Battery Hold Down

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I ordered the L-shaped hold down w/ bracket from PenskeParts and can't for the life of me figure out how its supposed to work. The stem has a fixed flange, so the length cannot be adjusted. The 90 degree "hook" ends up about 2" higher than the battery!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 127

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The trapezoidal piece is supposed to go over the base of the battery (the other side of the battery slides under the edge of the tray by the fender so it's locked in place) then you screw it down. It should hold it tight unless your threads are shot like mine so I bolt it from below. There should be clearance between the top of the battery and the handle.

jmackro

Reaction score
The trapezoidal piece is supposed to go over the base of the battery.....

...which assumes that your battery has a flange at its base that extends out along the two long sides. If your battery just has smooth sides then the OE hold-down has nothing to push against.

I fabricated a non-stock hold-down for my coupe that has two rods extending up vertically above the top of the battery that secure a piece of flat stock across the battery top. It definitely looks non-original, but my battery isn't going anywhere.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Yes, my battery does have a flange. So there's supposed to be clearance? That's what was throwing me...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes the battery is held at the base flange, the hook at the top is the handle and doesn't touch the battery top

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I started taking my coupe to the track the officials were aghast at the factory setup.

I bought two different hold downs from Pep Boys and fabricated one hold down. It is not stock looking but it looks like something A factory MIGHT done. At least in my eyes.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
And what about the wave washer? It's threaded onto the stem pretty tightly; does it go above the tray or below, after the stem has been threaded through?

So many questions for something that seems so simple!

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
wavey question

And what about the wave washer? It's threaded onto the stem pretty tightly; does it go above the tray or below, after the stem has been threaded through?

So many questions for something that seems so simple!

Typically the wave washer goes on top, the bolt bears down against it when tightened. It's a DIN style lock washer. Least that's where I always found them, under a bolt head.

Hope you get this sorted out, sounds like you will.

Andy

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Parts diagram shows the washer threaded onto the stem below the tray, and the stem came with one already threaded onto it just below the flange, so I have two...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No washer needed under the tray or on top, just screw the post into the tray. You might want to clean the threads with a Tap first.