Are these Alpina Wheels Real or Fake??

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Please click on the link and go through photos. The box next to the offset marking box on the wheel has the part number which starts with KBA followed by 6 numbers on two of the wheels yet the other two wheels do not have the part numbers that start with KBA and that box is left blank. These wheels do however all have the Alpina stamped on them as can be seen. does anyone have a difinitive answer why this is the case?

http://s1127.beta.photobucket.com/u...rt=3&o=8&_suid=135467079000404030610126236677

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those are genuine Alpinas. My set and all other Alpinas are stamped with the same KBA followed by a series of numbers.

Edit:
Missed the part about 2 of the rims missing the proper markings, will check all the rims when I will get home tonight. Maybe someone will chime in with the right info in the meantime.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine say Alpina cast in the Hub, where you see the writing on these.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
P1060886_2.jpg

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score

Is this aphoto of your wheel? I see yours is missing the KBA part number in the box next to the ET11 box also. These are real? I wonder if the KBA part number is something that was added in later years?

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you notice the wheel in the photo below has KBA40284 stamped in the box where your wheel has nothing stamped.

Attachments

• Alpina.jpg
    Alpina.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,069

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do notice that. I have a very good feeling by the amount of miles put on mine that they are real. I do think I notice my script seems more pronounced (sharper) Forum Experts, I don't need any bad news! <G>

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do notice that. I have a very good feeling by the amount of miles put on mine that they are real. I do think I notice my script seems more pronounced (sharper) Forum Experts, I don't need any bad news! <G>

Probably due to the thinner layer of paint laid down during the repaint. The repaint on my rims is a little thicker, therefore, the imprints are not as clear.

Just check all four of my Alpinas, All the 7" and 8" rims have the KBA.... on them.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Probably due to the thinner layer of paint laid down during the repaint. The repaint on my rims is a little thicker, therefore, the imprints are not as clear.

Just check all four of my Alpinas, All the 7" and 8" rims have the KBA.... on them.

So what is your opinion on the wheels without the KBA stamped on the wheels? I am confused what the repaint has to do with the KBA being stamped or not. No amount of paint will gide the KBA, it is raised a good amount. If thick paint covered the KBA it would also cover the Offset and other numbers in the other boxes.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
So what is your opinion on the wheels without the KBA stamped on the wheels? I am confused what the repaint has to do with the KBA being stamped or not. No amount of paint will gide the KBA, it is raised a good amount. If thick paint covered the KBA it would also cover the Offset and other numbers in the other boxes.

On the paint issue, I was just responding to Nicad's post about his "script seems more pronounced" than other rims, such as the set I have (repainted with not as clear stamped markings).

On the KBA... factor, it may have to do with when they were manufactured, these were made from the late 1970's to probably to the mid 1990's, so little things can change during the almost 2 decades of manufacture. Would not have any doubts that the wheels that are missing the cast markings are genuine Alpinas. Should not have any effect on their value and desirability.

Last edited:

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the paint issue, I was just responding to Nicad's post about his "script seems more pronounced" than other rims, such as the set I have (repainted with not as clear stamped markings).

On the KBA... factor, it may have to do with when they were manufactured, these were made from the late 1970's to probably to the mid 1990's, so little things can change during the almost 2 decades of manufacture. Would not have any doubts that the wheels that are missing the cast markings are genuine Alpinas. Should not have any effect on their value and desirability.

So you would feel comfortable investing over $2,000 on wheels that were missing the casting? I am hoping someone has difinitive information that can show without doubt if they are real or not and have the information to show that the castings were not on all Alpina wheels.

srennoc

Reaction score
Alpina wheels

Turn the wheel around and look at the backside of the spokes.. You should see the name Ronal & a cast date stamp into the wheel..Every Alpina set I own have these markings regardless of KBA stamping.. Check yours to see if it is there..

T

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Turn the wheel around and look at the backside of the spokes.. You should see the name Ronal & a cast date stamp into the wheel..Every Alpina set I own have these markings regardless of KBA stamping.. Check yours to see if it is there..

T

Do all your wheels also have the KBA part number or some don't?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
So here is a couple more tidbits about the Alpinas. As stated, Ronal is imprinted on one of the spokes and on the adjacent spoke there should be a month and year of manufacture. On my both of my 7" rims, there is a small circular stamping to indicate a manufacturing date of 86. This round stamping is probably about 1/4" in diameter, so it's really hard to make out the month on both the wheels. On my 8" rears, 80 is stamped on both, followed by a small rectangular box (about 1.5" long) segmented into 12 squares (probably to show month). So presumably, these were manufactured in September, 1980. So even though these markings are hidden from view, they do show there are small differences in manufacture years.

Bert-Ola

Reaction score
36 11 602 = Alpina part.no for 7x16" ET-11mm
36 11 603 = Alpina part.no for 8x16" ET-24mm

As from Alpina parts catalogue for E28

Last edited:

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
So here is what I have discovered from asking tons of questions from members of a couple of forums and doing alot of research online. The wheels in question are authentic Alpina. They all have Ronal stamped on the spoke inside the wheel along with the proper Alpina markings. The KBA part number I was so concerned with was added after 1980 so the earlier wheels do not have the KBA stamp. They do however have the part numbers which as mentioned by another member in this thread are:

36 11 602 = Alpina part.no for 7x16" ET-11mm
36 11 603 = Alpina part.no for 8x16" ET-24mm

Nicad- Your wheels are real Alpina. Nothing to worry about. :)

Last edited:

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did you buy these?

The OP hasn't indicated "sold" on any of the various listings he has out there although you did on your first post in the for sale section here. Can you verify that these are sold?

Cheers

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
The OP hasn't indicated "sold" on any of the various listings he has out there although you did on your first post in the for sale section here. Can you verify that these are sold?

Cheers

I put a significant deposit on them while we were trying to figure a few things out but today I decided to walk away from the deal. I just contacted the seller, once my deposit is returned they should be available for sale again. Seller is a very honest and great person. Hopefully someone else picks up these wheels from him today.