Art of Racing in the Rain

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Saw the movie last night. Well done and a good story. In spite of it's title I never saw the coupe in the rain. I guess they were afraid it would melt. LOL.

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Garth Stein, the author, took an SCCA race licensing school at Pacific Raceways in Kent WA several years before writing the book and one of the handouts used during classroom sessions was titled "The Art of Racing in the Rain". I worked at the school when the book came out and Don Kitch, who is played by Gary Cole, often joked about wondering when Garth was going to offer him a royalty for the title. As SFdon alluded, the book is based on the true story of a local club racer/instructor who lost his wife to cancer. Although he never went to work for Ferrari, he was a very good driver and a great friend to the local track community.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our Virginia/Maryland group will see it this afternoon...Doug Dolan, Chris Ohmes and yours truly. Some of the reviews are not so flattering but the book is so well done that the movie is a must see for me. The fact that the E9 is in the movie is not the reason to see this -- it's Enzo and his best friend.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My wife and I saw it a couple of days ago. Enzo the dog is absolutely the STAR of the movie. We both enjoyed it, and thought it was very well done. The 3.0 CSi is beautiful, and seen in quite a few sections.

You 'DC' area residents - enjoy the afternoon showing

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ok, it's a very good movie and I must admit I let some of the critic reviews set my expectation bar a little lower. The story follows the book pretty well for the most part, except for some scenes but Kevin Costner's voice as Enzo actually worked pretty well. The movie has good drama, racing scenes and nice Garth Stein proverbs through the story, especially: “There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose.” The last 10 - 15 minutes will melt your heart and restore anyone's faith that you can turn around nearly any negative situation in life. The E9 scenes and generally racing footage are also very good.

Take your spouses, your kids or, in my case, my very good E9 pals.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
"Enzo" was delightful, the story great, the E9 beautiful, the racing wonderful and the tears not as bad as I was lead to believe. Even my wife who was doubtful about going enjoyed it. A wonderful Saturday afternoon and for a change, an upbeat story.