BaT Photographers?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My brother does event photography and is interested in doing freelance work for BaT. Does anyone have an idea of what BaT charges for one of their recommended photographers, or what the rate is if they are independent? Thanks!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
BaT charges $349 to have your car photographed including the normal $99 listing fee...so $250 for the photography...

I think all of the photographers are independants. Here's an application to become one (bottom of this page)...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is the writers they need to fire, it is so poetically kitch to read Bla bla was finished at the factory in bla over bla (well I am glad the factory shipped the car finished...) and bla rims wrapped in bla tire brand (I asked America's Tires if they could wrap my rims in new rubber and they laughed me out of the shop...) and power is provided by a bla power plant paired with a bla transmission (I am glad they are paired else I guess I would have to pair the transmission myself, or just idle the car in my garage...) also amenities include electric windows (great with such amenity I can roll them up and down to make my commute go by faster...) and recent work includes a bla oil change (I am impressed, I thought it would be attributed to previous ownership...).

Reaction score
It is the writers they need to fire, it is so poetically kitch to read Bla bla was finished at the factory in bla over bla (well I am glad the factory shipped the car finished...) and bla rims wrapped in bla tire brand (I asked America's Tires if they could wrap my rims in new rubber and they laughed me out of the shop...) and power is provided by a bla power plant paired with a bla transmission (I am glad they are paired else I guess I would have to pair the transmission myself, or just idle the car in my garage...) also amenities include electric windows (great with such amenity I can roll them up and down to make my commute go by faster...) and recent work includes a bla oil change (I am impressed, I thought it would be attributed to previous ownership...).
I agree totally, they write a lot of crap often stating the bleeding obvious!

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have recently witnessed the emasculation of my suggested prose on BaT, I'd suggest that they'd have to fire the lawyers before they fire the writers, if you want to see more interesting copy. The formulaic writing comes from the need (and likely rules and content guidelines handed to listing writers) to be neutral and boringly objective in the description of vehicles, sometimes even when documentation is provided. So you see safe-harbor phrases like "seller notes" and "is visible." As an intermediary, they're not going to put themselves on the hook for a claim made by their own writers in a listing. That doesn't excuse the constant repetition of "wrapped in" and "finished in" and "framed by," but it sets the tone.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is the writers they need to fire...
I think the hands of the writers are tied. BaT's first duty with their listing write up is to avoid any liability. Second is to make the listing process quick and easy. They have to come up with 40-60 of these every day, 7 days a week. They are going to fit whatever the seller submits into their template. The seller has an opportunity to review and suggest changes to the write up, but I have never had any luck doing that except to correct a few blatant errors of fact.

What is in the write up is generally what a potential bidder can see in the first 5 pictures...
"The car is finished in silver over a blue interior"

When that is not enough to fill the required word count, features common to all cars of that make/model are listed...
"Exterior features include quad headlamps, side moldings, fender vents, dual side mirrors, and a single exhaust outlet...the cabin features wood trim on the dash, console, and door panels."

The seller should consider the BaT write up as essentially worthless (but generally not harmful). In all fairness, BaT is VERY successful. It's pretty much sour grapes to complain about their process. I wish I had thought of the concept. They own the online collector car auction biz. There are now many wannabees, but starting a competitor to BaT is like starting a competitor to eBay. That ship has sailed. BaT has the critical mass.

The good news is the seller is free to write an ACTUAL description of the car. The seller should not wait for the commenters to ask the correct leading questions in order to present the car properly to potential bidders.

Prepare a complete write up on the car. All the good points, warts, history, etc. This can be many pages if necessary. Put yourself in the shoes of a potential buyer. What would you want to know in order to be comfortable before spending a lot of money for a car sight unseen? Recap this write up with a comment early on in the auction process. Just the highpoints..3-4 paragraphs, but let the group know you have a very complete write up that you will send to anyone who wants it through the "Contact Seller" button.

BaT provides us with probably the best place to market a collector car. I can't think of another that will get more potential buyers involved. We don't have to be a passive part of their process, however. They leave the door wide open for us.

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have tried to talk my writing friends to write the descriptions & all have declined.

If I have to read about one more "mated to a 4-speed or 5-speed" it pushes my infuriated button so much I don't bother reading them.

Think we all have a firm grasp on what separates one car from another. A picture is worth a million BaT descriptions.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
They are actively seeking writers. I get emails and see on Social Media.
Yes, some of the writing is suspect but I will say that the final post description is no better or worse that what the seller lets them post.
Seller has final approval. I know I've sold on there.
Like anything is has it good and bad.
Some of the constant commenters bug me. They have 2056 comments but have never bought or sold a car.
Yes, oil changed a week ago is amazing, like that is the magic formula to sell your car.
Gary

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Commenting is how BAT started out. When I joined we were still submitting craigslist finds for write up. I've placed a bid on exactly one motorcycle. I can say if I were in the market for something on there and had the funds I would most definitely want the experts chiming in. What bugs me are the horse race commenters during the frantic bidding at the end.
The current writing doesn't bother me at all. At least they stopped using "commensurate". I know if I'm curious about the wheels I can scroll down to paragraph three or whatever and find out what they are. Same with every listing. I'll take that over the atrocious writing on some of the other sites any day- "Remember a few paragraphs back when I wrote that this has an engine? Well, let me tell you about the engine now..."

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like reading the comments as a consumer. I would likely be annoyed as a seller. Many commenters feel compelled to tell their childhood stories which always seems to go over well. Others like to display their perceived expertise which often falls flat. I used to get pulled into the minutiae but I can’t keep up with the auction volume this summer.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Comments are the spice of life and the reason I read Yahoo news until the phantom of PC had Yahoo remove comments.
Look at our board. Our threads are a substance post followed by 90% of commentary plus banter. With knowledge humor and civility.
Comments on BAT are trickier because they are more voyeurism than here, and for that I do not enjoy them that much.
One useful piece of information on BAT would be the current collector's insurance policy of the car, because it signals how the owner valued the car and with agreed value that the insurer agreed. Spare me the oil change receipt and show me your insurance policy is my rallying cry.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
If someone is serious about a car they will request more information from the seller. BaT could give a rats a** if the average joe likes the add copy or not. The model is working and the sell through rate is the envy of the industry...