BaT: No Reserve: 1974 BMW 3.0CS Auto trans (NMNA)

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great intro discussion. I was not in the market for another E9 but was mesmerized by the poor photos on this BaT auction. General consensus is there are no 'deals' on BaT. Generally. However this one had six strong (negative) elements that were all lining up: Sunday auction close, poor photography, some rust, automatic, poor paint and Federalized bumpers.

If you look closely, really closely, at the interior shots (corners of the wood, dash, door cards, brightwork on the seats, original leather stitching, headliner, etc). This Coupe is exceedingly original and has not been exposed to UV (dash wood coloring). What was not public information: I contacted the seller who purchased it at an estate sale live auction and learned the original owner was a woman and the mileage is real.

Yep, there is some rust, but life is about taking risks. I could have pushed $40,200 all on to 'black' in 'Vegas or bid once on BaT. There is a much longer adrenal rust as the transporter inches closer to California and we get to see what reality is. Just based on the interior I am "all in'' to fix the exterior. I have a hunch about the lower door sills, floor pans and inner fender wells. What many bidders overlooked on this auction is key -it is the original paint. Original paint hides no sins. Photos at arrival should be very interesting. Original paint, 34k miles, an E9 for $40k? Lets see what happens when the roulette wheels stops spinning? ;)

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Original paint...I wonder if it can be cut and rubbed and look good.

If so, I'd just run it as-is then. Maybe change the bumpers out and blend in any paint/body work needed into the original paint.

Car does indeed look purty darn good and yes...being original paint you can't go wrong w/what I can see.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Original paint...I wonder if it can be cut and rubbed and look good.
In my experience with E3/E9’s of that era, the clear coat structurally fails. The best you can do, if the color coat is still ok, is carefully sand it down to the color coat and re-clear. But I have never seen that work for long.

Paul, gonna keep the automatic and give it a try? What would be really unusual is if you restored the emissions system.

This doesn’t have the dreaded air pump and thermal reactors, and the EGR isn't quite as bad as many make it out to be. The throttle return vacuum plunger is what I hated most about the ‘74 smog system, but you can deactivate it while leaving the pieces intact.

john

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What many bidders overlooked on this auction is key -it is the original paint. Original paint hides no sins. Photos at arrival should be very interesting. Original paint, 34k miles, an E9 for $40k? Lets see what happens when the roulette wheels stops spinning? ;)

I made an assumption about a cheap respray based on the photo below. In retrospect I think the car was hit with a touched p brush at some point. There is evidence of that elsewhere but no glaring signs of a respray.

BE91A09D-06B4-47C7-8A3E-80F609F63FE9.jpeg

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update: Plans for the car. Below are some hints. I want to thank fellow E9'er Mike Pelly for his generosity in opening up his private reserve of parts. So far all the bumper parts have been sourced. I purchased the burn victim rear bumper set from Autobahn that was on Ebay. (surface burns but straight and intact).

I am going to start with the '72 and earlier front bumper bracket to modify to fit the 74 frame rails. We will see how deep that rabbit hole is.

Car is in transit and should arrive in Calif. this week.

Attachments

• IMG_7799.jpg
    IMG_7799.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 95

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Update: Plans for the car. Below are some hints. I want to thank fellow E9'er Mike Pelly for his generosity in opening up his private reserve of parts. So far all the bumper parts have been sourced. I purchased the burn victim rear bumper set from Autobahn that was on Ebay. (surface burns but straight and intact).

I am going to start with the '72 and earlier front bumper bracket to modify to fit the 74 frame rails. We will see how deep that rabbit hole is.

Car is in transit and should arrive in Calif. this week.
Brilliant!
Keep us posted.
It never gets old does it Paul?:cool: