BBS RS 16 x ???

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have been searching for a set of 16" RS II's and was hoping someone could confirm that the 16's with et11 offset are the way to go. I'm not sure whether I will go with all four corners the same or staggered. Can someone confirm the offset for the 16X8's in the rear?

Thank you

Benji

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409862411.167440.jpg

These are 16x8 and 16x10. I mounted bigger outside lips.

Barry

Last edited:
Offset

I have never felt the 16" alpinas fit very well. I wondered if the offsets were more suited for a six series. Over almost 20 years I have had a number of wheel and tire combinations on my car. I set up my car to drive (not to show) so I expect the tire not to rub on the front rolled fenders even if I hit a curb parking at full lock. I think the only 16" x 7" wheels that will do this on my car with a a modified euro suspension are 20mm offset. Since some BBS are split three piece I would go for 20-25 mm offset and use a spacer of 1-4 mm if needed.

I like a matching 16 x 8 on the rear where the offset is less critical

Last edited:
Love the look Barry and not having the rear bumper on looks good too.I'm getting ready to replace my bumpers with 73's.I like the look with the diving boards but I'm going to remove air dam and lights when I do the change over.Not sure about comments on Alpina's? I feel they fit the car perfectly for the era.

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 270
Same as the Alpina wheels.
16x8-24

I have a set of 4
BBS RS 8J x 16H2 ET20 wheels that I would like to put on my e9. Is there any way of installing the wheels without having to fold the front fender lips (it’s the front wheels 16x8 that I’m concerned for). I also have the stainless steel wheel arches on the car. Any knowledge here would be a big help.
Cheers Peter

Peter,

one question before i give you my thoughts - what type of springs, standard or lowering springs?

my belief is that with lowering springs and without rolling the lips and having negative camber plates on a coupe with 16" x 8" fronts ... you will cut the tires. i had the issue with 7" wheels. the stainless wheel arches don't really come into play as its inside of the arch that hits the tire.

As someone wrote before on this forum - US market cars had mounted additional distance plates on front. That's why rolling of front fenders was/is needed. Not sure if Australian market cars had this additional plates.
If not, i think you should be ok.
What number have yours RS's or they are custom ET20?

I have a set of 4
BBS RS 8J x 16H2 ET20 wheels that I would like to put on my e9. Is there any way of installing the wheels without having to fold the front fender lips (it’s the front wheels 16x8 that I’m concerned for). I also have the stainless steel wheel arches on the car. Any knowledge here would be a big help.
Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

Do you have BBS RS161’s (edit: RS061’s)? These are desireable wheels. A great option would be for a member to trade plus cash two RS005’s for two of your RS161’s (edit: RS061’s)

You are likely going to have problems with a 8x16” ET20 hitting your shocks, not your lip. It is when you space it out to avoid the shock that you will risk hitting your lip.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

Do you have BBS RS161’s? These are desireable wheels. A great option would be for a member to trade plus cash two RS005’s for two of your RS161’s.

You are likely going to have problems with a 8x16” ET20 hitting your shocks, not your lip. It is when you space it out to avoid the shock that you will risk hitting your lip.
Aren't 161's - 15" Porsche wheels? Maybe 061?

Peter,

one question before i give you my thoughts - what type of springs, standard or lowering springs?

my belief is that with lowering springs and without rolling the lips and having negative camber plates on a coupe with 16" x 8" fronts ... you will cut the tires. i had the issue with 7" wheels. the stainless wheel arches don't really come into play as its inside of the arch that hits the tire.

Thanks for getting back to me, I have standard springs on my set up

Hi Peter,

Do you have BBS RS161’s (edit: RS061’s)? These are desireable wheels. A great option would be for a member to trade plus cash two RS005’s for two of your RS161’s (edit: RS061’s)

That’s a very good option. These are a complete set of 5 off an original 635 hiline which were optioned with these M6 wheels so I was hoping to keep them together. Perhaps I’ll look at buying 2 16x7’s if there isn’t another option?
Oops I meant 061 Thanks!

As much as I would prefer not to roll the lips on the wheel arches, that may be my other option? I’ll try what you suggested and install just the bbs wheel and see if anything is in the way. Thanks for all your help so far Markos

Attachments

• 18380AF6-1652-43AD-A9BD-E62D8ABF87DF.jpeg
    18380AF6-1652-43AD-A9BD-E62D8ABF87DF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 262
  • 250896BF-EBBC-42CC-9C7B-04283215073B.jpeg
    250896BF-EBBC-42CC-9C7B-04283215073B.jpeg
    904.4 KB · Views: 233
:eek: Should have posted the pic first. You couldn’t pry those wheels from my cold dead hands!

They are a beautiful looking wheel. It would be great to squeeze / force them into the wheel space o_O

Last edited:
I have a set of 4
Cheers Peter

Peter, Your Golf CSL looks nice. My second favourite CSL colour :).

I have 16" Alpinas and running 205/50/16 front tyres. I get very slight slicing of the tyres on cornering fast or over speed bumps when the suspension compresses. I also find my silver arch trim does not fit 100% flush on underside of fender lip and it has a sharp edge which doesn't help.

I am still trying to find someone who has rolled both the fenders and silver arch trims on a CSL, but haven't found anyone who has done this. My biggest worry is an overzealous body shop who wrecks or warps my silver arches trying to curve them in. They are basically irreplaceable.

At the moment I have put gaffer tape on the inside lip which seems to stop tyres actually slicing, but it is only a stop-gap measure as I try to figure out how to solve this most irritating problem.

I am also not a fan of rolling fenders as I don't really want to lose originality on my CSL, although if I want the wheel set up I've current got, probably don't have a choice.

(distance plates are illegal in Aust so we don't face that issue here)

20170416_113746 copy.jpg

Back