Ballast Resistor Reading -

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Folks-

Just installed a new distributor a few days ago -
Nice having a vacuum advance now that actually now works!

In the installation - I discovered that my ballast resistor has a problem.
The ceramic housing is broken - right in half under the bracket.
I didn't know until I had to disconnect the wire to the distributor and .... it wiggled around a bit... oopps....
The ballast works electrically but - I don't know how long I would trust it now that I know it's busted...

What is the resistance value that I should get? The coil has a .9 ohm reading across the two terminals. The existing ballast has a 1.2 ohm reading. Is that too low?
I ask as a (non ballast needing) Pertronix coil (that I have in my 2002) has a 3.0 ohm value. The 1.5 ohm coil they offer states not to be used w/o a ballast inferring that I would need to get the (overall) resistance up to the 3.0 ohm range...

FYI
I have an MSD coil installed that requires a ballast... and run a Pertronix Ignitor in place of points.

There a bunch of different value Bosch ballasts that I can find....

But not a 1.2 that I could find anyway...
I have the BMW and Bosch part numbers for their ballasts but they don't show the corresponding resistance.

So -
Question -
For those using ballasts - Can you do me a favor - What are the resistance values across your coil and also the ballast...???

Funny thing is I measured mine with the wires all connected and compared to the values with the wired disconnected (isolated the coil and ballast). Didn't make a difference to the values my DMM took.

So - If you could do that - I'd appreciate it -

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anyone have a chance to take any readings? I'd appreciate knowing what folks have in their cars.

Thanks -