BAT New M30-Powered 1972 BMW 3.0CS 5-Speed now live at BaT Auctions

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gransin, if you read my post above you will see a mention of Winston Churchill. Finland figures large in the runup to the war. You were and still are in a tight place in the ever-changing map of Europe. At least that's the way I read it.

Oneills, for sure. There's lots to be said about the war, the current situation and everything in between, but I'm not sure this is the place:)
Still trying to stay neutral in a polarized World.

mr bump

Reaction score
My 2019 New Year's resolution is not to get on the forum to point out flaws of cars for sale. :) So I will not note what I see. But I do think the title of the listing is odd, as essentially all 3.0CS coupes (and CSi's, 2800 CS's, etc) are powered by an M30 engine from the factory, no? That's like saying "Look at that guy, he breathes air!" :D
And this?? You point out you WONT point out what you see??.........then boom, you do what we English call "slag off" the car! Your not on your own, many more so called lovers of the e9 do exactly the same on here. While this forum is the (in my view) only place to find out about the e3 and 9, it doesn't come without it's members who constantly pick fault with what they claim to love. And I return to my only point to my posts, just let it be what it is. They may not have the correct 5 bar grill, or the right steering wheel, or wheels, gear knob or even god forbid the correct engine....but so what! It's an e9 and imo, that's all that matters.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
And this?? You point out you WONT point out what you see??.........then boom, you do what we English call "slag off" the car! Your not on your own, many more so called lovers of the e9 do exactly the same on here. While this forum is the (in my view) only place to find out about the e3 and 9, it doesn't come without it's members who constantly pick fault with what they claim to love. And I return to my only point to my posts, just let it be what it is. They may not have the correct 5 bar grill, or the right steering wheel, or wheels, gear knob or even god forbid the correct engine....but so what! It's an e9 and imo, that's all that matters.

I used to get upset too when the forum would pick apart someone's e9. We are our own worst enemies is some ways when it comes to value of these coupes. For example, many people talk about rust in these cars like it is a unique phenomenon to this particular car. I don't think our coupes were any less prone to rust than most manufacturers of that era; my car is sitting in a shop that has a 70's era muscle car and a 70's era VW Bus, and mine is by far the least rusty. So, when we paint a picture that a rusty coupe is terminal and too expensive/complicated to repair we devalue it in comparison to other classics which have the exact same issues. I do; however, think that those with a critical eye provide a valuable service for those that are in the market and need to understand what a properly sorted car costs and what an original looks like.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry, Steve, but I’m laughing at your expense in drawing stray fire, again. I’m totally baffled where it comes from. Is it your avatar? Lots of saltier folks on here.
Laugh away, Jay. I don't know what it is - I thought I simply set out some cogent observations to support my genuine question. Evidently you can't call a kettle black, lest you are pointing out some sort of flaw in the cast iron it is made of.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alright dude, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'll continue to make observations and ask questions, as that is what I feel a forum of this nature is all about. Frankly, that is what this forum excels at - it is a great group of knowledgeable folks that share a passion. If you take offense - my apologies in advance.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alright dude, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'll continue to make observations and ask questions, as that is what I feel a forum of this nature is all about. Frankly, that is what this forum excels at - it is a great group of knowledgeable folks that share a passion. If you take offense - my apologies in advance.
Readers may want to go back to screen two(2) and see my short addition to my post. Or read it here:

A QUESTION IS NOT A CRITICISM. The remark about Churchill and Finland belongs in a PM to Gransin.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
People don't like something, they can not read it. Pretty simple.

Life's too short to get worked up over such small stuff.

Yes, I for one am guilty of nit picking a car, but I also give it praise too when I see a nice car.

Must everything be so rosy to be talked about in a forum?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
l
I don't think our coupes were any less prone to rust than most manufacturers of that era; my car is sitting in a shop that has a 70's era muscle car and a 70's era VW Bus, and mine is by far the least rusty. So, when we paint a picture that a rusty coupe is terminal and too expensive/complicated to repair we devalue it in comparison to other classics which have the exact same issues.

13D294D1-7418-4DA9-98B8-99B8F8A0307F.jpeg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bmw had contracted Karmann to build the E9’s and Csl’s from start to finish. The picture above shows the main Karmann company/ factory in Osnabrück which is not where the E9’s were assembled.
Karmann’s factory in the town of Rheine, 46 odd kms from Osnabrück is where our cars took birth!
F2756526-8348-4EEF-AEF9-22664CDA4717.jpeg

mr bump

Reaction score
Plus, bringing in immigrants from places like turkey and various other countries on a monthly basis to build the e9s wasn’t in hindsight the best idea, but alas, I don’t mind my pride and joy was built by a Turkish farm hand, adds to the romance of the cars history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

floridabmx

Reaction score
You think BAT or someone for BAT is bumping the prices and how can you tell? That is so illegal it would shut them down.

Cause 95% of the auctions scroll up to a thousand or two below fair market value with 2 or 3 days left and then just sit and wait. Last bidder usually being someone with 0 bids or only bids on cars but never wins. It's only illegal if you can prove intent.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cause 95% of the auctions scroll up to a thousand or two below fair market value with 2 or 3 days left and then just sit and wait. Last bidder usually being someone with 0 bids or only bids on cars but never wins. It's only illegal if you can prove intent.
Chandelier bids by the auction houses R common and legal

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I seriously doubt it is BaT. Too easy to prove if challenged, and it would destroy their business.
Seller-affiliated bids are far more likely.

Auctions don’t have any script or pattern. Bidders have different strategies or just may be dumb (see Hanlon’s Razor). Many throw out high bids early on what they’d pay, to test the waters, or to scare folks off. Or they may change their mind. Some wait until lot is going. Some hold back after initial bid betting on a better deal if RNM. Go look at the crap I got in BaT auction on my car for jacking the bid. I couldn’t follow closely that week & wanted to flush out the real interest. If it took off, I could ignore it. It didn’t & I got stuck at work during the auction close & couldn’t bid. Bought it after RNM. Other than auction terms, I have no duty to bidders, seller, BaT, or others’ sensibilities.

I do think seller-affiliated accounts bid, incl 1 recent E9 auction. But it isn’t always wrong, bad, or illegal, depending on state law and agreement terms. If I were king, unless prominently disclosed, seller-affiliated bids after reserve is met would always be banned as fraud. And they might be under CA law or terms. But super hard to enforce, esp online.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chandelier bids by the auction houses R common and legal

Yep, watch the smaller high-end auctions. Room is dead cold and auctioneer is calling bids. But that’s not true everywhere. And not true of all auction’s terms. Often require disclosure or only below reserve. House usually can’t shill with competing bidders to spur a bidding war.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Will you give it a rest and stop shooting other people's pride and joys down!! If you were out shopping, and a bloke started pointing out your beer belly, big nose, massive ears and goofy teeth, and a face that only a mother could love AFTER feeding you with a catapult, how would that make you feel! Just let it be what it is and basicly just stop tearing things apart, it does not make you look a better person, makes you look quiet bitter.

All this from a guy who is intimately familiar with the sound of masturbating skeletons in a cracker tin :)

Could it be a British thing?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry Mr. Bump, that just really freaked me out on one of your earlier posts,

For what its worth, I have learned tons of stuff from people making negative but honest comments. I think it's just important to be nice about it, the car has no feelings (yikes) but the owners might. :)