Another newbie from Western Australia

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Greetings fellow e9'ers !

I own a 1974 3.0csi (RHD manual ) which I bought about 27 years ago . It has Australian Compliance plate and I believe it was delivered new here in Perth . I'm trying to track down some of the previous owner history but privacy laws are something of an impediment .I did have some documentation when I bought the car from a dealer but unfotunately it is long gone . The vin is 4350181 if that assists any "detectives" out there . Colour is Polaris Neu . I believe the car is pretty original in all respects and will propably keep it that way save for some changes such as wheels etc that can be readily reversed . The original seat coverings are the blue velour ;though not as robust as leather , the refurbished blue velour will nevertheless complement my white flared trousers and cravat :)

Anyway, about 20 + years ago the car underwent ( from memory ) full engine rebuild and body back to bare metal . It was pushed into the garage about 12 years ago after it did a head gasket and has remained largely untouched . Enthusiasm has now returned and though the car "looks the goods" there were some suspicious "bubbles" in the lower sill panels near the rear wheels ( yes, it has a sunroof !) . After a bit of enthusiastic prodding with a chisel ( screwdrivers are for wimps !) my fears were confirmed . Not sure of full extent but hopefully rocker panels will be ok ...more to come .

I will no doubt be calling upon the significant expertise that exists here. It is very sad that I will never have the opportunity to correspond with the the great Murray Fowler but take comfort in reruns of his inspiring video .

Kind regards to all. Simon

rodspock

Reaction score
Simon,

There are a handful of E9s here in Australia. There are two others in the West on this forum - one orange CSL and a green car.

Your chassis number is a fairly late build. Has your blue velour worn well, or has it faded?

It is a good decision to rebuild your E9. A silver CSi (now running triple webers) has just come onto the market for 65K Aussie! Check out Carpoint.com.au and search E9.

Cheers,

Rod
(Brisbane)

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Thanks Rod, yes, I saw that one at $65k...a great incentive for rebuild and helps justify expense with the wife :lol: ...hope he gets his price !

The velour is old and tired...like me .The seats will need to be completely redone in due course and have been covered in sheepskins since I bought it ...the carpet however is in remarkably good condition for it's age . The rust issue is the first thing I want to get addressed and I suspect that's when the tears will start ...I get the impression you need to have a very good sense of humour to own an E9

Yes, I see there are a few E9's over this way and I believe the BMW club over here is having a display on 23rd Feb so I will probably go along to see if some e9s show up .

Cheers, Simon

nice colour

Reaction score
another newbie with a completed E9 Western Australia

Hi Simon, I have just finished rebuilding my green (Tundra) E9 here in Western Australia.The Vin number 2262120 and I have just registered mine on E9 driven. There are more than 10 E9's I know being driven here in Perth. There are also 2 currently under restoration and several wrecks around. I was lucky to have help with my restoration from a friend who owned 2 E9's. My car will be at Westcoast BMW for display this Saturday (23/2/2013). Hope to see you there and hopefully any other BMW enthusiast who would like to come and have a look.

Cheers Mark

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Hi Mark, I'm wondering if there are are more E9's per capita in Perth than anywhere else/universe ?

I wont be pushing my csi to Westcoast and will park the Merc around the corner out of sight .I'm easily recognised with my rust coloured clothing.

See you Saturday .... Byo vegemite sandwiches ?

Cheers , Simon