Anyone using Weber's with Alpina (repro) plenum?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone using Weber's with Alpina (repro) plenum?
The wing nut that holds the cover onto the carburetor interferes
Is there a mod to the wing nut?
thanks

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone using Weber's with Alpina (repo) plenum?
The wing nut that holds the cover onto the carburetor interferes
Is there a mod to the wing nut?
thanks

I’ll be mocking mine up this week on the bench with the Korman manifold. Let the fiddling begin!

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, are you using Webers?
The top wing nut comes very close to the bottom of the plenum, but just clears if turned so it is aligned fore and aft, maybe it is fine
What are you doing for linkage?
It looks like we have to shorten the mounts and links

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, are you using Webers?
The top wing nut comes very close to the bottom of the plenum, but just clears if turned so it is aligned fore and aft, maybe it is fine
What are you doing for linkage?
It looks like we have to shorten the mounts and links

Hi Mark,

Yep I will be using webers. I plan to set them up before tearing the car apart. For linkages I will be using two balance levers, one of them with a ball joint on it. I am not using the Korman linkage.

20F63CFA-18EA-41A3-A043-08B52D2109E5.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @mark99,

I am indeed getting some very slight interference on my Weber 152’s. So minor that I could just grind the thumb screw down. With that said, I won’t be thumbing them open with the airbox in place. The thumb screw has female threads on the underside.

An alternative would be a “button head sex bolt”. Go ahead and google it at work folks.

I haven’t measured the diameter of the thumb screw but I’ll find something that works.

AA5485F2-0A1B-4DF5-83E2-3A92CA8A29F7.jpeg

939F917A-B1AF-4F11-AF4C-2F108C73E298.jpeg

31C2DC59-FD95-4A84-8B7F-A655955C4966.jpeg

44126D39-594C-48C2-AEF1-5316F3F96188.jpeg

And just because the work of @daddywad is just so damn impressive...

74298339-2622-4CDC-858F-EEEE497B134B.jpeg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @mark99,

I am indeed getting some very slight interference on my Weber 152’s. So minor that I could just grind the thumb screw down. With that said, I won’t be thumbing them open with the airbox in place. The thumb screw has female threads on the underside.

An alternative would be a “button head sex bolt”. Go ahead and google it at work folks.

I haven’t measured the diameter of the thumb screw but I’ll find something that works.

View attachment 71136

View attachment 71134

View attachment 71133

View attachment 71132

And just because the work of @daddywad is just so damn impressive...

View attachment 71141
exactly the problem, Mark that we bought these from does not have Webers
Were the "Purolator filter" letters in aluminum when you got it?
I thought the ALPINA letters looked garish, so I painted over them, then I decided it looked like I was too lazy to mask them so I polished them off
I also redid the texture

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I lust after that Alpina box. In Weber world, the thumb screw (jet cover) is referred to as the “mickey mouse hat.” :D

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That box is beautiful.

If I remember correctly, the thumb screw is pressed into the cap, with a seal around it. I would recommend grinding off the top half of the mickey mouse ears rather than trying to replace the thumb screw in order to retain the seal.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought this plenum because back in the day I had a 2002 with Webers and I had those foam filters with the wire cages
I hated those

daddywad

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been watching the thread with interest, I don't believe anyone I have sold the airbox to so far has any major issues in fitting it all together.

Remember that when Alpina released this airbox / carb arrangement on the B2 they used both Weber 45 and Solex 40/45DDH. It must have been tight but they obviously had used both Weber and Solex so they must have fitted OK. Also the manifolds used may affect the overall position of the carb as they are at an angle that sets the carbs up nearer the bottom of the airbox. The ones I sell are copies of the Alpina one and may therefore differ slightly from yours.

The airbox is a very accurate copy and should fit, I'm sure you will overcome the slight interference problems with some trial and error. Please keep the feedback going.

The "PUROLATOR FILTER" was standard and cast into the airbox.

Mark

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the PUROLATOR FILTER, what I was referring to was sanding them so they are natural metal, not painted black
From the measurements you sent me, I think my manifolds are very close, but we are talking fractions

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
exactly the problem, Mark that we bought these from does not have Webers
Were the "Purolator filter" letters in aluminum when you got it?
I thought the ALPINA letters looked garish, so I painted over them, then I decided it looked like I was too lazy to mask them so I polished them off
I also redid the texture

Mine came exactly as shown in my poor
quality pic. The whole thing is cast aluminum and is surprisingly heavy/sturdy. The aluminum letters have some visible swirls that I could care less about. The texture looks great IMO. I can’t stress enough how nice it is. A hand file would fix the clearance issue.

Here is the underside of the thumb screw. My calipers weren’t functioning this morning. The stud looks like an M6. I will measure the outer diameter of the hidden portion of the thumb screw, as it matches the opening on the cover plate. The threaded portion is flared on the end so it doesn’t fully disengage from the plate.

C7CC3091-DC63-4127-B023-6593F4D702A3.jpeg

6B918D99-8CD8-440A-AA1F-76BB5315A630.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@daddywad,

Do you have any recommendations on small trumpets/fillers for the DCOE’s. The trumpets slide
between the choke and the carb body. So when you remove them, you are left with a turbulent transition from the carb to the elbows. I also have a question about the brass inserts but I will take that offline.

I can design inserts for the choke transition but would prefer to just buy something. Given that @mark99 is a professional modeler maybe he can design them. ;) This is all based on the assumption that the elbows weren’t already port matched to the ID of the chokes.

B2A31931-E5CA-40CB-A1F1-8A2612313598.jpeg

Last edited:

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
@daddywad,

Do you have any recommendations on small trumpets/fillers for the DCOE’s. The trumpets slide
between the choke and the carb body. So when you remove them, you are left with a turbulent transition from the carb to the elbows. I also have a question about the brass inserts but I will take that offline.

I can design inserts for the choke transition but would prefer to just buy something. Given that @mark99 is a professional modeler maybe he can design them. ;) This is all based on the assumption that the elbows weren’t already port matched to the ID of the chokes.
are you using 40s or 45s?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
On mine, I had a a fine wrinkle, powder coat finish applied
Sanded the letters down to 1500 grit

Attachments

• DSC_2490.JPG
    DSC_2490.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC_2491.JPG
    DSC_2491.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 159

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@daddywad,

This is what I have been looking for. Something for you to consider offering @daddywad. With that said. I will simply turn off the end of my existing trumpets.

DC5ECB27-FC3D-4F49-963D-C35DE865CE4F.jpeg

6783F0EA-7B99-4448-8484-7A4139EB7774.jpeg

FB81DE6E-DFE8-4E75-9E45-0893BBFD71F6.jpeg

JamesE30

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have the original alpina b2 airbox and Solex carburettors.
One thing I don’t see in this thread are the rubber gaskets that mount between the airbox and intake runners which from memory are a couple mm thick.
I will try to snap some pics tonight, but I guess they would give the clearance you need. I am sure that can be easily replicated.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have the original alpina b2 airbox and Solex carburettors.
One thing I don’t see in this thread are the rubber gaskets that mount between the airbox and intake runners which from memory are a couple mm thick.
I will try to snap some pics tonight, but I guess they would give the clearance you need. I am sure that can be easily replicated.
Hi, thanks
I was wondering about the gasket, it seems like it should be rather thick and compliant and there are three separate parts (carburetors) mating to one surface and they would therefore not be perfectly planer