BAT: Original 71 2800cs

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm somewhat surprised that after 2 days the seller has not answered any questions or at least introduced himself. In his defence, he joined BaT in March of this year (probably to sell this car) so may not be familiar with the system, what works/doesn't work, etc. A couple of commenters have hijacked the auction for their own side discussion.

Also, I would think there would be plenty of detailed pictures of the potential rust areas in an E9. A savvy buyer of an E9 knows that is THE most important concern. This car has indicators that it is rust free or near rust free, but for the money these sell for, proof will be needed.

I have a feeling it will sell to someone who does a personal PPI. It may be a bargain since the pool of potential buyers that live close enough is not that big.

Last edited:

restart

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to this?
944A5644-E898-4D76-8606-3067A85D0D5E.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I call it inner fender migration and have discussed it in the past. I don’t know what causes it but I wouldn’t be surprised if stiffer struts have something to do with it.

Brought it up here and highlighted in my scary rust video:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I think that if you were to examine in person, you would find that the top
of the hump is inline with the gutter, not above.

If you click on the link I posted above, I showed some pics of a BaT car where the fenders are rubbing the hood.

An extreme example would be my parts car, where the inner fenders were about 2” higher than the outers...

400E2350-5BFA-4CC7-94C8-D19BE15B27B3.jpeg

From road test photos in the 1970s...

Jon B

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I think that if you were to examine in person, you would find that the top
of the hump is inline with the gutter, not above.
Markos, I'll have to respectfully disagree.
The last photo I posted clearly shows the hump interrupting the inner gutter line, even from a fairly high angle.

Can you please post some period photo evidence that supports your view?
Realize you're implying that many cars, like the 71 Sahara on BaT, have serious structural issues when they most likely do not.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, I'll have to respectfully disagree.
The last photo I posted clearly shows the hump interrupting the inner gutter line, even from a fairly high angle.

Can you please post some period photo evidence that supports your view?
Realize you're implying that many cars, like the 71 Sahara on BaT, have serious structural issues when they most likely do not.

I appreciate your opinion and the dialogue. I can't use a 2D black & white picture from the wrong angle to confirm whether the inner fender tops are inline with the gutter. I also don't think that a 3-5mm deviation is a "serious structural issue". I think that in general, most people completely over estimate the impact of structural "issues". Steel is extremely forgiving. That is why you can drive a car with no rockers or floors for decades if you are so inclined.

I can only state what I know. I know that my project car has one fender with a top that is inline with the gutter, and one that is about 3mm proud. I know that my parts car with major rust issues had the inner fenders well past the hood line. I know that @HB Chris any countless other coupes have inner fenders that land inline with the gutter. I know of at least 3 1974 coupes (one that I personally inspected, two on BaT) that had inner fender tops rubbing the underside of the hood to the point that the paint was scuffed. For me, this is enough evidence to support a theory that over time, the inner fenders bend a bit.

My goal isn't to highlight potential 'flaws' in anyone's car. There is value in knowing or at least pondering this phenomenon. I'm obviously not the only person who has recognized this behavior. @restart brought this to light.

I'll add the Bat References later, not to knock the lovely cars but to highlight the observation...

Edit:

Last edited:

Jon B

Reaction score
Mine comes up to top of gutter edge
Chris, on my '72 the insulation rises slightly above the gutter edge on both sides.
But I suspect there was some normal variance in this, and I wouldn't imply that anything slightly more, on its own, indicates a serious structural issue.
DSCN3026.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, on my '72 the insulation rises slightly above the gutter edge on both sides.
But I suspect there was some normal variance in this, and I wouldn't imply that anything slightly more, on its own, indicates a serious structural issue.

Nobody other than you has referred to this as a structural issue. ;)

Jon B

Reaction score
I call it inner fender migration and have discussed it in the past. I don’t know what causes it but I wouldn’t be surprised if stiffer struts have something to do with it.

Brought it up here and highlighted in my scary rust video:
Markos, I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your comments in reply to restart's question...

restart: "Can anyone speak to this?"
Markos: "I call it inner fender migration... Brought it up here and highlighted in my scary rust video".

I read that as an implied structural issue to the '71 Sahara on BaT, based on the "humps" rising slightly above the gutter edge.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your comments in reply to restart's question...

restart: "Can anyone speak to this?"
Markos: "I call it inner fender migration... Brought it up here and highlighted in my scary rust video".

I read that as an implied structural issue to the '71 Sahara on BaT, based on the "humps" rising slightly above the gutter edge.

Oh no, my rust video is scary for a multitude of reasons. Did you watch it? Wait at least 30
minutes after a meal. :D

One of the reasons why I made that video was to highlight that jacking a car up by the rockers is not an appropriate way to determine rocker integrity as some have claimed. It also illustrates my point that steel is extremely forgiving given that my rockers look like grandma’s crocheted doilies.

Last edited: