Antifreeze question

dbower

Reaction score
During a recent discussion at the Vintage, the topic of antifreeze arose. Folks who should know claim that classic vintage BMW's should not be using BMW brand antifreeze, because BMW has changed the formulation to suit new metals in modern BMW cooling systems. Instead, we should be using any antifreeze (with distilled water) labeled "G-05." Zerex is one brand. What say ye?

Don

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IT MAKES ZERO DIFF IN OUR COUPES
OUR MOTORS ARE LIKE CHEVY SIXES
ANYTHING WORKS
COPPER RAD AND ALUM HEAD SIMPLE

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
During a recent discussion at the Vintage, the topic of antifreeze arose. Folks who should know claim that classic vintage BMW's should not be using BMW brand antifreeze, because BMW has changed the formulation to suit new metals in modern BMW cooling systems. Instead, we should be using any antifreeze (with distilled water) labeled "G-05." Zerex is one brand. What say ye?

Don

don, there is a general agreement on the idea do not use organic coolant, and if i were you i would use a recognizable brand, that is all

i say use inorganic, and i say no colors, because depending on your country color may vary, here inorganic is yellow

i use valeo 50/50 inorganic

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Presstone makes at least three different formulations of coolant. Suggest you read this article from Hemmings:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/08/01/tech-101-the-colors-of-antifreeze/

If you’ve upgraded to a modern radiator and heater core you can use the newer and superior OAT and HOAT type.

In my old cars I use the old “green” IAT stuff and at the two year mark I add a bottle of additives ( No-Rosion ) to replace any consumed anti corrosion additives (IAT). Then I change at 4-5 years.

If I felt I had excessive cooling system capability I’d switch to Evans waterless.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i recently drained the green anti-freeze from my e9, and replaced it with G-05. This has long been the recommended antifreeze for aluminum block/head/etc. engines. 1 1/2 gallon of G-05 and remainder of fill is distilled water. We rarely get to 0 degrees F here, and the car is in a garage all winter - heated about half of the time.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Because e9’s have no air in the main system supposedly we can use the newer OAT and Hybrid types safely. However, I’ve seen a few places suggest caution with systems that have brass radiators with lead solder.

I have an OE radiator so, I use IAT “conventional green,” put in an anti corrosion additive at the two year mark, and change after 4-5 years. I imagine I could do even better with OAT if I add some no-rosion at the start and then again at year 2-3.

My biggest PITA is recycling the used coolant. Radiator shops are getting scarcer and our local recycling services don’t take coolant. The last time I recycled I think I had something like 12 gallons of the stuff. Makes Evans waterless look better and better.