Anyone have a greenhouse?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm building one now and learning as I go.

13x20 with the back five feet being a storage room/shed with solid walls. The front three walls will be vintage windows with 8ft stud walls and opaque polycarbonate roof panels that are around 50% light reduction. Two vents in the roof with some of the windows hinged for air flow, along with a 6ft ceiling fan. Designing as I'm going so it's a slow project.

Any suggestions?

20221009_180747.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine was built in 1965 by a former owner. The flowering cherry they planted next to it grew and made the greenhouse pretty much useless. I don't have the heart to take down either one of them.
View attachment 150171
Very cool! Considering all the plants around the outside of the greenhouse it seems like it would be useful. Your bird bath isn't level. Just sayin'! ;)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
We have an 8x10 plastic one that came with the house. I want to build a wood/glass one eventually. Ours is mostly used to start annuals and overwinter some potted plants and trees (Our olive tree for example). Other than that I store all of the watering related stuff in there, and a handful of regularly used rakes and shovels.

Biggest game changer for us was installing wax filled pistons on our roof vents. They auto open and close based on temp.

2EF1D3E1-0F31-4E82-8AF9-5FD06E87D31E.jpeg
902C0597-2C7B-42D0-922E-66AD4AF84AC8.jpeg

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wish I had an orangery...almost 80F today, and taking the big plunge to near freezing in the morning...time to drag the plant family in that over-winters inside my basement office...the Ficus, the Norfolk Island Pine, and the Walking stick cactus; that's the big stuff that's over 25 years old...and the asparagus ferns, the carnivorous pitcher plants, and other friends. Probably going to be a difficult winter; never seen so many acorns and hickory nuts, and pecans at my brother-in-law's.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I like those roof panels. They're too expensive for me. Something about greenhouses giving a relaxing vibe...

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine was built in 1965 by a former owner. The flowering cherry they planted next to it grew and made the greenhouse pretty much useless. I don't have the heart to take down either one of them.
View attachment 150171
That's no small undertaking what with the sunken design and concrete work required. Pretty cool.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is that a sign of a harsh winter ahead, more acorns, et al, than usual? It has been an acorn apocalypse here in Virginia Beach.
interesting you bring that up. Here in PA it seems like the severe acorn drop is every other year and this is our year off. I keep thinking that I need to build a carport for the daily drivers to keep them from getting pummeled from the damn acorns in the heavy years.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is that a sign of a harsh winter ahead, more acorns, et al, than usual? It has been an acorn apocalypse here in Virginia Beach.
That's what the old-timers (not to be confused with vintage German cars..) in the mountains here say....All weather prediction bets are off tho with the changes....Leafaggedon is in phase II right now.
I got popped/acorned, in the head outside yesterday and it, ahem, got my attention.
Love what you folks built in Maine!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Probably going to be a difficult winter; never seen so many acorns and hickory nuts
I think about this every year since I have a tree that drops acorns on top of my shop. Metal roof with no insulation... scares the crap out of me sometimes when a big one hits the roof. The acorns and leaves are about three inches deep outside my paint garage.