Anybody running an Aux/electric Fan?

shanon

Reaction score
Hey Coupers,

Took my 'coastal coupe' 30 miles inland to different climate over the weekend and got to watch my temp go higher than I like.

Anybody got a brand/model/size preference and/or recomendation?
I know I need a 'pusher'....

Stay cool.... 8)

-shanon
'70 2800cs

threewebers

Reaction score
Cooling

I'm using an electric puller type mounted on a aluminum shroud with a aftermarket radiator (ron davis) My car dosen't run so I can't tell you how it actually works,I hope i'll be able to sometime soon .Are you going to be running with your brother shawn at a track soon?The last timeI saw him his battery died on the front straight at willow and his wife was expecting??She was really enthusiastic about racing and was upset that she could"nt drive her very trick 2002!I wish I could find a wife like that one!

shanon

Reaction score
hey hey 3web

I wont be out there 'til the new motor goes in this fall/winter. But Shawn 'might' be at Cal Speedway this month going toe to toe with another infamous E9er, keep your fingers crossed that the mechanical gods shine in time for the other E9er to come out and play. Shawn's definitely at Laguna this June, he's trying out a locked 4.27 rear. Should be interesting.

-shanon

Malc

Reaction score
E28 (5 series) A/C fan is a "pusher" type. In fact any A/C fan off 1970 - 1990s BMW would work as an aux fan, assuming you don't have AC!
Malc

lloyd

Reaction score
Another alternative?

I know your post sought electric fan advice. Since you are asking about a 2800 model, assuming it is stock, there is another consideration. Your fan clutch is probably worn (there is friction material that does wear in there.) Assuming your radiator is decent, if the current fan clutch is "lazy" or "non functioning" you have a couple of choices other than adding auxiliary cooling.

1. Replace the current fan clutch with a newer one.

2. Upgrade your mechanical fan to one of the newer viscous fan clutch setups found on later 6cylinder models. This does involve changing to a different style fan clutch. I believe you can search the archives for more detail on this subject.

By the way, many years ago I had an overheating problem that required pulling the head. Rather than repeat this problem and because I had a few electric fans available, I made the effort to install one. Turns out that with the upgrade to a newer 8, 9, 11? blade fan setup, the electric fan was overkill. In two years of driving it was never needed and I removed it as dead weight.

Good luck

For informational purposes here is what BluMax had to say on the subject:

"I have retained original E-9 radiator--with brass end tanks and have re-cored with triple core+installed upgraded viscous fan--the major cause of overheat with the E-9 & E-3's that I have observed through ownership of 5 early cars--they came with the original two row core. a wimpy five blade fan and the old type fan clutch that was the main contributor for failure--it would silently wear out unbeknownst to the owner and the first sign was an overheat usually in traffic where no airflow was available to kept its cool.

Also--when these cars were designed the German engineers designed cooling systems to operate in moderate European climates--not the temparature ranges experienced throughout the U.S.--they also assumed that owners would regularly service their cooling systems--a foolish assumption based on my years of active ownership and observations at my local Independent BMW shop--periodic service--by draining, flushing coolant and replacing with a 50/50 coolant/H2O solution+a new thermostat every 60K miles and all new hoses with fresh clamps as necessary every 100K will prevent overheat issues--but is almost universally ignored by even well intended owners.

Since thorough sorting of my cooling systems--never a problem here in sunny SoCal--have driven in 100+F temps. on Freeways sometimes bumper to bumper, desert running at high speed and mountain driving--without an over-heat.

consider this--the early brass radiator parts and overflow tank are by far better quality, they are repairable and more durable than new stuff--and suggest stay away from the plastic o'flow tank if possible--a real piece of junk!!"

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's my take -- unless you concours your car, install an electric fan. The late model viscous clutches die with frustrating regularity.

shanon

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone. My buggy already has newer radiator and later 9 blade fan assembly. I'm going for overkill since the car will being seeing triple digit climates and inevitable traffic jams in the future.

Initiating Project: 'Arctic Wind'

over & out
-shanon

Tyler

Reaction score
Hey Shanon - did you end up installing an electric pusher fan? If so, which model did you use? I'm thinking of installing an aux electric in anticipation of the eventual move back to sunny SoCal.

Thanks

shanon

Reaction score
yep.

Operation: Arctic Wind

1) Had radiator tested, what I thought was a good radiator was only operating at 20%! Had radiator rebuilt w/ a three core, high flow core (@ $300).

Recommendation: Have radiator pressure tested! A nice clean rad. that flushes clean doesn't mean it's working properly. The radiator shop instantly recognized the unit and called it : "..ah, ya got one of those head killers!"

2) Installed Flex-aLite 'Psyclone' pusher/puller fan (2500cfm!). Summit racing catalog @ $175 w/ relay (a must). Eliminated old fan entirely, got a couple ponies back in the process. Made some basic custom mounting brackets (AL strap) so fan is separate from radiator.

Operation: Arctic Wind has been very successful, possibly too successful in that motor might be running too cold. Don't use the fan that much. Sat in traffic for 1/1/2hrs (5mph) once and temp never got above 180 deg (with fan on). :p

good luck
-shanon

Sparky

Reaction score
Puller electric fan?

"threewebers" wrote about using a puller type electric fan back in 2006. Do you happen to remember what brand/model/size fan you used? Do you happen to have any pictures of this? I would like to delete the original fan from my M30B35 transplant into my air conditioned 71 2800 and I don't think a pusher fan would be very efficient with the AC condenser.

Is anyone else using a puller fan?

Thanks.

QUOTE=threewebers;7398]I'm using an electric puller type mounted on a aluminum shroud with a aftermarket radiator (ron davis)