Bat #2

RonP

Reaction score
Here are some photos of CSL Batmobile #2275483. I bought the car last December and didn't know it was a Bat until we sent for a Zertificat from BMW and realized what we had wasn't just a pedestrian CSL, but was numerically in the sequence to be one. So, once I realized that, I still didn't believe it was, so I reached out to everyone I knew and they all came back with the same answer.

In February, I sold the car to Bobby Rahal and we are doing a turn key restoration for him. Just got the car back from the paint shop yesterday. I have a lot of work to do in order to get the car ready for Monterey but I will try to keep posting pics as the work progresses.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v.../CSL2257483/?action=view&current=IMG_1270.jpg

wsk

Reaction score
Looks great!

You gonna show us Bat #3?

:wink:

RonP

Reaction score
Trying to get caught up here after the whirlwind of getting this car from empty shell to running/driving car in 45 days. My goal was to get the car to Monterey by the 17th of August for the Legends of the Autobahn. Well, we made it and the car won 1st place in the Coupe Class! Bobby was very happy about that. Once that was over, I brought the car back and started to shake it down...still not completely done, but Bobby was able to drive the car last weekend, and he is very happy with it. I have also done a photo shoot for an upcoming issue of Bimmer Magazine, and it may even make the cover! Well, not the entire cover. More like a small window on the cover. Here are some before, during, and after shots.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v454/ronperry/CSL2257483/

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow! Great job bringing it back from the edge of destruction. Very few coupes get taken so far apart. I didn't realize the extent of the work done when checking the car out at Legends.

RonP

Reaction score
Wow! Great job bringing it back from the edge of destruction. Very few coupes get taken so far apart. I didn't realize the extent of the work done when checking the car out at Legends.

Thank you, Sven! It was a lot of work. The most amazing thing is we started the project in March. I got the car back from paint on July 5th and made it to Monterey!

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rahal

Any idea where Bobby is going to house it? Here in Chicago, he's got quite a unit out at Autobahn Country Club. Would be nice to know if it's local to us...

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see restorations like this and I realize how far I have to go, and the likelihood Ill really never get there.

Fantastic car.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if that was painted in California, and if so was the newer water based paint used ?

Probably a really stupid question (but not my first, or last), but how do you color sand a water based paint before you put on the clear coat without going right through the paint ?

RonP

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if that was painted in California, and if so was the newer water based paint used ?

Probably a really stupid question (but not my first, or last), but how do you color sand a water based paint before you put on the clear coat without going right through the paint ?

Yes, it was painted in California. The only thing that is water based is the base coat or flat coat. The clear is still chemical base, so it will still have the same properties as it did before as nothing has changed in that department. So it is still just as easy to color sand it.