any good e30 M3 Forum out there?

loloe13

Reaction score
as the title suggest, I am hoping that someone may know of a good forum that they can recommend to get info and classifieds on the e30 M3.

I have joined the s14.net forum which is good...... but just not 'great' like our e9coupe.com

background story is that I have started to grow a bit of interest in this first M3. like to learn more about the car before I make any bold move in getting one. it will never be as special as my e9, but I am imagining that it will be a good alternative driving machine for those wet rainy days here in Melbourne, which is quite frequent these days.

but if any local Oz guys know of a good decent one for sale, please let me know (or pm me). All the special evolution versions are probably going to be out of my reach financially, but I do prefer LHD samples only.

any good advice for purchasing an e30 M3 also welcome

Thanks in advance
Gavin

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I owned one for a while, a 1990 with about 55k miles. Bought it from a 94 year old man. Sold it a few years ago. Nice driving car, but the US versions were just too plush--leather, power sunroof, power locks, etc. Not raw enough for me.
They handle well, but all th roads around here are straight and flat, so the good handling is wasted.
Not a lot of torque. I got the 550 Maranello after that, with 420 ft/lbs of torque! That makes me smile.

Look for rust, battery box in trunk, around license plate light, base of windshield, etc.
Tough to find one that hasn't been modified/ lowered.
Parts are easy to find.

Confirm it runs cool, with the needle in the middle of the gauge all the time. Overheating these engines is not good. Regular coolant and brake flushes by the PO are something to look out for.

You can probably drive an m30 100 miles without coolant or oil, not so an s14.

Power locks can be a PITA. Otherwise, they are very robust cars, very rigid chassis (for the era), beautiful steering.

if you have some fun twisty roads near you, go for it!

Scott

as the title suggest, I am hoping that someone may know of a good forum that they can recommend to get info and classifieds on the e30 M3.

I have joined the s14.net forum which is good...... but just not 'great' like our e9coupe.com

background story is that I have started to grow a bit of interest in this first M3. like to learn more about the car before I make any bold move in getting one. it will never be as special as my e9, but I am imagining that it will be a good alternative driving machine for those wet rainy days here in Melbourne, which is quite frequent these days.

but if any local Oz guys know of a good decent one for sale, please let me know (or pm me). All the special evolution versions are probably going to be out of my reach financially, but I do prefer LHD samples only.

any good advice for purchasing an e30 M3 also welcome

Thanks in advance
Gavin

gary bellamy

Reaction score
Re E30 M3

It's not just evos, really nice regular E30 M3's are rising in price. Good luck with your search.

Gary

86M535I

loloe13

Reaction score
Mike, Chris, Scott, Gary, Jean, thanks for the tips.

there are so many listed e30 forum, its hard to know which one is better, but I will definitely have a look at the ones mentioned.

a 1990 evo M3 just turned up on classifieds in Queensland here, converted to RHD, but still asking for 90,000aus (~83,000us)

and Scott, yes, lots of twisty country roads here to conquer

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gavin,

i too had an e30 m3. i was offered a reasonable amount of money for my '88 alpinweiss ... and ended up buying a coupe. the e30 m3 is one of the best cars i have owned. the cayman s is a similar driving (very balanced on the edge), just with a lot more torque and HP ... at a very similar weight.

the bmw cca e30 m3 special interest group (SIG) is very, very good. check out http://www.bimmers.com/m3/ this will get you to a good base of information. it won't get you into the archives though.

take a poke around ... drop me an PM and i can help connect you to a few very knowledgeable people in that group
scott

loloe13

Reaction score
Scott,

I had a brief look at the bimmer.com site and it certainly looked well set up. I will do more digging around. Thanks.
The Cayman is certainly one slick car. I still remember seeing a limited edition one in middle of Tokyo that really stood out. It was a black car with a single thick matt-black strip running from front to end. At that moment, I really thought, this is the car that Darth Vadar will drive. :razz:
Gavin

Gavin,

i too had an e30 m3. i was offered a reasonable amount of money for my '88 alpinweiss ... and ended up buying a coupe. the e30 m3 is one of the best cars i have owned. the cayman s is a similar driving (very balanced on the edge), just with a lot more torque and HP ... at a very similar weight.

the bmw cca e30 m3 special interest group (SIG) is very, very good. check out http://www.bimmers.com/m3/ this will get you to a good base of information. it won't get you into the archives though.

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I really like this site

http://forum.s14power.com/

Very heavy on tech with many knowledgeable posters from around the world. When you go there be sure to find posts by "conrod" in NZ. He has restored/updated a couple of Group A cars and has also manufactured a number of reproduction race parts. He is a real craftsman.

I've owned several E30 M3s and if you accept them for what they are, homologation cars for the street, they a among the best ever in that category, in my opinion. I drove my first one from Seattle to Laguna Seca and back twice. They actually seem to smooth out and quiet down at about 75 MPH.

Without question, this is a car that should hold its value so the advice of buying the best you can afford is applicable for sure.