That just makes me want to scrutinize the rest of the images that much more...
View attachment 34349

Think they have just scrubbed the date/time stamp from the image.
Another option is it's a professional photographer's logo and they don't have permission to use it.
The rest of the image of the car looks fine.
Bit hard to comment on the actual subject matter from that distance.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are lots of minor things I would have done differently such as the underside which is body color. He used the correct color of primer, the greenish khaki, but it should be grey over that. He kept the subframes the greenish grey instead of shooting them black, kudos. The Baikal paint looks too blue and too bright but it might be the camera, Baikal is blue grey, I don’t see enough grey. Leather seats have wrinkles and such where it is tucked. A NA market coupe wouldn’t have an E sticker, eveidence that many apply whatever comes in their sticker kit. Love the sport steering wheel. No trunk wheel arch covers. As an early 3.0CS it still has the rear mounted shoulder belts so pre-Jan 1972. So many photos I dread going back through them!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In closer inspection (of the photos), I see that the series of three photos outside on rotisserie all have that same smudge. I don't think this is Photoshop - rather perhaps a drop of water or gook on the lens. I stand corrected.

I still am a critic of the welds and some metalwork. But many nicely done details, too.

teahead said:
THis is how I like to see restored inner fender seams:
For some reason I am only seeing one of your photos, but YES, that looks very nice and clean.

I know that some/many are proponents of putting the tar pads back on. But I prefer a restoration of this level to skip them. Seems like a risky detail. But I understand that it does not look as original.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think he kept the tar pads but so much paint on them hides the texture, the seam looks good to me.

Yeah I agree. The lighting is playing negative tricks on this coupe, with shadows and the elusive Baikal color. Everything looks better in natural light if you have the weather to do it.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is an outstanding car. Some pictures of the restoration process certainly show a Baikal car even if the photographer seems to want to show an electric blue one.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is so great to see this many photos of what appears to be a pretty comprehensive restoration. Any time a car is disassembled this far, and mounted to a rotisserie for 360 degree access to the sides and bottom, better work results. And with this many images of the process, it is providing a lot of information for us to comment on and learn from.

With that in mind, I'd still like to learn what others see in this collection of resto photos that either demonstrates good/best practice, and what could maybe be done to improve the integrity and/or longevity of the car - all in the spirit of constructive knowledge sharing and enthusiast benefit. I've given about 2 cents worth of weld weenie comments. But there is a lot of metal work to look at and discuss in this collection.

An example:
HB Chris said:
He used the correct color of primer, the greenish khaki,...
Aside from being able to say this color is similar to the original some 45 years ago, is there a benefit to this product? It seems there may be better technologies and chemistries of sealers, epoxy primers, etc that would outperform the original solution that BMW used (which I don't think really held up to the test of time).

In looking at those fender seams, I agree that the lighting and photography seem not to be representing the work as well as it should. And it seems that the tar pads are likely not original material and/or correct, as they are curling up and delaminating?. This is resulting in some photo views that conceal what is likely a better looking seam that we think (without seeing it in person). There's a lot to like here - I'm hoping to learn about the not so good stuff and learn from the good stuff! Thanks!

Last edited: