Another Wes & Lola Adventure!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Things started getting a bit frayed around the Young household toward the back end of the Easter break. Two solid days of rain didn't help. At Lola's suggestion we went for a 'Rain Drive.' Plan was to do around 100km in a loop to the south from our house, with the obligatory secret stop for an ice cream.

Another aspect of these events is 'sad car spotto,' whereby Lols & I try to see cars under trees, hidden in sheds or who knows where else from the comfort of our car.

Not that we keep score but it's 1/0 Lola's way as she found the only sad car we've ever brought home, a super rare 1973 Subaru GSR coupe. I'm 18 months into restoring that one.

Anyway, back to our most resent outing. Lots of the usual 'appreciating classics' found today such as early Toyota Tarago's, Corolla's and the odd Australian car - such as a Holden Gemini.

I managed to get a couple of runs on the board spotting 2 x E30 4 door sedans in a field. Spoke to the owner and they are now on the way to a local BMW wrecker - nothing too special there.

Perhaps I was watching the road a little too hard, or it might have been the ice cream taking my attention but Lola claimed to have spotted a red car 'back there' 'sticking out of a pile of blackberries.'

We turn the car around and pull up at where a local cool store/orchard was until about 10 years ago when it burnt down. Pulling off the road this is what greeted me.

e12found.jpeg

I should also mention that it was side-ways raining at this point as well. We confirmed the sighting of an e12 in the wild and returned home.
After a bit of mucking around I was able to locate the owner a few days later. I explained the whole story as to how we found it and that we have 'a couple' of other BMWs.

Pausing for a moment he then said well in that case you can have it but you need to take it away. I was torn.

Do I need another project?

No.

Worse still it was now 2/0..

We went back today and cut all the bush away to take a better look. Car is a 1980 528i. Surprisingly little rust, bit in windscreen and bottom of guards.

No bonnet, that went in the fire and explains why car is still there.

e12side.jpeg

IMG_0322.jpg

How nice are those wheels. Couldn't see them to start with.
Tow truck arrives on Tuesday.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great idea of spending time! I would even imagine a film or series telling a stories of the father resurrecting forgotten cars in a bush or sheds with her daughter.

Many of us are looking for forgotten car's while just driving car or riding bike.

My old good friend found his motorcycle together with me long long time ago. Motorbike was just under the tree in the garden of old house covered with the thick carpet (which was good and bad at the same time). He fell in love to that machine and it was the beginning of his passion to motorbikes. He's made the motorcycle running, paint it and even mod it on his own way.

I'm in process of rescuing E30 (318is aka "baby M3"), taken from a pigsty, can you imagine :D

Can we expect an update and more about E12 528 on this forum or YT or... ?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great idea of spending time! I would even imagine a film or series telling a stories of the father resurrecting forgotten cars in a bush or sheds with her daughter.

Many of us are looking for forgotten car's while just driving car or riding bike.

My old good friend found his motorcycle together with me long long time ago. Motorbike was just under the tree in the garden of old house covered with the thick carpet (which was good and bad at the same time). He fell in love to that machine and it was the beginning of his passion to motorbikes. He's made the motorcycle running, paint it and even mod it on his own way.

I'm in process of rescuing E30 (318is aka "baby M3"), taken from a pigsty, can you imagine :D

Can we expect an update and more about E12 528 on this forum or YT or... ?

Happy to give updates, unless the mods rule it out of order :)
Used to own a 318is, nice cars.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great story most of us can relate to. On my infrequent train rides from Trenton, NJ to NYC I sit by the window on the right side heading north. Some amazing junk yard and backyard spottings I glance at as we speed by. And of course any true shops, garages and body shops are fair game.

Lola has what we call in my family, "Finding eyes." Go Lola.