BAT: Euro 1971 BMW 3.0CSi 5-Speed

John-T

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks like a > $100000 car. I would say considerably more but it's a down market.
Also the car is in Netherlands. Most US buyers don't want to deal with importing a car.
If this car was already in US I'm sure it would fetch more.

Well sorted and a beautiful example nonetheless.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ivo's E9 which sold last August for $150K was a 4-speed and didn't have A/C. This car is far more expensive to restore with the A/C, 5-speed, and headlight washers,along with all of the other work. Two years ago, this would have sold for close to $200K. A restoration at this shop today would be more than $200K. Let's see where the market is in 3 days.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
Import and registration assistance is included as part of final hammer price.
Very well sorted e9. Likely a $150k sale.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hammered at $180k. Decent value out of a very nice car. I presume it is NOT going to California...

Edit -
Nevermind - LOL

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I guess there’s a new phrase added to the vintage euro gray market car ownership lexicon. If you can’t legally register your car under CA laws, no problem, just ”Montana it”. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well known 'secret' in the Prewar & Post War Collector Car community, register to an LLC Vermont or Montana to avoid sales tax, New England property taxes & registration issues.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well known 'secret' in the Prewar & Post War Collector Car community, register to an LLC Vermont or Montana to avoid sales tax, New England property taxes & registration issues.
It’s no secret that you can drive your Csi around So Cal with a MT license plates until CHP notices. It’s just not a good option.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have fun at Cars and Coffee- dmv enforcement officers appear on a regular basis now to issue summonses to appear before a judge. On a $100,000.00 car that is a $10750.00 ”ticket” for sales tax alone.
My clients have been getting the letter from their local police department to appear and explain.
And I sure hope the owner of that Montana plated car has no angry ex-wife, neighbor or employee. Oh whoops.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is a lot that I miss about living in California...friends, weather (not this weekend), topography, and more. I do not miss the heavy vehicle registration fees. The cost of registering a classic here in PA is about $40 and it is a permanent registration for as long as I own the car (used year of manufacture plates). Yes, we have annual inspection (which is overkill for a classic, and there are exceptions for low use), but overall much less restrictive.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I play by the rules over & up here in the Perpetual Winterlands of Maine. 9 cars, 8 BMWs, only 1 Antique & 1 Horseless Carriage. All the others are regular Vanity Plate regulations.

Only Athena has an Antique Plate which has a few restrictions & have to sign an affidavit ensuring it is not used as a daily driver as these ‘antique cars’ are exempt from annual safety inspections. Use is meant to be limited for parades & car shows.

Our 1914 KisselKar is registered as Maine Horseless Carriage number 17. Which has the same restrictions as the Antique plates. It has been on loan to the Wisconsin Automobile Museum since June 2016. I continue to insure & register it annually. This past June, after sitting for 7 years. Bought 2 new 6v batteries & put a gallon of fuel in the tank, checked the oil & radiator, primed the fuel pump, pulled the choke, pressed the starter pedal & roared to life with ease. Drove 70 miles at the last meet.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have fun at Cars and Coffee- dmv enforcement officers appear on a regular basis now to issue summonses to appear before a judge. On a $100,000.00 car that is a $10750.00 ”ticket” for sales tax alone.
My clients have been getting the letter from their local police department to appear and explain.
And I sure hope the owner of that Montana plated car has no angry ex-wife, neighbor or employee. Oh whoops.
If they let you drive after paying sales tax it is a good outcome.
You would have paid it anyways in CA.
The concern is that they fine you every time you drive...