• Tapatalk is being removed immediately. There are security issues and there is no justification for having it anymore. I apolgize to those die-hard Tapatalk users but you'll need to start using the forums mobile version instead.

Anyone manage to disassemble the cap of the cooling fluid tank?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd like to de-rust and zinc the cap on the cooling fluid reservoir of my car, but i think the cap is clinced together.

Did anyone manage to further disassemble their cap?

I can dismantle a retainer, a washer and a spring, but ideally i'd like to seperate the top steel section of the cap.

Just zinc the whole assembly? I'm doubting it because of the copper/zinc and plastic and rubber parts; wouldn't they react funny in the elecyroplating process?

Anyone with advice?

Attachments

Stevehose

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yellow zinc new ones are available from bmw, my concern would be proper operation of the old one

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. I did consider that, but i'd like to retain the oem one. If it doesn't work, as you mention, i can always buy a new one.

And how about this part of the window washer fluid pump? It is steel, rubber and some sort of bronze or copper+zinc alloy

Attachments

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
And how about this part of the window washer fluid pump? It is steel, rubber and some sort of bronze or copper zinc alloy
Erik that piece of brass is not permanently attached to the steel cover. It just gets adhered over time. You can snap it off and then zinc plate the cover, which I have done. The rubber seal comes off as well and it's usually reusable.