Attachments

• IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a movie scene where you have to pic the tool that will be used on you for torture. In that case I'd go with the socket wrench! :D

It's not particularly sentimental, but I do have a great appreciation for old tools. Eventually I will pick up a full size drill press. No room for a Bridgeport sadly.

I restored this Wilton bullet vise a few years ago. This thread just reminded me to order some smooth jaws for it. I'm sick of putting teeth marks on my parts.

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/bullet-vise-resto.26747/

37526816270_db2cdaf4ea_b.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Aaaah, your Stella reminded me that I use hog-ring pliers to open bottles in my "man cave". They work better for that than they do for hog rings.

Alan, your grandfather's alignment tool is like the ones we used when putting up my friends steel building. We called them "howdoyoudos". I don't know why, I just went along with it. I think it's because they didn't know what they were called.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beer in the shop. As much as I like cracking a cold beer after working on my cars, I am weak willed, and therefore don't keep anything more distracting in my shop than a radio and a box of Ritz crackers. FWIW, my favorite old tools are a bunch of century old framing and carpentry chisels that I purchased at various yard sales (Buck Bros and Witherby). It took a lot of effort to flatten them out, but they are now fully functional and ready to cut me when I get careless.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beer in the shop. As much as I like cracking a cold beer after working on my cars, I am weak willed, and therefore don't keep anything more distracting in my shop than a radio and a box of Ritz crackers. FWIW, my favorite old tools are a bunch of century old framing and carpentry chisels that I purchased at various yard sales (Buck Bros and Witherby). It took a lot of effort to flatten them out, but they are now fully functional and ready to cut me when I get careless.

Well, I'm 99% sure your car was made by men who had a bottle of beer on the bench!! I toured the BMW manufacturing facility in 1980, and every shop bench had one or several beers (open) on the bench - assembly line, engine building, etc. I was quite surprised. SO - Alan's picture is 'recht an'.

Gary

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I'm 99% sure your car was made by men who had a bottle of beer on the bench!! I toured the BMW manufacturing facility in 1980, and every shop bench had one or several beers (open) on the bench - assembly line, engine building, etc. I was quite surprised. SO - Alan's picture is 'recht an'.

Gary
Maybe that's why German car quality isn't as good as the Japanese? Just kidding. The issue with German cars is that they like pushing the envelope of complexity whereas Japanese cars tend to lag perhaps 1/2 or 2 generation behind in technology (with a possible exception of Honda).

We stock beer in our German office, but nobody partakes until the end of the day or perhaps when we barbeque on a nice Friday afternoon.
We have wine and beer in our French office, but again no consumption till the work is done.

Maybe this is a reflection of the fact that the parent company of these offices is American?

John

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The issue with German cars is that they like pushing the envelope of complexity whereas Japanese cars tend to lag perhaps 1/2 or 2 generation behind in technology

Are you being serious? 1/2 or 2 generations behind would put them up to 12-15 years behind. I see all kinds of newer vehicles every day and the Japanese manufacturers are not behind. At all. Compare a new Lexus to a BMW lately?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since my Grandfather was a carpenter and tool collector, most of my favorite tools are for carpentry. The the stainless Stiletto cats-paw is new and a work of art. Eveything else is over 100 years old.

1B4D5226-8DF6-4917-8B04-9E5E789F13CB.jpeg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you being serious? 1/2 or 2 generations behind would put them up to 12-15 years behind. I see all kinds of newer vehicles every day and the Japanese manufacturers are not behind. At all. Compare a new Lexus to a BMW lately?
I might be incorrect even though I work directly with German and Japanese OEM’s and their suppliers. The technology cycle depends highly on what sub-area of the car you are talking about. The faster cycles are on the order of 3 years. Things that are on the slower side are powertrains and Chassis redesigns. Back in the day typical cycle was 10years, but with ever more powerful design and simulation tools, this figure is coming down. Finally, as many of you know, BMW does a facelift of their cars at the 3-year mark. So arguably when I say one generation behind it means about 3-4 years. Fwiw, Most of this stuff is not visible to end-consumers. Infotainment changes are generally very visible because the Germans stagger these with the major model changes (evens out the risk taking over a 6-year model cycle).

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I consider a generation change based on major tooling changes. A face lift change is just that, basically bolt-on cosmetic changes for marketing purposes. I don't know the r&d budgets of the major manufacturers but that might be an indication of new design and technology advances.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The OEM’s retool some stuff every three years (the cosmetic upgrades BMW’s does at the half way mark). But obviously they don’t do everything. Major infotainment upgrades generally are done at facelift ( it a wholesale change of all HW but always some SW changes).

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
All the computer aided design technology and shared resources within design groups has shorted the overall design cycle times a great deal. When I was designing electronic hardware back in the day you really understood how the limitations of the manufacturing processes dictated what designs could become real. Designers could think up anything, then reality sinks in once you go to manufacturing. Case in point, headlights. Every car was designed around a round or rectangular shaped sealed beam unit. Once they figured out how to manufacture plastic headlight assemblies with sealed bulbs the design engineers went crazy with new car shapes and lines.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes CAE has really sped up the design and prototyping process. It is also part of the reason Parts can be designed so precisely to fail when the car is out of warranty by 1-2 years...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
And then came 3D printing. The limitations of a mold have been shattered. Now you can actually add complexity to parts to lower production costs. Just wait!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
STAY ON THE TOPIC OR START A NEW ONE

Will do! This thread inspired me. I bought this on saturday for 50% off marked prices.

59B19FC5-F4AD-4F7D-ADDA-DB2D4A34FA4F.jpeg

Off topic I also tried to buy $600 with of 911 parts for $25 but they decided to bundle them with the car.
5A734C68-AF61-4EE1-825B-46CB59C55A9D.jpeg