BAT: Original 71 2800cs

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Sadly NMNA.
Looks like a seriously original car in great condition. 1 family owned. @HB Chris is that an original under engine shield?
It sure will be interesting to see what final bid will be. Should be pretty substantial.

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Love. Is this true: “The 2.8-liter M30 inline-six is equipped with a pair of two-barrel Zenith downdraft carburetors and was rated at 192 horsepower when new.”?
I didn’t think even the 3.0csi had that much power?

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Love. Is this true: “The 2.8-liter M30 inline-six is equipped with a pair of two-barrel Zenith downdraft carburetors and was rated at 192 horsepower when new.”?
I didn’t think even the 3.0csi had that much power?
I think you’re correct. 3.0cs had 180 HP from the factory. So a 2800 would be less even in euro spec. BAT doesn’t always fact check their sellers. I guess they don’t feel they have to.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Description also says “four wheel disk brakes”. Even the casual e9 enthusiast knows 2800cs had rear drums. I know some get converted to rear disks. But a close look at the rear wheel photos show the drums still in place.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Description also says “four wheel disk brakes”. Even the casual e9 enthusiast knows 2800cs had rear drums. I know some get converted to rear disks. But a close look at the rear wheel photos show the drums still in place.
I had to comment on BaT which I try to avoid at all costs. I did not comment on the red one, I just bit my tongue. Even the receipt from Carl Nelson shows solid rotors.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had to comment on BaT which I try to avoid at all costs. I did not comment on the red one, I just bit my tongue. Even the receipt from Carl Nelson shows solid rotors.
Thanks! I had forgotten the 2800 front rotors are solid not vented.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
To my eye, that is the most original, in decent condition, E9 to come across in a long while. It looks like it has the early (original) Hella headlamps with curved glass, prior to the going flat to allow for the introduction of headlamp wipe wash. I've never seen those headlamps. The dash wood is pristine; even in 'nice' cars the telltale corners usually fade a bit. The oil canister stencil looks 95% still there. The firewall insulation all there even with the fuel line hanger in place (!). Engine underbelly pan there. Original velour/nylonfock, notwithstanding the small tear, looking very, very good. Wow.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't know why they left the overspray on the rear underside where at the gas tank and spare tire. The amount of wear at the steering wheel column is like my very tired 2800cs, faded engine bay and rust around the engine bay makes me wonder. I agree that it is very "original/decent condition" and they aren't hiding the fact that they've done restoration on it (spare seat cloth in the trunk, other interior parts in one of the pictures). I just wonder if there is more restoration less original than meets the eye. I'm definitely the novice here, just posing the question.

Last edited:

floridabmx

Reaction score
That’s a beauty. And such an elegant color for a coupe. Miss my sahara car everyday

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Sadly NMNA.
Looks like a seriously original car in great condition. 1 family owned. @HB Chris is that an original under engine shield?
It sure will be interesting to see what final bid will be. Should be pretty substantial.
Regarding the under engine shield, it does appear to be the original unit. I have only seen one other, on a similar mileage 3.0CS purchased out of a museum in Europe. Regarding the added trim, when I bought my coupe ten years ago it had very similar trim installed and unfortunately the body had been drilled to attach it. It appears this car has been painted, based on the slightly mis-aligned trim on the left rear quarter panel (image 16). If that is in fact the case I suppose the new owner would have the option of removing that trim and having the car painted below the belt line. Given the condition of the rest of the car, I would leave it as is.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding the under engine shield, it does appear to be the original unit. I have only seen one other, on a similar mileage 3.0CS purchased out of a museum in Europe. Regarding the added trim, when I bought my coupe ten years ago it had very similar trim installed and unfortunately the body had been drilled to attach it. It appears this car has been painted, based on the slightly mis-aligned trim on the left rear quarter panel (image 16). If that is in fact the case I suppose the new owner would have the option of removing that trim and having the car painted below the belt line. Given the condition of the rest of the car, I would leave it as is.
Look at the overspray under the car, in the rear, it has at least been partially painted.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't know why they left the overspray on the rear underside where at the gas tank and spare tire. The amount of wear at the steering wheel column is like my very tired 2800cs, faded engine bay and rust around the engine bay makes me wonder. I agree that it is very "original/decent condition" and they aren't hiding the fact that they've done restoration on it (spare seat cloth in the trunk, other interior parts in one of the pictures). I just wonder if there is more restoration less original than meets the eye. I'm definitely the novice here, just posing the question.

Good observations It’s been repainted at least once, not anytime recently. However, the presence of fabric is only an indication of intent to repair the seats. I don’t see any signs that the seats have been recovered. Recovered seats rarely look that “factory”, and the fabric is almost always wrong.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Regarding the under engine shield, it does appear to be the original unit. I have only seen one other, on a similar mileage 3.0CS purchased out of a museum in Europe. Regarding the added trim, when I bought my coupe ten years ago it had very similar trim installed and unfortunately the body had been drilled to attach it.

I know of multiple cars with this trim. Many of them 74’s. The 74’s make sense given that Hoffman wasn’t managing all the options of that point (am I correct @HB Chris)? I suspect that there is a single dealer out there that did this to all of their coupes. Given that this car was purchased used, I’m guessing a dealer spruced it up with that trim.

@bimbill is correct. It is always screwed in place.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good observations It’s been repainted at least once, not anytime recently. However, the presence of fabric is only an indication of intent to repair the seats. I don’t see any signs that the seats have been recovered. Recovered seats rarely look that “factory”, and the fabric is almost always wrong.
Thanks Markos :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Definitely repainted, no road rash under front bumper and screws to hold cardboard panel are painted. It was up to the dealer and customer if they wanted that aftermarket rub strip but you don’t see them very often. A friend with an early 3.0CS has it, they were riveted or screwed to the body in most cases I think.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My avatar longs for a different Sahara.

The low mileage is puzzling. A GPS and a radar detector in a car that barely moves a few miles a year?
Rebuilt calipers and replaced brake pads with less than 27k miles?
The clock does not work, for a car coming from Switzerland!
The Yokohamas are 21 years old, I see surface rust in weird places.
Stickers galore.
The side trim cannot be unseen.
Oh, I think the glove in the trunk is OJ Simpson's.