Beautiful 1600 GT on Bat

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rare and a full correct restoration (other than the front bumper angle?) it seems, although I've read differing opinions of Oldenzaal's work. Going to be very expensive, I'll guess over $100K for it to meet reserve. With the Frua design these cars have all the Italian sexiness, and German engineering for reliability.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What a beautiful machine.

Paging SkiCoach -- Hey Chris: what is your take on this baby compared to the ones you own?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Late model Spanish made Webers are a slight buzzkill but beautiful car and I'd love to have it

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting that the air intake "horns" on the air filter housing are pointed downward, drawing air from underneath the carbs along the frame rail. I wonder why they didn't relocate the distributor and draw air from behind the left headlight, similar to the way air is drawn into the cabin from behind the right headlight.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I (and many of us..) had no pot to pi** in in the dark of the recession, there was a solid Glas on ebay in South Dakota, I think, for about $1500, somewhat apart, all there, no rust, original pale yellow..couldn't justify a car that was going to be less than the shipping with our monthly income so stunted. Shoulda, coulda, etc. Anyone here buy it?

Ski coach

Deceased
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As many know, I am very fond of these cars to say the least. There is really very little to nit pick on this car except for the outside rear view mirror which should be positioned forward on the front fender. Also, that’s a Glas shift knob. The V appearing front bumper is correct. The Weber replacement of the Solex carbs is a commonly acceptable substitution. The headliner is not correct but done to a high standard.
Overall, this car appears to be of Concours condition. I am currently restoring a BMW 1600GT and a Glas 1700GT, both of which will slightly exceed the quality of this car for some minor adherences to originality and very rare optional equipment.
Value of these cars is difficult due to there rarity, but it is my belief that given the combination of design, reliability, and availability of parts they will continue to appreciate. The International Glas Club, which includes the BMW 1600GT, has over a thousand members and is very active with an impressive Quarterly magazine and lots of activities.
My biased guess is that this car will sell for 100-125k and the new owner will treasure it.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The white 1968 1600GT did well during Car Week. Being familiar with these cars through Ski Coach & Axel. It was a good looking example.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Did they ever make a bmw 1600 cabriolet?

To me, the hard top kinda funky, but drop top Glas is beautiful
HMN0319-SCP-01.jpg

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you want a cabriolet, the 1700 cabriolet is as close as you will get. There are two of them in the US. Here they are, at Lime Rock 2018:

IMG_1308.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this 1600gt is simply gorgeous ... bidding is stalled at 77k and i am certain it won't clear reserves at that. been thinking it should minimum clear 125k but should really hit 150k

Last edited: