Be Honest and don't put on a show!!!! What is your car worth???????

The initial purchase price is a bit difficult... I bought a 1970 2800CS "California car" from a guy in Chicago for $3,800.00 on Ebay. This, of course, was after drinking several Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Pale Ales one night. $500.00 more to get the rust heap shipped back to California. While it was a rust bucket it actually ran great and I drove the hell out of it for about a year; my wife wouldn't ride in it but that didn't bother me. Driving home from work I kept noticing an agave 2800CS outside an apartment complex. I stopped a few times and checked it out. It looked like it didn't run but the body was in outstanding condition, virtually no rust. I left my card with a note on the back telling him I was interested if he was selling. After two weeks I stopped buy again and there was another "if you are selling" card along with mine which, I promptly disposed of. About a week later I received a call informing me he was interested in selling but the car wasn't running and needed a valve job. He would get the valve job done and he wanted $6,500.00 for it. I met him one evening to check out the coupe and, at this point I had learned a lot about coup rust what to look for where to find it and this car only had one small spot of rust on the right rear rocker panel. Furthermore, it had never been in an accident. I didn't have the money at the time and while I wanted it I couldn't afford it. Several months went by and the guy kept calling me back wanting me to buy it, he was going through a divorce and he needed the money. He tried to sell it on Ebay but the bidding price never met his reserve price. A few more months went by when he finally agreed to take $2,500.00 for it along with my rusted heap. A quick compression check revealed it needed a new lower end not a valve job but I drove it anyway for about two years with it billowing blue smoke and loved every minute of it. I have sense torn it appart, stripped it down to bare metal, fixed the one rust spot and put a $6,000.00 paint job on it. I have done the 5 speed conversion, installed a rebuilt 3.5 converted it to Motronic 1.3, new rubber all around, beautiful wood restoration and she is not quite finished yet... I am about 2 months away from finishing her and I've been about two months away from finishing her for three to four years now; if I could just find the time... I would have to say I'm about $25,000.00 into it and no it is not for sale, at least not until the divorce...

I paid $19k last summer for a '73CS with 135k miles. It came with Alpina wheels plus the originals, all with new tires, plus it had a Nardi steering wheel. I have it insured (agreed value) @ $20k to cover the sales tax plus a few odds & ends that I had repaired. I don't think I would get any objection from the insurance company if I bump it to $22k.

worth of car

I paid $4000.00 in 1978. Car has been in Ca whole time, now has new paint, interior, 100% rebuiot motor, redone Weber 32/36's. Runs perfect, rust under spare tire, no where else that we found.

Car is for sale as I am retiring to Montana and BMW is not a Montana car, especially a 70 2800cs

I paid 11K for my coupe in 2003. Since then, I'm sure I've put another 15K into it. I've said for the last couple of years that 40K would be the magic number for me to even consider selling it. I guess if I ever really needed the cash, that number could go down in a hurry.

Besides some offers to buy, I've had a couple interesting trade offers thrown at me. One was for a year old Lotus Elise in bright metallic tangerine. The other was for a completely restomoded 50 or 51 Ford woodie. It was seafoam green with a blood red leather interior. It was running on late model Lincoln running gear and had 20K in the wood work alone. Man, it was cool.

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It's been quite awhile since I added up the receipts.

Paid $11k
Car sat for 1 year

Peter took care of the rust, headliner, dash, seats, carpet, carbs, trim, temporary paint, power steering, stereo, new windscreen and other stuff I dont remember--about $15k Id guess.
Car sat for another year

I restored a set of staggers, a tool kit and the wood--about $4k all in.
Car sat for another year

EuroMotors added another slushbox, headwork, radiator, flywheel, brakes, carb work--about $2k
Put 200 miles on it.
Car sat for another year

NoHo Speedo calibrated, cleaned and painted the instruments--about $400

EuroMotors about to finish a 5sp swap, ss brake lines, dressed the engine bay, sound and thermal insulation in the cabin, re-did the wood, more new trim, euro bumper conversion, new heater core, AC lines, H4's--about $10k.

About $42 all in. Value ??...If not for this car I would have spent the money on women and wine with nothing to show for it.

paid $12500 for mine in 2008. Nothing special to look at except for the fact that there is no rust. I know.. there has to be rust somewhere, right? Not on this one. I've had the interior comlpletely out, trunk trim, had my mechanic check the inner rockers and doors, shock towers, underside etc. Its clean but for the slightest surface patina here or there. The interior was pretty ragged... dried and ripped leather front and rear and the floor mats were crap. The paint is beyond bad due to at least 2 half-assed resprays. On the bright side, Mesa dropped in a euro spec 80's m30 and 5 speed and performed all of the maintenance on it for at least 8 years that i can verify ($12,000 in receipts). Since I've had it, I bolted on triple webers, new booster, upgraded / replaced various engine components, added Bilstein HDs and H&R springs, replaced the interior (recaros up front), upgraded the sound system to Alpine and Infinity Kappa components, replaced the rear deck trim, mats, added guages, alpina spoiler / wheels & steering wheel... and few more odds and ends. New paint (bare metal) on the way this spring. All in all, probably an additional $7000 that i've dropped into it + the paint. I'm hopefully looking at a value of between $25k and $30k after paint. Not sure if that's in the ballpark or not...

Last edited:
My car was maroon, not Orange when i saw it the first time.
The "problem zones" of an E9 I´d never seen. I had no idea what I should pay close attention to. A greenhorn....
I payed approximately 5000€ for a rustbucket in 1997!
Restauration was made in Czech Republic 1998-2000: 4000€
"New" motor in 2001: 3500€
New leather and Recaros in 2007: 2500€
Brakes, suspension, LSD, dogleg-5-speed, 16" Alpinas, 14" wolfrace etc, all were a good bag. And a container full of used spareparts, btw....

I´m beneath the 20.000€ level........to deceive oneself :-D

Sell your car now or never!!!

The worth of our cars is a snapshot in the world we are living in today.

I figure out concerning the totally NO interest in old cars with our next generation of kids.
In about 20-30 years our cars are not worth much more than the metal.

So if you bought a E9 to secure your older living economically. Sell it today!

I will have my E9 to the day my kids are arguing who will take the piece of metal to crap yard and I'm retarded by age.

Worth?

Whatever someone is willing to pay.....
In hard times a $20,000 "discretionary expense" is hard to justify.
If there is a seller who really needs cash, that $20,000 can be greatly discounted.
In good times, that price can easily inflate in the other direction.

But, you guys all know that.

My car is insured at "agreed value" but if I needed cash badly I probably would not see that much money. However all shined up and beautiful at a car show, somebody may make an emotional decision and offer more than that.

I love my car and there is nothing on any showroom floor that I could purchase for $30,000 that I would enjoy as much....

I've got you all beat. Ultimate garage find.

I got a great deal on my 1971 2800CS that I think will be hard to beat. Last year one on my workers called me up to tell me about a customer who had an old junk car in the garage to get rid of. I asked what it was and by the time he got to the 2800... I said I would be right there. The person thought it was worthless because the tires were flat and a back brake was sticking. Ran when parked but stopped using it 20 years ago because the carbs were out of sync. I came over expecting to see a rustbucket but it was completely dry except for the bumpers had surface rust. Straight body, perfect glass, headliner, good interior, only missing the red screwdriver. The only body damage was where he had tried to jack up the front end and the jack slipped into the edge of the fender. He was jacking it up because he thought it was faster to put air in with no weight on the wheel. :confused:Engine had one cylinder with rusty plug so I figured I could replace it. Towed the car home myself, net cost $0.00
Couple of months later I was looking on craigslist and saw a complete 1972 bavaria 3.0 with good engine and bad automatic. total cost $200.00. I still haven't done the swap but I can see that after selling off the Bav parts I might actually make money on this deal.
I don't know what all you guys are complaining about, these cars are cheap.:-D

Attachments

• bargain barn 001.jpg
    bargain barn 001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 178
  • bargain barn 002.jpg
    bargain barn 002.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 162
Another 2000 cs

I bought my euro headlight 2000cs in 2000 for $3,600. It had a nice Alpine paint job on it, with an older minor resto job done on it to make it look nice on the interior. 6 years ago it blew a head gasket, and when pulling the head I noticed it didn't have have high compression pistons, not the original engine. In the intervening 6 years I'm putting the finishing touches on a proper engine rebuild, 9.5 compression pistons for the CS, and a 5 speed swap. That will be the tricky part as the 2000cs had the Ruth Goldberg center bearing holder. I'm putting in the standard 2002 center bearing. I have $4000 in the engine, and about $1,000 so far into the tranny swap (I'll have to hire someone to do some center bearing support welding for me).
I've had this car tarped up in my driveway for all that time, once in a while washing and waxing to keep the paint nice. Dang! My son was 3 years old the last time he rode in this car. I must say putting the engine back together is a beautiful thing. The M10 is a work of art!
When I'm done I'll have ~$10,000 into it. Which I'm sure is more than its worth since the 2000 CS's, although rare, don't pull in much money. It needs some rust repair, it will never be worth a total restoration, so I'm gonna drive the heck out of it on dry days, getting my money's worth out of that engine rebuild.

Road Trip!! 45 DCOE's sucking huge air as I shift into 5th gear!

Mark

I bought my 71 2800CS last spring for $1800 canadian. I had to get it trailered, since it had sat for several years, but wangled that for only 300. The only other major expense was a new muffler and tailpipe, about 350 canadian. Thank goodness, too, since I'm officially a broke student.

I paid $12000 for a 73 cs with sun roof, air, and limited slip diff, with 57000 original documented miles,a no rust california car. I have spent close to $10k in parts alone to get this car looking and running great, and it is a treat to see how much people enjoy looking at this car when I drive it on weekends. In my opinion these cars are undervalued, and sooner or later the low production numbers will raise prices.

Hi I bought mine in germany dusseldof for about 4 months . I got one which was renovated 13 years ago there is no rust in it but it is not in super condition. but when is yours e 9 in super condition. Since I have spent about 4000 euro on suspention, spring Nardi steering wheel, and much more, but the car I paid 10,500 euros plus a fee of 6000 euros so I can get it on the Danish number plates ( we have one of the world's most expensive charges on cars 180%).it is 3.0 csi

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 113
Bought my New To You '72 CSi last November for $14,500. Probably paid $2000 too much for it but that was the commission. It appears to have sat in a garage for about ten years prior to the sale. 62,000 kM (38,000mi) so definitely low mileage! I've installed new brakes all around, muffler, new fuel and water lines, oil filter housing, other misc stuff. Probably have $1500 into it. Will find out tomorrow how much the fender rust will set me back. Seems like $8-10,000 is the going rate for fender rust/new paint job.

But it runs great and I love it. May put the rust off for a while, at least until summer (unless I have an A/C by then)

Hi I bought mine in germany dusseldof for about 4 months . I got one which was renovated 13 years ago there is no rust in it but it is not in super condition. but when is yours e 9 in super condition. Since I have spent about 4000 euro on suspention, spring Nardi steering wheel, and much more, but the car I paid 10,500 euros plus a fee of 6000 euros so I can get it on the Danish number plates ( we have one of the world's most expensive charges on cars 180%).it is 3.0 csi

Nice car! 6.000 Euros import duties!? I recall in Norway the duties went to almost nothing for 25 year old cars or so?

Next time call me, I'll come with a screwdriver and find you a license plate around town :).

Paid $1700 for my '73 CSi in 1985. It had been cracked in the front and needed a nose and fenders, but appeared to be rust-free. Saved my money and bought the needed body panels and had them installed. Drove the car that way, with half of it in primer, for a few years as that was all I could afford. When the fenders were replaced, the shop confirmed that there was only a dime-sized rust hole underneath, which obviously they patched.

Saved more money and had the car painted in about 1988, seven coats of wet-sanded urethane and seven coats of clear. Slid down that slippery slope and replaced all the rubber and chrome. I've been very careful with the car since then, and it is still 99.9% rust free and gorgeous.

I wrote about the process in The Roundel, and at the time, added up the costs at about $14.5k. I've since put in a 3.2L motor with L-Jetronic injection, a 5-speed, and retrofitted a/c. I did all that myself so it was just parts costs, which weren't that bad. I am who I am, so to some, the work was not done correctly; when I open up the engine compartment, folks may jump all over me and point to this and that. There are also a zillion little things that are not finished (interior and trunk trim pieces and whatnot). So the shiny paint notwithstanding, it is not a concours car.

I put the car on a Hagerty policy about six years ago and gave them the stated value of $14k. It's probably "worth" more, but I think that, in this economy, if I tried to sell it, it may be about right.

I hope everyone reading this (hell, I hope everyone in the entire automotive world) knows that it ALWAYS makes more sense to spend the money and buy something that someone else has dumped the $40k into, but a) we don't always have the ante to put on the table, and b) where's the fun in that?

:^)

As members of this forum we are quick to comment about any car that is for sale regarding the asking price and if we agree to it or not but no one is willing to be honest about what they paid for their coupe, WHY???? Only way we can truly determine the value of the coupes we own is to know what our fellow members are paying for them. We are quick to judge if something is worth it or not but what are we basing the value on?? CoupeKing actually is honest enough to put his asking price which I respect but at the same time based on what he sells his cars for my car is worth a mimimum of $25,000 even though I only paid $7,500 for it. Lets get real and be honest and maybe we can have a honest discussion of the value of our cars. If you agree post what you paid for your car...I know, you got a bargain and your car is worth way way more. I won't think any less of you if you did not pay that much for you car.

I was being sarcastic claiming my car is probably worth $25k. I think some people caught on to that and some didn't. My car is worth about $7,500 I would estimate. It is avery solid California car which is almost rust free but it has layers of horrible paint that is flaking off in pieces daily. I would imagine there is about 5 layers of paint. You can actually see the layers when you look at the chipped pieces horizontaly. I have a can of spray paint handy to paint the spots that peel for protection against rust until I can properly paint it.The dash has cracks and the wood inside needs to be redone also. It is a great and reliable daily driver and that is what I love most about it.

Last edited:
Back