BaT mafia tactics?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score

So I commented that the car sold for 56k in March at Gooding. And then the sellers flagged it as non-constructive and deleted it.
The internet is all about transparency and the free flow of information. I don’t think the flipper is FJ itself, but some car professionals who bought several cars at the Leo Schligiel sale at Gooding in order to flip. And there’s nothing wrong with flipping a car. However, there is something wrong with suppressing the free exchange of information on the car. I am extremely disappointed in this behavior. I have bought and sold several cars on BaT over the years. But this is crap.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Added to the comments ….

Factual historical data is and always will be constructive.
Over-managing an auction and deleting pertinent information is a negative. A prime example of snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory. The success of an auction is heavily dependent on the perceived integrity of the seller. Oh whoops….

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Added to the comments ….

Factual historical data is and always will be constructive.
Over-managing an auction and deleting pertinent information is a negative. A prime example of snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory. The success of an auction is heavily dependent on the perceived integrity of the seller. Oh whoops….
Thanks Don. My buddy Mike Baum (he and I both own juniors Zs) mentioned the gooding sale price of $50,000 for the junior Z that the flippers are also listing at this present time. And they did not delete his comment. These cars are being listed by fantasy Junction, but they are owned by other dealers who are trying to flip them for a profit. There’s nothing wrong with that, but they need to not suppress information that is relevant.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Seller lists the car on the most popular classic car auction site on the planet and hopes no one would notice that it sold at Amelia last month? Savvy is not the word I would use. I suspect the Amelia sale estimate was a bit optimistic? This allowed the $56K hammer price seem like a steal. Too bad, it’s a beautiful car and will likely exceed the Amelia result.
I agree with @sfdon, highlighting this car’s history can only help.

Last edited:

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anyone can flag a comment. Are you sure it was the seller?

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anyone can flag a comment. Are you sure it was the seller?
Flagging the comment is one thing. After flagging, the comment then goes to BaT for review (and action if they want)....
People can't single handedly take down a comment.... BaT has to do it themselves.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1 flag does not remove a comment. In my auction experience with BAT the way to remove a comment is to contact your BAT agent and request removal for a valid reason. This is not Craigslist where 1 or a certain number of flags results in an automatic flagged off ad.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
But if the comment impacts the sale price which then impacts BAT profit, it is in their interest to suppress it............................even though it is not the right thing to do. Hopefully enough people caught it before it was removed. I believe in the Sy Sims philosophy ( where an educated consumer is our best customer!).

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There are many posts on BaT that mention previous auctions or sales information. Not sure what happened on this one....

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve bought two cars on BaT and sold six. And been a member for 13 years.
Very disappointing for them to cave to the pressure of a pushy dealer who is selling the car (it’s not FJ who owns this car, it’s another dealer).
I need ti check my blood pressure…but then life goes on….

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
But if the comment impacts the sale price which then impacts BAT profit, it is in their interest to suppress it............................even though it is not the right thing to do. Hopefully enough people caught it before it was removed. I believe in the Sy Sims philosophy ( where an educated consumer is our best customer!).

I honestly think that BaT is more concerned about their reputation of flipping cars. When you submit a listing, one question they ask is “how long have you owned it”. I find it intriguing that they ask this question, but still host these auctions. I personally don’t care that they do, but if they are concerned about reputation they could always reflect listings such as the one @craterface is following.

I have friends with wonderfully suitable auction candidates that were rejected by BaT with no meaningful reason articulated.

Here is BaT’s canned response. Names removed to protect the broken-hearted. :D

BD72CFEF-44BA-41FA-8CD0-6A50288042C5.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have friends with wonderfully suitable auction candidates that were rejected by BaT with no meaningful reason articulated.
They are not going to tell you your reserve is too high. BaT's #1 concern on a potential listing is "will it sell?". There is only a payday for BaT if the listed car sells.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve bought two cars on BaT and sold six. And been a member for 13 years.
Very disappointing for them to cave to the pressure of a pushy dealer who is selling the car (it’s not FJ who owns this car, it’s another dealer).
I need ti check my blood pressure…but then life goes on….
I would check if our own Markos has an alibi :). He may be operating cross-platforms...

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Both examples I am drawing from has no reserve.
The only other thing that comes to mind would be that it was in the "go go" months following Covid when BaT was backed up >2 months and had potential listings that would sell for more money.