Anticipation...

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I passed inspection today, on my second attempt. :D
I have to say, I wasn't prepared for the first inspection, and the inspector spotted a leaking fuel pump and leaking brake master cylinder that I would have wanted to repair anyway, but would not have detected had it not been up on a lift.
They even allowed me to keep the original documents, and are researching whether they can recover the original registration from Germany for my Tii that I registered in 2016! :)

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
First drive of the season...Yeah! :cool:

file3-5.jpeg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't want to speak for Barry, but a "rolled fender" would not be visible from the exterior of the car. It is simply rolling (smooth continuous bending) the return lip on the wheel well metal. The lip/return usually extends towards the tire about .75" (2 cm). Once rolled, it is more parallel to the outer portion, allowing for more room for the tire to clear. Not sure what Barry has going on there, but it appears to provide even more space than a stock fender that is rolled.?.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Indeed Willem, as Stephens says, those are cut, bend, welded … more than just rolled.
Just enough to clear 245's at all 4 corners.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Stephen, your description is pretty much what I imagined, as I've read references to a baseball bat being appropriate for the job!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Stephen, your description is pretty much what I imagined, as I've read references to a baseball bat being appropriate for the job!
Yikes! The old baseball bat trick!!! Stay as far away from that one as you can! That's how we used to do it and, unless you are very experienced with it, the results are likely to be marginal at best. Very hard to get a smooth consistent result. And the odds of cracking the paint are significant.
There are fender rolling tools available for fairly cheap these days and those are a much better way to do it.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ha ha. I agree. There is a tool made just for this. Eastwood sells a version for around $85 IIRC.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks both! It was just for my education... I have a nice new paint job, new stock Vredestein tires, and no desire to modify! I'm very new to the E9; I'm just so dazzled romping it "as is" that I'm years away from modifications!
My plan for the early season is enjoy romping this one on sunny days while I swap a newly-renovated (Wes Ingram) KF pump and injectors into The FunMobile on rainy days! If all goes to plan, I'll have it done mechanically by the end of the month, and then the tuning starts! ;)

DSC_0034 - Copy.JPG

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yep, when you're up there and the clouds white out the road, or after dark you really appreciate those white lines along the side of most roads!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Yes, that was a nice landscape ! It was day 1 of the Tulip rally.. we started in Annecy to do that pass and later on we got lost :D
I do not remember exact locations, a bit pitty , in rally you only can enjoy the views half time and half time navigation/driving.
Perhaps Willem , you know that place ? your castle ? :)
dag1 013.JPG

Just before the start in Annecy we had a leaking oil cooler..... :mad:

dag1 003.JPG

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you need a 'fog light/rear defroster' switch for your solenoid heater bypass valve, I have a spare I can send you.
Andrew, thanks again for that switch and the recommendation on the heater bypass solenoid. I've started my driving season and during a 2-hour drive through nice winding country roads, I fully appreciated how much heat can build up in the cabin! Nice sunny days, but the air is still crisp, so I had the windows mostly closed and it gets right warm!:eek:
I'm in the middle of open-heart surgery on the Tii, so I won't tackle it right away, but it definitely moved up on my list of projects for The Unicorn!