BAT New M30-Powered 1972 BMW 3.0CS 5-Speed now live at BaT Auctions

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 2019 New Year's resolution is not to get on the forum to point out flaws of cars for sale. :) So I will not note what I see. But I do think the title of the listing is odd, as essentially all 3.0CS coupes (and CSi's, 2800 CS's, etc) are powered by an M30 engine from the factory, no? That's like saying "Look at that guy, he breathes air!" :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Okay, I have a question, which by nature of articulating it will reveal some items I "see" in these pics. But it is all just for my own edification. Really. :)
The car is listed as a 1972. The bumpers appear correct for a '72 (I think - specifically the brackets, over riders, and license plate lights). The seats appear to be '74+, which is fine - they may have been changed or re-covered. No big deal. But here's the question: The VIN is a higher number than my '73. Did the VIN numbers run sequentially? Or did they skip around? If sequential, could this actually be a '74 with a Euro bumper conversion? I am not suggesting that is the case - just trying to learn about the VIN details that BMW used.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This coupe was on eBay in 2011. Door panels are recovered as well. I remember seeing the hole cut in the driver side fender, pretty strange.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice lookin car with a lot of fotoes...still, I'd really like to see under the (supplemental?) weather strip/seals on top of the fenders...

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Magic! Probably a combination of the hood being almost vertical and the hinges being tight. Weird though.
"Almost vertical" = risk of " hood edge contact"

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So in 2016, it sold for $31k.

From what @ny30cs said in 2011:

"I offered $25k for the car and went to pick it up in PA. I took a train home. Color change, was blue, trunk had rust and the quality of the repaint was horrible. The wood needed to be done over and it was a MESS. I didn't even start it. It was a 20 footer. It needs a TON to make it right and don't know if it would ever be. That was a lot of money for that car. Was worth about $10 to $14 at best in that shape......The interior needed to be done over and I KNOW what that costs......The seller didn't even know it was a color change!!!! "

Doesn't sound like it's worth more than $31k in 2019.