Apple AirTag

66toaster

Reaction score
Well, I thought I came up with a great money saving idea for my antique policy. Hide an Apple Airtag in my e9 & surely I would see a decrease in my premium. Not exactly said Hagerty. I would have to subscribe to an OnStar type of paid subscription for this to happen. Hagerty didn't mention what if any savings could be had. Is anyone signed up with this type of service?

Rek

Reaction score
I use one of these. Seems to work well and alerts to movement and continued operation, ie notifies you if its disconnected. It also maps where the car is quite accurately.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I throw one in all my vehicles, however my wife has the iPhone; I have droid.

The GPS ones require a monthly subscription. I use Kaiyo for that, which is only $5/mo. However, only works w/newer vehicles (ODB2 connector requires).

66toaster

Reaction score
I throw one in all my vehicles, however my wife has the iPhone; I have droid.

The GPS ones require a monthly subscription. I use Kaiyo for that, which is only $5/mo. However, only works w/newer vehicles (ODB2 connector requires).
But did your insurance company reduce your premium?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would think a hidden, well thought out kill switch would be more effective, depending on what the goal is. To save $50 a year or prevent the theft of the vehicle?

Doesnt the 123 distributors have an internal mechanism to deactivate the distributor?

66toaster

Reaction score
I would think a hidden, well thought out kill switch would be more effective, depending on what the goal is. To save $50 a year or prevent the theft of the vehicle?

Doesnt the 123 distributors have an internal mechanism to deactivate the distributor?
I have a kill switch on the battery & a club on the steering wheel. I keep the car unlocked as I'm always suspicious it may not unlock. Have 2 locks on the garage door. So yes to both of your questions, especially since I have 3 other cars insured with Hagerty.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last 2 stolen coupes that I have repaired had 20 cents of 12 gauge wire jumpered from battery to coil. Total waste of time to install a kill switch if a pro or an amateur thief wants your car. For 3.99 a month you can put a motion and sound detector camera connected to your internet via Wi-Fi. Use an old cell phone so the camera is free. Any sound, any motion and you get a text in real time. Cell phone app let’s you peek in your garage 24 hours a day and view your car.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would think a hidden, well thought out kill switch would be more effective,
A possible downside would be theft by towing. If you have ever seen some of the repo videos on YouTube, it takes literally seconds to tow away a car...even ones parked to prevent this. With a tracking device, you will at least know where it is if it is stolen.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
A possible downside would be theft by towing. If you have ever seen some of the repo videos on YouTube, it takes literally seconds to tow away a car...even ones parked to prevent this. With a tracking device, you will at least know where it is if it is stolen.
Then the question arises, is if your car gets jacked by that level of professional, how long would it stay in one piece? Not sure you'd get much back after 3-5 days!

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Then the question arises, is if your car gets jacked by that level of professional, how long would it stay in one piece? Not sure you'd get much back after 3-5 days!
For our cars, I think it's much more likely a stolen one would rapidly be loaded onto a ship and sent to a country where documents are easy to forge rather than being parted out.