Autocrossing E3

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Late 1980s. Crows Landing, CA. SCCA Solo II Regionals. Me far right (Dick, are those your legs or are you riding a chicken? ;)). My son far left. Our D/Street Prepared Sirocco. Magnetic numbers. I ran as #47 (my birth year), he ran as #74 (his birth year). We were competitive, but the X19s ruled the day. The Yokohama truck was there and we were running newly shaved A008s.

1622476_10151923325027352_246213074_o.jpg

BMW content...the $10 swap meet E30 wheels were legal and gave us another inch of width.

chope97

Reaction score
I don't see the auction on BAT. I knew the owner he is from the Washington D.C area. I even purchased some parts from him for my first E3 back in the 80's

CSBM5

Reaction score

Yep, that was my car and my autox video. There is a 2nd autox video on my youtube channel where my friend Max in the E12 shed some steam via tire smoke after hitting one too many cones on the other course. I have a lot of pictures from the old days when my father owned the car and a zillion from when I owned it including 8mm video tape from track side at Summit Point in the 80s.

Here's the video link below. I recall that 180 turn being diabolical since it was off camber and then toward the end of it (on that right side course) it reached peak off camber and just sucked in anyone over-driving the entry. You can see how far off the inside cone I was and how painful it is to carry just a tad too much entry speed. Having the standard equal ramp BMW LSD isn't helpful in such low speed turns either since it exacerbates low speed understeer.

Last edited:

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep, that was my car and my autox video. There is a 2nd autox video on my youtube channel where my friend Max in the E12 shed some steam via tire smoke after hitting one too many cones on the other course. I have a lot of pictures from the old days when my father owned the car and a zillion from when I owned it including 8mm video tape from track side at Summit Point in the 80s.

Here's the video link below. I recall that 180 turn being diabolical since it was off camber and then toward the end of it (on that right side course) it reached peak off camber and just sucked in anyone over-driving the entry. You can see how far off the inside cone I was and how painful it is to carry just a tad too much entry speed. Having the standard equal ramp BMW LSD isn't helpful in such low speed turns either since it exacerbates low speed understeer.

All the videos on your channel are awesome!!!

CSBM5

Reaction score
All the videos on your channel are awesome!!!

Thanks. There are some pretty old ones on there from days before HD and GoPro, etc, and they sure do show it when I view them now. Time to capture some more events and upload them at some point although the only driving event I have planned to go to is ultra-low speed - the BMW world record attempt gathering/driving line coming up nearby here in Greenville in a little over a week.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. There are some pretty old ones on there from days before HD and GoPro, etc, and they sure do show it when I view them now. Time to capture some more events and upload them at some point although the only driving event I have planned to go to is ultra-low speed - the BMW world record attempt gathering/driving line coming up nearby here in Greenville in a little over a week.
I hope there’s a new record!

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
How did the gathering event go???

CSBM5

Reaction score
How did the gathering event go???

To achieve the world record parade Guinness (?) requires less than 2 car lengths between any cars throughout the parade line while it is in motion. Everyone was told to keep it at 1 to 1.5 at most. The line was just creeping along but apparently there were multiple violations at various points that Guinness observers recorded, so no "official" BMW parade record...just over 300 BMWs of all types with a huge contingent of Z3/Z4/Z8s since Zfest was here last week and ended the day of the parade. :)

Here's a video someone made: