Bav seat split

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Curious if anyone here has successfully found a simple cost effective way to repair a split on the seam of a front vinyl seat. All told my interior is in excellent shape but have one split down the center of my drivers seat. I'd rather not have to take it into an interior shop if at all possible... and don't really want to just hide it with a seat cover either. The blue interior is too cool to hide!

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Curious if anyone here has successfully found a simple cost effective way to repair a split on the seam of a front vinyl seat. All told my interior is in excellent shape but have one split down the center of my drivers seat. I'd rather not have to take it into an interior shop if at all possible... and don't really want to just hide it with a seat cover either. The blue interior is too cool to hide!
Hi;
I would try to use what is used to join carpets.It is a wide self adhesive tape and sticks very well. Cut a piece a bit longer than the split slide it under the split and join the leather close together and press down. I promise you will be happy with results. Let me know how you make out.
Koopman

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are vinyl repair guys out there that basically glue and can also paint vinyl if sun damaged. I have found it always best to do repairs right the first time. If they are small splits, the gluing and spraying can work for a little while. But it sounds like you just need to find a good interior guy that will replace the center section or whatever is split. If you can't find the pattern you can press the pattern. Talk to OCCoupe about that. I believe he knows about that. Good luck, curious if anyone has a magic fix but I doubt it if you don't want to cover. Glad you are trying to keep original. Mine were in decent shape minus some minor cracking up at head rest area. I had them "repaired" but they are already splitting, hence save the money there and just do it right. I will have to have some smaller panels/sections replaced now myself. Good luck! Oh, replacing the old horse hair with foam is a great upgrade that didn't cost too much to do. Especially if you are allergic to old horse hair LOL.

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Great suggestions guys. I may try some of the carpet tape as a quick fix and will see what my options are at an interior shop for a permanent fix.

You make a great point that while at it, upgrading to foam. My cushioning in the drivers seat is not good... gotta love that horsehair!

I really want to retain the original look. Everything is in such great shape minus this one tear.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I went in with the same mindset since everything was in such nice condition. The horse hair at this point is pretty much useless and will do more damage to the vinyl keeping it in because you will start digging into vinyl eventually without anything underneath it hitting the metal etc., not to mention not too comfy. Good interior guy will shape foam perfect and make sure you don't get an "over stuffed" look. That can ruin the look immediately. Plus it will stretch the vinyl. So make sure you find a reputable guy and give him lots of pictures to go by if not sure about him/her.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi;
I would try to use what is used to join carpets.It is a wide self adhesive tape and sticks very well. Cut a piece a bit longer than the split slide it under the split and join the leather close together and press down. I promise you will be happy with results. Let me know how you make out.
Koopman
Hi; If you are going to take the cover off, I will have the seat repaired very inexpensively if the split is on a seam.
Let me know.

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
I ended up picking up some of the carpet seam tape.... WOW that stuff is sticky...any very flexible. Considerably better than trying to use duct tape or something like that. It worked perfect. I'll see how it holds for now, but for $5 it's a great option. Thanks for the idea Koopman.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I ended up picking up some of the carpet seam tape.... WOW that stuff is sticky...any very flexible. Considerably better than trying to use duct tape or something like that. It worked perfect. I'll see how it holds for now, but for $5 it's a great option. Thanks for the idea Koopman.
Trust me it will hole. I am an improvisor and most of my ideas have worked great. Not good for those who want pure originality,but a lot less expensive. I had the idea of using plastic or rubber washers behind the belt trim and that worked fine.
I cut and prestitched all my upholstery for the front and rear seats,also came out very nice.
Good Luck
Koopman