Atlanta paint and body / Gary Beck

mare9e12

Reaction score
Gary - I am working on an old BMW and I would like to find someone who would be willing to spray basecoat / clear paint
on top of my bodywork. I am looking for leads. I live in 30024.

All suggestions greatly appreciated. Regards, Marty

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary - I am working on an old BMW and I would like to find someone who would be willing to spray basecoat / clear paint
on top of my bodywork. I am looking for leads. I live in 30024.

All suggestions greatly appreciated. Regards, Marty
Marty - if you want to ask Gary a question, why not try the message function? And why would you only want Gary's opinion on this? We have other Atlanta people here.

mare9e12

Reaction score
Marty - if you want to ask Gary a question, why not try the message function? And why would you only want Gary's opinion on this? We have other Atlanta people here.
Hello - I am a new member and don't know many people. I looked him up by first and last name but came up empty, so I shot up a flare.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Marty, I sympathise. I belong to several forums and each is different to do almost anything. I put Gary's forum "handle" in post #3 (m5bb). With the @ sign in front of it he should get an eMail informing him of this thread. You can also message him by going to the little envelope in the upper right hand corner and clicking on it.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got it. In general here you will do well to ask questions of the entire group. Many people might skip over your question because you have put Gary's name in the title of the thread. If you drop Gary's name from the title of this thread, you will reach other people in Atlanta as well as people who have had body work done in Atlanta.

dbower

Reaction score
Marty and I have had a brief offline discussion about paint/body and I suggested that he contact Gary. I should have provided Gary's contact info.

Don

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well hello everyone.
I didn't get a notice until Don emailed me. Thanks Don.
I'm not on here as much as I used to be. About one a week. Hadn't checked yet this week.
Steve A @Stevehose texted me a few weeks ago to see if I was still kicking.

Yes, just working on a 1972 Golf Yellow Tii.
Not going down the rabbit hole on this one.
Nice car that needed some tweaking. Very original.

Most asked question by car people in metro Atlanta. @mare9e12
Where to get paint and body work done.
Since I am the expert. :) @Ohmess
Wish I had a great answer.
Even though I spent a lot of money at a paint shop here 4 years ago I really don't feel good about recommending them.
@dbower didn't recommend anyone either and we have both used the same shop.
The paint job was actually pretty good but the team at the shop could be a problem.

Marty,
Always good to know another owner on an E9.
I just met a guy (Doug Krepps) that lives in Griffin GA that has a E9 and a number of other cars.
He came up and rode in my coupe and asked advice on restoring his.
Surprised Scott Perkins hasn't chimed in. Oh, he has a private paint shop. :)
How about Robert Patton? He had a car painted about a year ago. Have no idea who?

I am going to ask a shop I know that builds hot rods. Not a insurance shop.
To do some work on my Tii.
If that successful then I will gladly recommend him.

Marty, contact me through the message function here.
I will send you an email and phone number and we can talk further. I'm in Peachtree Corners. 30096
I also have some car events you might be interested in. Deutsche Klassic German Car Show.

Gary Beck

Attachments

• Golf.jpg
    Golf.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 69

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was lucky to have someone paint over all of the body work that was done by a novice: Me.

Unfortunately this is of no help to Marty, unless he does his own bodywork.

Learned a lot, sanded a lot, primed a lot, bondo a lot, sanded a lot, primed a lot. Welded and filled a lot of holes in the body (75). No door locks, antenna holes, badge holes, trim holes( 3M double stick tape holds the body trim on), hood washer holes, mirror holes, bumper holes, side marker lenses.

RP

7E768503-0144-47FA-B152-52B746E64DAC.jpeg

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well i can answer why i didn't pipe up on this question. its a 2 fold answer
1. my car isn't painted yet ... don't get me started on this one. his work is great, just hasn't happened on mine except the engine compartment ... and its gorgeous.
2. my painter won't paint over somebody else's work.

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
I live in Savannah and am also interested in learning about painters in the state! Glad to see this thread!

I have a bunch of cars, including a fully restored (not done in GA) 1973 2002 Tii and a 1980 320i with a M20B25 engine upgrade.

I currently have a 1978 280Z at a body/paint shop near Marietta getting full body repair, paint strip and color change - work is 60% done and expect delivery by May. Work seems great so far though judging from photos only, including a bumper swap with all the associated welding of old holes and new fitment required …. Haven’t seen the final product to be able to fully and accurately judge the shop yet - but it was highly recommended by a very knowledgeable car guy in the area.

I’ve included a few photos

I’ld be happy to report back hopefully with the next 45-60 days.

Attachments

• F4A559BE-E76E-4907-895F-4CF6FBCEBD03.jpeg
    F4A559BE-E76E-4907-895F-4CF6FBCEBD03.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 1A92F5B8-5815-45E7-B93D-8A0624269627.jpeg
    1A92F5B8-5815-45E7-B93D-8A0624269627.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 79D4754D-0C60-4877-854C-35AC9AD1AE29.jpeg
    79D4754D-0C60-4877-854C-35AC9AD1AE29.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 448FD9E5-6E3F-463D-A4F2-69FF94A458D3.jpeg
    448FD9E5-6E3F-463D-A4F2-69FF94A458D3.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 57
  • AC7F469E-74C6-4C3B-B69D-8CEEFA580C5F.jpeg
    AC7F469E-74C6-4C3B-B69D-8CEEFA580C5F.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 63

mare9e12

Reaction score
I was lucky to have someone paint over all of the body work that was done by a novice: Me.

Unfortunately this is of no help to Marty, unless he doe his own bodywork.

Learned a lot, sanded a lot, primed a lot, bondo a lot, sanded a lot, primed a lot. Welded and filled a lot of holes in the body (75). No door locks, antenna holes, badge holes, trim holes( 3M double stick tape holds the body trim on), hood washer holes, mirror holes, bumper holes, side marker lenses.

RP

View attachment 158514
hello - i was hoping to find someone to spray basecoat / clear on top on my bodywork and 3+ coats of 2k primer. i will start paint prep in another month or so. need car done by July-ish. if you are interested, we could chat and set expectations, timetable, and $$. thank you, marty

mare9e12

Reaction score
IMG_0241.jpeg

Long time, no post. I trolled Fakebook for a bodyman and I was contacted by someone is very talented. He did not want to paint over my bodywork, so I let him do it all. Basecoat / clear with a gloss that looks like single stage. Car looks really good. i am still chasing some trim but the car is driveable. i can provide contact info. he has a shop on the NE side of Atlanta. He is currently painting my friend’s Bavaria.

mare9e12

Reaction score
View attachment 171018
Long time, no post. I trolled Fakebook for a bodyman and I was contacted by someone is very talented. He did not want to paint over my bodywork, so I let him do it all. Basecoat / clear with a gloss that looks like single stage. Car looks really good. i am still chasing some trim but the car is driveable. i can provide contact info. he has a shop on the NE side of Atlanta. He is currently painting my friend’s Bavaria.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It looks beautiful :love: . The "sheen" is controlled by how much you cut and buff the paint. Both single stage and base/clear will look the same (either way) by how much orange peel you color sand out and how fine a compound you use on the final buff pass.