Bavaria seat piping color

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm about ready to order a front seat reupholster kit from World.

Mine either have (had) black piping that has worn off in some place to brown....or they have (had) brown piping that has worn off in some places to black. Does anybody know which?

IMG_4426.jpeg

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has anybody else had this happen where a portion of the piping is a different color?

It's odd that the areas that would receive the greatest wear are brown and those that are more protected are black. Same with the back seat.

jmackro

Reaction score
Has anybody else had this happen where a portion of the piping is a different color?

My memory of the Bavarias that I had (one of which I wish I still had, but that's another story) matches the comments above: piping same color as the seat material.

It's odd that the areas that would receive the greatest wear are brown and those that are more protected are black. Same with the back seat.

I would agree if the color change occurred due to wear. But perhaps exposure to sunlight has cooked off the brown pigment, which is why the piping has turned black just on the upper parts of the seats.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My seats are identical to yours, brown piping which showed black underneath. I got some color-matched SEM vinyl paint for the piping and the headrest supports. Used some to spruce up the armrests also. My local auto body supply guy has become a friend and loves the challenge of color matching. He puts the SEM in a bottle with a sponge head to apply. Actually more convenient since no worries about overspray.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 2002s also suffered from this problem where the black underneath appears, it did on my 69 and others I have seen.