Art Car replica

Dohn

Reaction score
Interesting. A wrap change makes a Batmobile tribute into a Calder car tribute. This must be the Calder chameleon Boy George sang about...

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting. So if I were to buy a roller, add a bunch of body work, an S38 or M88 with gearbox, coilovers, big deep dish wheel, rollover cage, race seats and the rest of the bits and pieces, is that a 275k car? Will be interesting to see if this sells for that price.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting. So if I were to buy a roller, add a bunch of body work, an S38 or M88 with gearbox, coilovers, big deep dish wheel, rollover cage, race seats and the rest of the bits and pieces, is that a 275k car? Will be interesting to see if this sells for that price.

I understand the sentiment, but I think that your observation lacks a little context. Firstly one can presume that this is AUD so the total is closer to $214K. Now, the owner probably started with an australian E9. You aren't going to find an $8K roller in Australia. Have you ever seen anything under $30K? The art car livery is painted on. That is a five color paint job with organic lines that must match an original historic race car painted by a famous artist. I'm sure it wasn't cheap. An S38 core and G280 isn't cheap - if you can find one in Australia. An S38 rebuild costs around $10K in the US. This motor is running dry sump, pushing 420HP and was built by "Ludwig Finaur". I wish I knew who that was, but when you list an engine builder in an ad, chances are the builder has a solid reputation - which equals $$$.

Random Quote:
This time preparation was extremely thorough. The cars were fully stripped and re-built. Legendary Citroën engineer Marcel Finger and BMW Motorsport “Engine Meister” Ludwig Finaur were in charge of engines & transmissions. Former NZ Champion Glenn Clarke and Peter developed chassis and suspension components like, modified spheres, carbon metallic brake pads, special exhausts, modified wheels and fast change nuts, special fuelling and pit equipment, etc.

Now add in all the shipping to get Motorsport bodywork from the UK, engine parts from who knows where, custom BBS wheels, and roll cage fabrication. On top of all that, the Peterson Redman livery vinyl probably cost around $6K to do.

So yeah, you could probably do all that and sell the car for $214K

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a CS doner car, not a CSL doner, so 75-80% of the price seems to be for racing specs and build.
Personally I think it looks better in the Calder Art Car livery.

Last edited:

bdigel

Reaction score
I understand the sentiment, but I think that your observation lacks a little context. Firstly one can presume that this is AUD so the total is closer to $214K. Now, the owner probably started with an australian E9. You aren't going to find an $8K roller in Australia. Have you ever seen anything under $30K? The art car livery is painted on. That is a five color paint job with organic lines that must match an original historic race car painted by a famous artist. I'm sure it wasn't cheap. An S38 core and G280 isn't cheap - if you can find one in Australia. An S38 rebuild costs around $10K in the US. This motor is running dry sump, pushing 420HP and was built by "Ludwig Finaur". I wish I knew who that was, but when you list an engine builder in an ad, chances are the builder has a solid reputation - which equals $$$.

Random Quote:

Now add in all the shipping to get Motorsport bodywork from the UK, engine parts from who knows where, custom BBS wheels, and roll cage fabrication. On top of all that, the Peterson Redman livery vinyl probably cost around $6K to do.

A few other thing of note , ( Ive built several race cars ) 3 remote brake res., aluminum fuel cell , dry sump tank in rear which means drysump system = $$$ . I do wish they more pictures of the cage , the brakes, and esp the suspension .

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
When this car was advertised in its Calder livery some years back , I think the asking price was some OZ $360k ....I believe the build price was supposed to be over $400k . Someone on this Forum (Gazz ?) spoke glowingly of the outstanding paint job and was going to use the same painter for their car . The BMW dealer /owner has a very successful dealership so presumably had all the resources available ....as an aside, a business colleague of mine has been buying all his BMW's from this dealership ( in Queensland ) for the last 20 years ....and we're on the other side of the country ! In any event , would love to have it .

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the problem with most replica cars is that they aren't true to what they are replicating ... in this case, most dont resemble true race cars. they are full of the visual things and seldom contain the meaningful (expensive) race equipment. take for instance a CSL / batmobile replica or a factory CSL racecar replica ... very different animals.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score

Random Quote:

So for laughs.... How about this for context... that is me with the car in 2011 at Lakeside Raceway in Queensland Australia :) I thought I'd use the pic with me in it to show it is not just a web image. At the time I was part of the BMW Club Queensland Committee and came to find out a bit about this car but sadly never the source of the shell.

Motorline E9 with Me.jpg

Ludwig Finaur is an ex-BMW engine builder who relocated to Queensland to support Frank Gardner during the time that he was contesting touring car categories in the 80's and 90's with the legendary JPS BMW 6 Series' and E30 M3s. So yes he is well known in local circles there at the time.

For more context, Australia went through similar pricing with E9's. Two years prior to me taking that photo, I passed on a Verona 3.0cs that was for sale at AUD$6500 and opted to buy a 318ti to compliment my then E36 M3 and clearly regret that decision to the day! Further, I missed another E9 in 2014 selling for $7000 on a local source due to having moved to the US and could not sort logistics. I am certain those times of finding a sub-10k E9 may well be gone now, but in the day of building this E9, prices of the CS were not where they are now.

I understand all you say but will maintain that time has worked in their favor. That said, there was no expense spared on this car it is not out of line to command the premium because ultimately, if somebody wants a car like this, there are no other choices of this kind. It would be nice to build one for sure.

floridabmx

Reaction score
The insane part that's hard for me to grasp and a bit depressing but i know is true... Is that some people look at 275k asking price for a car like its us looking at a $25,000 asking price for an e9. For some people it isn't the price they think twice about, but if the car checks all the boxes.