Back in a CS!!!

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello all-
Steve-o here. (aka: 3nSahalee)

Friday, 11 April 2014 will forever be marked as the greatest birthday weekend of my life!!!
That's right.
Bought myself the best b-day gift EVER.
With my kid off to college, a little more free time, and some extra cash in the slush fund I bought what will probably be 'The Keeper'.
I have been scouring the northwest USA for the past year. I've driven from Bellingham to Portland and from La Push to Pocatello in search of another e9. I've posted and reposted wanted ads. I'd dredged up old contacts and made new friends along the journey.

Just picked up my 3rd coupe. Regretfully I Had to sell my others nearly 20 years years ago with a both a kid on the way, and moving to neighborhood that has those crazy restrictions about cars.

Previous e9's of mine were a banged-up and neglected DD '71 2800cs that I absolutely loved every minute of ownership, and a rusted beyond rusted out '73 csi parts car.
We'll, for the past 20 years I've longed to be in a coupe again.

So. I received a call this past week...
"I understand you're looking for a BMW cs?"
I thought that this was just another one of those calls I'd received numerous times over the last 2 years....
Either it was a rusted hulk of a parts car that someone thought was worth $15k, or it was the garage king that they wanted $60k for. Neither of which I was after.
It was a call from the nephew of a guy with a coupe that had been sitting in his uncle's shop/garage for 'a few years now' and he was thinking about selling it.
No pics. No info. Just a # to try to reach the uncle. I made contact immediately, chatted a bit and started to get 'that feeling'. THIS IS THE ONE!!!!
I already had Friday scheduled off work, the owner is retired and said he'd be available most of the first half of the day.
Slept maybe a total of 4 hours Tuesday night, 2 hours Wednesday night, and maybe 45 mins Thursday night. I was a 9 year old on Christmas Eve, absolutely giddy with excitement.
Hit the road @ 7am for a 2-1/2 drive to the e9 abyss in the never-ending chase for a cs to call mine. I still had not seen any pics. The owner tried to send some from his cellphone, but was unable.
Daydreams and thoughts ran the entire spectrum on the drive down: 'It's a rust bucket and I'm wasting a day'... 'It's white and the owner had 'some kooky trunk spoiler thing on it' that he removed and is here somewhere'..... 'As a practical joke, some douce is sending me on a 200 mile trip to Mt. Saint Helens' ... And my wife saying 'don't take that much cash with you, you're getting robbed!!!'

So- long story, short.... Bought the car. It's,s a '74, big bumpers (anyone have a spare set of chrome ones to sell?), 82,xxx miles, triple webers, headers, all smog stuff removed, plus it is totally straight. Originally Polaris neu. Then Malaga. Now white.. Decent paint for now, Solid and dry body. A few rust spots here n there, but solid in the right areas. Originally was Vegas area, then southwest Washington, now here in Seattle area.. Nevada heat baked the interior, all seats are xtra crispy, dash top trashed (anyone have one to sell?) wood needs refinish, headliner and side panels are fine.. Has not been ran in 6+ years. I had signed up for AAA premium the night before and had the sexiest car on the road that day for an exactly 200 mile flatbed tow.
The fun/work begins on bringing her back to life! I will get some pics up soon...

Thanks in advance, for you friendship and insight!
Looking forward to the ride.
Best regards to all.
Steve

Attachments

• e9 & e36_small.jpg
    e9 & e36_small.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 185
  • e9 -001_small.jpg
    e9 -001_small.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome. It's great to hear of another coupe in the neighborhood. You have a very close neighbor just south in Sammamish (Bimbill). We occasionally have some local gatherings and will add you to the list (if interested). There may be a coupe or two at the XXX Rootbeer Drive-in in Issaquah June 1st.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great story. Congratulations on the birthday present!

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can walk to your house

In fact my wife and I do most mornings; our usual walk takes us through Sahalee. I'm the guy Sven mentioned, just finishing a two+ year restoration of a '73. Welcome to a growing and enthusiastic group of PNW coupers who will be glad to provide advice and assistance in bringing your new addition back to life.

I can be found most weekdays working on my car at West Werks in Redmond. Stop by and say hi.

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Bill-
Yes, I live in Sahalee.
Is yours the black one in Timberline area? and the so sweet white 2002 for sale currently?

Will let you know when I get her home... (the coupe currently is at nearby storage, will be bringing her home soon)... I gotta clean my garage out first!

We walk the neighbor too
My wife and our golden retriever, our neighbor friend and her black lab, and occasionally they drag me and some other chubby guys around

I know I've seen West Werks, is that behind Brown Bear? Is that your shop? I will pop in one day soon.

Feels great to be back in 'the e9 family' after so long away!!

Thanks! See ya soon...
Steve

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Welcome Steve
Great story and nice looking car.Just wondering what a non-running e9 is going for in today Market compared to what you sold your running 2800cs for 20 years ago? At 30.00 dollars a month for storage for 20 years=7200.00+sell of old car=?
PS is your car a manual?
Thanks Tim

bobabob

Reaction score
Steve,

GREAT story--me thinks there is treasure trove of stories out there, very similar to yours, that are held by us multi, more than one, CS owners. You left off the sweaty palms part, but the sleepless nights, the doubts, the absolute thrill of reliving a very fond memory, were spot on! And of course Chamonix, what could possibly be better...save the bumpers for later-I've found them to be at least conversation starters at cars and coffee's, BMW meetings, gas stations, etc. Congratulations.

Bob