Anyone use Walmart R-134 cans?

Honolulu

Reaction score
Wandering through Wally World today and noted 12-ounce cans of R-134a for about $7 each. Since I'm facing a new compressor, evacuate and recharge of the wife's C280 Benz, I wondered if anyone has used these...?

I'm a tad suspicious of the contents, but they are listed to contain 1,1,1,2 Tri-whatever, only.

gazzol

Reaction score
These type of air-con recharge cans are ok providing the system still has some pressure left in it. If the system is completly empty like after you've removed the pipes to change the pump then they aren't recomended because to re-charge the system properly you should first vacuum it to purge the system of air and moisture and then before adding the gas a special oil is injected to keep the pump lubricated. That said the air-con will work but it is likely that without the oil the pump won't have a good service life. If you try them add gas a bit at a time till it blows out nice cold air, if you add too much the system will stop working again and you'll need to let some gas out.

Honolulu

Reaction score
okay...

some of the cans had a bit of oil in them too; some had a UV dye for detecting leaks, and some also had some other compound that was supposed to make the air colder, faster. These last I distrust, but I know that oil has to be added, and that the system has be evacuted.

I have access to a neighbor's vacuum pump and a gage set, but I don't think he has R-134, and he doesn't have a proper scale to put in the correct weight of refrigerant. Just add until the low side pressure comes up to spec.

The wife wants to take the car to one of these "$40 recharge" places but I think that going to a ghetto shop is just guaranteed to be a bad idea...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tried and true method for that is keep adding until the thermometer dial in your vent quits going down. Once it stabilizes or goes up you are fully charged.

gazzol

Reaction score
Re: okay...

Honolulu said:
some of the cans had a bit of oil in them too; some had a UV dye for detecting leaks, and some also had some other compound that was supposed to make the air colder, faster. These last I distrust, but I know that oil has to be added, and that the system has be evacuted.

I have access to a neighbor's vacuum pump and a gage set, but I don't think he has R-134, and he doesn't have a proper scale to put in the correct weight of refrigerant. Just add until the low side pressure comes up to spec.

The wife wants to take the car to one of these "$40 recharge" places but I think that going to a ghetto shop is just guaranteed to be a bad idea...

To be honest if the "ghetto" shop does the job properly it'll be ok, ask them how long it takes and what the process involvles. you all ready know what is involved so you should know if he knows his stuff and it should take arrround 45 mins start to finish which includes 30 mins vacuuming time