Ariel (AKA Arde) and Graciela are driving the last drive

Oh no! So sorry to read this. I met Ariel the first time at Concorso Italiano of all places, and he was there with his Lancia Fulvia Rally, yellow with a black hood. He was his hilarious self, as usual.
For a time we corresponded about life in Aptos, where he had retired, south of Santa Cruz. I had contemplated a change in life and moving from the east to the California Coast. He had some great advice, although we ended up not moving.
I will miss his wit around here. And such a rich and interesting life he led. One of so many immigrants who made good here in the US and contributed so much.
 
Oh my.. Ariel and I were good friends when I lived down in Silicon Valley. He was smart and gracious. A couple of years ago he shared a number of photos of his cars, and the family getaway in Aptos. Invited us down to stay there any time we wanted. He once brough his Verona coupe to my house and we had a big BBQ as "Ice House Dave" (a guy we all knew from Roadfly) and his wife Ginny worked thier magic on his paint finish.

So very sad.
 
so do we know what happened?
I did some research. Apparently they were driving northbound on US 101 near Arroyo Grande (a bit south of San Luis Obispo). The car left the road, crashed down an embankment, and caught fire. They both died at the scene. Ariel has several grown children, and many family members in Uruguay. I remember him brewing coffee in one of those aluminum screw together espresso pots, and chatting about cars in his driveway over small cups of his strong coffee.. So sad.
 
For those who may not have known Ariel Hendel (Arde) personally, I went back to a PM conversation we had in 2023, and selected a few photos from the many he sent me as we caught up on events since I moved away from Silicon Valley in 2009... Most of these were at his beach house in Aptos. I think it's OK to share these to put a face and a family on the name...

We had many great conversations, and I'll miss having the opportunity to get together.

Screenshot 2025-10-24 at 5.26.42 PM.png
Screenshot 2025-10-24 at 5.27.20 PM.png
Screenshot 2025-10-24 at 5.28.31 PM.png
Screenshot 2025-10-24 at 5.28.45 PM.png
 
Last edited:
Only just hearing of this. Many a good conversation with Ariel and his humour on posts would never fail to bring a smile to my face. A great man who will be missed by many, as I am sure Graciela will be as well.

My condolences to the family and to those close to them, he will be truly missed on this forum.
 
Los aniversarios no tienen merito propio, suceden, solo, porque las hojas del calendario caen fulminadas por la presencia del tiempo. El tiempo es ese enemigo poderoso y despreocupado que mantiene sus ojos entornados mientras escucha al fondo la cadencia infinita de segundos precipitarse al abismo insondable del que nunca regresarán.

Así, de forma tan mágica como cierta y predestinada llego el aniversario de la partida de Graciela y Ariel. Por un misterio que no comprendo pero su hija Yael nos explica, (15 Tishrei 5787, on 2026 sept. 27th, is the holiday of Sukkot ) es este aniversario, algo anticipado para el calendario gregoriano, pero no para la raíz hebrea de la cábala del tiempo.

Graciela y Ariel han logrado el milagro de mantener su presencia y permanecer con nosotros, conservaremos su recuerdo, tambien hoy, y mañana tambien,…

Remembering Graciela and our brother-in-coupe Ariel.


IMG_0389.jpeg




.
 
I hope you don't mind @deQuincey, but I had Google translate your beautiful words into English so more of us could appreciate them. Thanks!

"Anniversaries have no inherent merit; they simply happen because the calendar pages fall, struck down by the passage of time. Time is that powerful and indifferent enemy, its eyes half-closed as it listens in the background to the endless cadence of seconds plunging into the unfathomable abyss from which they will never return.

Thus, as magically as it is certain and predestined, the anniversary of Graciela and Ariel's passing arrived. For a mystery I don't understand, but which their daughter Yael explains to us (15 Tishrei 5787, on September 27th, 2026, is the holiday of Sukkot), this anniversary falls somewhat early according to the Gregorian calendar, but not according to the Hebrew root of the Kabbalah of time.

Graciela and Ariel have achieved the miracle of maintaining their presence and remaining with us. We will cherish their memory, today as well, and tomorrow as well…"
 
Back
Top