Auto to 5speed conversion - will this one work?

FjordTempo

Reaction score
I have a '73 3.0 cs automatic and want to do the getrag 265 5 speed conversion, but know very little about the process, other than all of the great posts on the forum. I have a few questions if anyone has time to answer:

1) I am considering buying this tranny as it appears to be the match:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

2) Will my existing driveshaft will be the correct length, or need to be modified?

3) Any advice on where to get the clutch and brake pedal? Are all 3 part of a manual assembly that I should seek from a donor car?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Matt
Costa Mesa, CA

x_atlas0

Reaction score
1. Yep, that looks like a 265 all right. It also has the mechanical speedo drive provision, so no problems there.
2. As I recall, the stock auto E9 driveshaft will have to be shortened slightly, or you can try to use a thinner guibo, but that also makes it much weaker. I would just get the driveshaft custom-cut like normal. It usually runs ~300$ including a rebuild. I know my manual driveshaft needed to be shortened by ~4".
3. Find someone parting out a manual E9. There's usually one or two on the board here, or you can scour ebay and try to get lucky.

jmackro

Reaction score
Matt:

If you are based in Costa Mesa, just cruise on over to Mesa Performance at 2490 Newport Blvd. Jim and Spence know what fits what and have a stockpile of vintage BMW parts.

FjordTempo

Reaction score
thank you

Great suggestions. Thanks folks. Keep em coming if anyone else has more info or knows of a local parts e9.

p.s. Am I doing the right thing here? Anyone think I should keep it as stock as possible? My e9 is in pretty great original condition with no rust, but it's far from being show condition. I enjoy driving it 3 times a week at least (as long as there's no moisture anywhere!), so I feel a 5 speed will improve my appreciation without hurting its value too much. I don't ever plan on selling it.

thanks again
Matt

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jay has given you good advice, use Mesa Performance. Join the BMW CCA and they give a 10% discount too. Auto D/S is actually a tad short but some make it work I believe.

FjordTempo

Reaction score
from VIN to build date?

Thanks Chris. Quick question: How can I find out my build date from the VIN. I noticed you've got your build date on the E9 registry. Beautiful car, by the way! Am I missing an important step in the history of my car? My VIN is 2250392.

Thank you.
Matt

jmackro

Reaction score
p.s. Am I doing the right thing here? Anyone think I should keep it as stock as possible? My e9 is in pretty great original condition with no rust, but it's far from being show condition. I enjoy driving it 3 times a week at least (as long as there's no moisture anywhere!), so I feel a 5 speed will improve my appreciation without hurting its value too much. I don't ever plan on selling it.

Matt:

e9 buyers aren't huge "originality freaks" - not like Porsche buyers. e9 buyers strongly prefer manuals over automatics, so I would guess that you are enhancing your car's value.

If you don't even plan on selling it, then who even cares? Let your heirs worry about resale value. And, if you enjoy driving it, a 5-speed will add to the enjoyment.

Once you get it on the road, bring it to Cars and Coffee in Irvine some Saturday morning. There are usually a bunch of coupes there.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Matt:

e9 buyers aren't huge "originality freaks" - not like Porsche buyers. e9 buyers strongly prefer manuals over automatics, so I would guess that you are enhancing your car's value.

If you don't even plan on selling it, then who even cares? Let your heirs worry about resale value. And, if you enjoy driving it, a 5-speed will add to the enjoyment.

Once you get it on the road, bring it to Cars and Coffee in Irvine some Saturday morning. There are usually a bunch of coupes there.

I completely agree.

I restored a '71 280SL before the coupe and I got feedback that the nardi I installed was considered close to taboo. It was refleshing to restore my coupe exactly the way I wanted it including upgrading to a 5 speed(with uuc short shift kit).

FjordTempo

Reaction score
Thank you guys for reassuring me. You confirmed what I suspected. I'll keep my auto trans and driveshaft in case one day I want to restore it to original specs (or lose a leg!). For now, I'm bored driving this beautiful car with one foot. See you soon at Cars and Coffee.

Matt

Matt,

Just send an e-mail here:

[email protected]

I will bet it was built on or about 11/16/72. Lots of e9 owners in Costa Mesa/Huntington Beach area.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I think mine was purchased new in San Diego? Lots of service records from Crevier in Santa Ana from the 70s. I emailed Andreas and am excited to hear his response. Thanks again!

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
you'll find the trans swap to give lots of smiles per dollar...
and noticeable free horsepower too,
the torque converters in those ATs are pigs!