Another Historic racer nearing completion...

robertb

Reaction score
Havent been here for a while so i thought i would renew acquaintances..
Here i have a few photos of my old 2800 CS which i have done an enormous amount of restoration on .. i.e rust removal. I had always wanted to run a batmobile in local events and hence this is where im at..
The motor is an M30 Alpina (with the great oil squirters onto the bores) and the head is from a 535i with the big valves.. new rods pistons etc etc but i have retained the original 80mm stroke crankshaft to make it a "revver". Of course it has been totally balanced as well and a lovely lightweight steel flywheel..
The ITB's are from AT Power in England..
All of the body bits are from Zaprace and it will be in the Gitanes livery which i have always admired
The gearbox is an E36 M3 close ratio 5 speed which has been mated to an M30 bell housing..
I will post some more pictures after the doors are on etc..

Attachments

• IMG_2426.JPG
    IMG_2426.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 263

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
beautiful
that is on my wet dreams, to have a classic street version and a classic race version
could you be so kind to explain a little bit more the details of the engine work
i have just bought an spare engine, and i am thinking on doind something radical with it

regards

robertb

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Just to answer a few questions..
I am using a megasquirt 2 as an engine management system and i have built this up myself... i am using it to control the injection and the spark so i have removed the distributor completely.
Regarding the engine.. it is using forged CP pistons with about a 12.5:1 compression ratio. I am using a 313 degree cam so it wont be any good on the road..I am not using any belts at all from the engine.. no power steering , no brake boost and no water pump.. I am using an inline electric pump which also negates the need for a thermostat and gives about 8 HP extra.. The alternator is being driven from the differential and is mounted in the rear of the car..
The car has coil-overs all round and the rear trailing arms are out of an early 635CSi which means they have the nice disc brake setup.
The seats are an old set of Cobras which look very much like Scheel seats. I picked them up for next to nothing on eBay and i have had them re upholstered in the same material as the original Scheel seats..

shanon

Reaction score
neat project.

think I have a toy of the Gitane car.....

Where are you or what is the local track(s) you be running?

all the best
-shanon

robertb

Reaction score
Im in Brisbane, Australia Shannon... probably a bit far for a visit... Ill be running at both of our local tracks at Lakeside and Queensland Raceway and also hopefully a lot of the historic events...