Any tips to install the little plastic grommets that keep door lock linkages from rattling?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are 3 "linkages" around the door lock and opening mechanisms. There are plastic grommets that are supposed to go in the holes through which those linkages pass through in order to stop them from rattling. I bought some new ones from Mesa Performance and tried to install them. The one behind the door armrest location is not too difficult because there is decent access. But the two around the door lock are very difficult to press into place. Any tips to help make this work?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 150

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Remove door lock handle mechanism, that one is easy. I use a 90 degree needle nose plier to open up the hook at the other end, slip the rod out, now two are done. The last one for the vertical rod can be opened with the 90 pliers too.
Place grommets in their latches first, slip rods back thru grommets using the 90 again if needed, then gently crimp back to original.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ah that makes sense. I was hesitant to do anything to the rods, such as bending them, in case that would cause long-term damage. But this sounds way easier than the way I was trying to do it.
Awesome!
All I need to do now is another trip to the hardware store to get some 90° pliers.
Thank you Chris!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just to button this up, I was able to bend the ends of each of those rods using regular needle nose pliers and the channel lock pliers from the tool kit.