BAT: 1972 BMW 3.0 CSL

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I always enjoy learning more about the details of the CSLs as the comments roll in about what’s “correct” and what’s not.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ok, shall we restart the montana registration discussion along with registering it in CA?

The Uber rare Csl with mechanical fuel injection …..
saw that ... i would put that on the door of BaT's lack of knowledge. i see the aluminum skinned doors, very curious if the entire door is aluminum along with the hinges. wasn't that the case in the lightweight versions? its pretty, but i don't trust Odenzaal to get concours correct on a CSL

JBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
With the influx of oldenzall/samboss cars lately, has anyone else paid attention to the Oldenzall invoices???
Is it just me or do these invoices seem to be massively inflated?? 230k euros for CSL resto, 170k euros for the Golf resto?? Ive never restored an E9 myself, however I’ve talked a lot with Wolf who has been restoring E9s for over a decade, and the figures he told me relating to E9 restorations doesn’t necessarily match up with the figures in those invoices.

Im interested to hear what you guys think.
Feels like oldenzall is just hiking up service records, dumping all their cars to the US and planning to cash out….

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
With the influx of oldenzall/samboss cars lately, has anyone else paid attention to the Oldenzall invoices???
Is it just me or do these invoices seem to be massively inflated?? 230k euros for CSL resto, 170k euros for the Golf resto?? Ive never restored an E9 myself, however I’ve talked a lot with Wolf who has been restoring E9s for over a decade, and the figures he told me relating to E9 restorations doesn’t necessarily match up with the figures in those invoices.

Im interested to hear what you guys think.
Feels like oldenzall is just hiking up service records, dumping all their cars to the US and planning to cash out….

I'd say depends on condition of the car and skill of the restorer.
Based on my experience, you could turn out a very nice CSL for 100k AUD (not counting the purchase price) if you do a lot of grunt work yourself - that's where it hurts you as you are paying by the hour.

If you are prepared to spend days cleaning off underbody shutz, cleaning body panels and scouring the internet for parts you can save thousands. For me it was all part of the 'passion' for the project and I actually enjoy project management.

My car isn't concourse as I left the original interior and alloy trim etc. But everything that was replaced was to a concourse standard if you get my meaning.

If you just want to say 'you' restored a CSL and have somebody else do everything for you, then you will need very deep pockets.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
ok, shall we restart the montana registration discussion along with registering it in CA?

saw that ... i would put that on the door of BaT's lack of knowledge. i see the aluminum skinned doors, very curious if the entire door is aluminum along with the hinges. wasn't that the case in the lightweight versions? its pretty, but i don't trust Odenzaal to get concours correct on a CSL
Oldenzaal seems to be able to find many thought to be NLA parts for their cars. But they couldn't find the correct 1972 5 black slats center grill. The newer 4 black slats grill just doesn't fit the older bulkhead opening.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think Oldenzaal is perhaps padding the books a bit. first, and most important - they aren't paying the VAT if the car is built for / sent to the USA. but that 39.4k euro makes the car seem like a bargain if you buy it for less than 190k ... but they aren't paying that tax. $60k for suspension, brake, interior + other mechanical ... then another 30k for install. seems a little rich after 20k on the engine, tranny and diff. then there is the 70k for disassembly, stripping, bodywork, paint and chrome work.

that being said, restoration work isn't for the faint of heart and its labor intensive and not inexpensive. if i was buying this car, or a car from Oldenzaal, i would really pour over the details and make sure they are right. Oldenzaal is getting better, but a lot of their work isn't true concours correct. i struggle with the all black subframes and other suspension parts - a fair amount of that should be the green/gray color - okay, i think black looks better with Taiga - i've got the same issue with Ceylon ... but i'm not building a CSL. @Drew Gregg, you bring up a great point about their NLA parts. the exhaust is the Fritz Bits / W+N stainless exhaust, not the factory original mild steel exhaust. if you are spending all of that money, why not put on XWX tires or pirelli cn-36. then you get to the bolts / nuts on the hood + trunk hinges - left yellow zinc instead of painting body color like original. don't get me wrong, this is a nice looking CSL with a lot going for it ...

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Drew Gregg, you bring up a great point about their NLA parts. the exhaust is the Fritz Bits / W+N stainless exhaust, not the factory original mild steel exhaust. if you are spending all of that money, why not put on XWX tires or pirelli cn-36. then you get to the bolts / nuts on the hood + trunk hinges - left yellow zinc instead of painting body color like original. don't get me wrong, this is a nice looking CSL with a lot going for it ...
agree on the point of the parts: It's still missing some of those unique CSL parts, and instead they go for off the shelf copies. No 5 hole Alpina's here. Though they do come up for sale now and then for around 3 to 4K per set.
On a CSL above 175K i'd expect the correct wheels.
1710414382708.png

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
agree on the point of the parts: It's still missing some of those unique CSL parts, and instead they go for off the shelf copies. No 5 hole Alpina's here. Though they do come up for sale now and then for around 3 to 4K per set.
On a CSL above 175K i'd expect the correct wheels.
View attachment 178976
I've got a set of restored for sale! ;-)

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score
i think Oldenzaal is perhaps padding the books a bit. first, and most important - they aren't paying the VAT if the car is built for / sent to the USA. but that 39.4k euro makes the car seem like a bargain if you buy it for less than 190k ... but they aren't paying that tax. $60k for suspension, brake, interior + other mechanical ... then another 30k for install. seems a little rich after 20k on the engine, tranny and diff. then there is the 70k for disassembly, stripping, bodywork, paint and chrome work.

that being said, restoration work isn't for the faint of heart and its labor intensive and not inexpensive. if i was buying this car, or a car from Oldenzaal, i would really pour over the details and make sure they are right. Oldenzaal is getting better, but a lot of their work isn't true concours correct. i struggle with the all black subframes and other suspension parts - a fair amount of that should be the green/gray color - okay, i think black looks better with Taiga - i've got the same issue with Ceylon ... but i'm not building a CSL. @Drew Gregg, you bring up a great point about their NLA parts. the exhaust is the Fritz Bits / W+N stainless exhaust, not the factory original mild steel exhaust. if you are spending all of that money, why not put on XWX tires or pirelli cn-36. then you get to the bolts / nuts on the hood + trunk hinges - left yellow zinc instead of painting body color like original. don't get me wrong, this is a nice looking CSL with a lot going for it ...
I'm guilty of painting the parts black too, only yesterday we sprayed a batch of items for a CSL and I choose black over the strange green/grey as i personally think it looks nicer and has become the normal now. We prepped some servo brackets and it seems wrong to remove the greenish grey and go black but it looks an odd colour in an engine bay against black and zinc parts, especially alongside the two blue servos. We have matched the colour as closely as possibly but it was a wierd choice of colour someone opted for in the early 70's.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wrong day, I guess. It's a pretty nice city pack CSL. That last nice silver CSi that sold for 180k recently tells me that this is worth more.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my guess is the 'samboss' factor. it seems like a lack of trust factor based on the CA registration issue and the string of cars from Oldenzaal that he has put up for sale over the last couple of years (more than just e9 coupes). i could be wrong, but there were 2 CSi that sold between 160k and 180k and his golf CSi stopped at 138k RNM. compare that to the silver CSi that wasn't that great that sold for 115k.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$1.5 mill in sales without a dealers license? No sales tax collected? In California?

Registered in Montana?

Everyone on the forums knows there is a CHP field inquiry active.

Smart knowledgeable people aren’t bidding.

Pity the buyers who under reported their sales price to their state when they registered their purchase- the real purchase price is reported on BAT.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
$1.5 mill in sales without a dealers license? No sales tax collected? In California?

Registered in Montana?

Everyone on the forums knows there is a CHP field inquiry active.

Smart knowledgeable people aren’t bidding.

Pity the buyers who under reported their sales price to their state when they registered their purchase- the real purchase price is reported on BAT.
I did not know that, but boy that is not smart on the seller's part. The evidence is all there on the internet.