BAT: Euro 1971 BMW 3.0CSi 5-Speed

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They want to see your insurance documents. That lets the DMV determine how long you have owned the car and therefore how many years of back registration and penalties and interest you owe.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
Happy to see such a great BaT result for this pristine e9.

The registration discussion is timely as I literally just paid my registration fees for 2024...after having just paid registration and sales tax when transferring title. Ouch!

I have heard of people under-reporting the sales value for cars new to CA or with very old prior transaction history when completing title docs to minimize sales tax. CA has a bit of a honor system on filling out the sales value on the title doc (pink slip) between private parties.

I've not seen or heard of police citing vehicles with out of state plates at C&C events, but I guess it makes sense if they see the same car time and again. In general, CA is making it much more difficult to claim out of state residency. Too much tax revenue flight to other states due to absurdly excessive tax policies...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
They want to see your insurance documents. That lets the DMV determine how long you have owned the car and therefore how many years of back registration and penalties and interest you owe.
Don - What if your insurance shows the car was off the road undergoing restoration? Is there any relief for a car that is basically not driven for a long period of time?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gainfully employed or resident….

Guilty until you prove otherwise…

California here I come!!

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Happy to see such a great BaT result for this pristine e9.

The registration discussion is timely as I literally just paid my registration fees for 2024...after having just paid registration and sales tax when transferring title. Ouch!

I have heard of people under-reporting the sales value for cars new to CA or with very old prior transaction history when completing title docs to minimize sales tax. CA has a bit of a honor system on filling out the sales value on the title doc (pink slip) between private parties.

I've not seen or heard of police citing vehicles with out of state plates at C&C events, but I guess it makes sense if they see the same car time and again. In general, CA is making it much more difficult to claim out of state residency. Too much tax revenue flight to other states due to absurdly excessive tax policies...

California registration ( private party ) is determined by what is written (declaration) on the title at time of transfer.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If a California vehicle is out of registration for six or more years (with no violations or DMV query's) the vehicle falls off the books.