Bernie's F1 Circus

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is anyone else not terribly surprised at the Brazil F1 race's results? Anyone who is familiar with Bernie Eccelstone's shenanigans regarding F1 might have come to the same conclusion early in the F1 season when it became obvious the new black guy was cleaning up in the series. Bernie's efforts to get F1 into third world countries like China, Malasia, etc might have forseen the interest that would be generated if a black rookie were to take the driver's championship in 2007. That he did not take the championship smacks of the deal he undoubtedly made with the teams to let him win until it came to the end when it was Ferrari's "turn" to win again. I believe there have been only four teams to win a race let alone a championship in the last twenty years or so, Williams, Ferrari, McClaren and Renaullt (Benneton).

A series that is fastenating technically has under Bernie's "stewardship" become what it used to be called in jest, a circus. During the 2007 season I found myself erasing the race from tivo before watching it all, sometimes just checking speedtv.com for the results and then deleting it. Turning incredably quick technologically fastenating cars into billboards for cancer sticks and a way for Bernie to make another billion or two has made it irrelevant. Not that the US has much to offer in formula cars, and God forbid, NASCRAP. USAC cars (I know, they are someting different now) look clumsy and slow compared to F1 cars, and the roundy round boys could hardly be more boring.

Without a car manufacturer's sponsorship (read mega millions of dollars) and Bernie's blessing drivers and teams are destined to go the way of teams like Spyker and the lot, backmarkers forever. Bernie has now done a number on the Indy US GP race, not enough money to suit him, and after Tony George spent a ton to bring it up to ol' Bernie's standards. Max Mosely seems totally gutless and impotent, why is the series in Bernies hands without any controls? One guess, MONEY.

Really sad.

pj

Reaction score
Dan , I don't think the asian countries really give a rats ass about a (in your words ) a black rookie winning the championship( they would like one of the asian drivers to win.)
Bernie really has a problem and should be relieved off his duties( being PC here). He is an ass
On the subject of US F1 , I am pissed I was all set up to do a trip with a bunch of buddies to Indy next year well thats f'd up now .As are most of the works teams as this is their major market (still trying to get my head around that one)
I would love to see the next US F1 at 1 of my local tracks (Laguna Seca or Infinion ) but that won't happen either.
Kimi is one hell off a driver and deserved to win the Championship but Hamilton(AKA the Black Rookie or will he just be the black guy next year?) is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future as is the BMW team who are improving every race.Another team to watch out for is team Sebastian, or Torro Rosso .

Anyway it was a bad weekend for the English, damn South Africans beat us in the Rugby world Cup and then lewis hashed the F1.

PJ
Ex Pat Loving Life & living in Sunny NorCal (87 degrees today)
73 csi
87 325is Track soon to be 3.2 turbo or would that be 345is
95 M3 Street & Track

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I said black rookie, thats the point, that's Bernie's point, get the minority guy in a winning position, get the minority nations interested in F1. A sport they are probably totally ignorant of, but if there is money there and they allow tobacco advertising Bernie can smell it. Asian nations have been sucked in by the Asian and Malasian drivers that have come and gone in the circus. Mostly unsuccessful, but they suck in Honda and Toyota with their bazillions of dollars (Euros, Yen, whatever). Guys dont have a chance driving the backmarker cars, doesnt matter, they get the third world nations that are stupid enough to think a billion dollar track will actually do their economy any good. Fact is Bernie is the only beneficiary, and some of the teams. Of course Kimi is a good driver, hes been unlucky, but he is talented. I am certain he is far more talented than Hamilton (you really consider him a Brit just because of his accent??), a rookie. My supposition is that Bernie has set this whole scenario up to get the tobacco loving third world BLACK nations to join up and build tracks they cannot afford with tax dollars they extort from people who have none just to make Bernie that much richer.

Alonso saw the disparity between his and the BLACK ROOKIE'S cars, even said he wanted to go back to Renault, but of course his majesty Ron Dennis put the screws to him (undoubtedly had to do with MONEY again) and made him make nice. I think the world championship would have turned out much differently if Alonso had stayed with Renault and imi had stayed with McLaren.

However, all that being said, nothing will change, my opinion matters not and Bernie is richer than God for NO GOOD REASON. Other than manipulating everyone and everything in F1 in "his" version of the F1 circus. Now what to watch, LeMans or Petite LeMans, hell Audi owns that like Ferrari and McLaren own F1. Just anoter procession to wait for the end of. Aston vs. Corvette, thats fun, but now Ford has sold Aston that will go away as well. Wish I gave a crap about Baseball sometimes, but not often.

pj

Reaction score
Dan
please correct me if I am wrong but didn't they stop the Tobaccco Advertising a few years ago

PJ

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was under the impression tobacco advert was still being splashed all over the cars in coutries that allowed it. I have read one of Bernies reasons for trying to exit Europe in favor of third world coutries where tobacco advert is still allowed is to promote tobacco advert. But, I guess I could be wrong.

racerxx

Reaction score
I Can't Wait Until Next Year

Yes it was quite a circus alright. I have been avid F1 fan for many years and have been to many races (never the US Grand Prix though) and even though I'm not a true McLaren/Mercedes fan I am a Lewis Hamilton fan. That guy is amazing and I really was rooting for him and wanted him to win the championship (anyone but Alonso-he's a rat and a cry baby if he doesn't win), however, he made a classic rookie error in Brazil. He only had to get fifth place to win the championship and he fights his teammate, who he knows will run him off the track, he's done it before, yet he gets caught up in a challenge with everything to loose and he does just that.

As for Hamilton being a incredible rookie, just remember he started his rookie year with a top team. Which unlike many others before him had to work their way up through the ranks to land a plum team. So he did have quite an advantage. However, having said that, the man is still amazing and a true gentleman. You will be hearing a lot about him in the years to come, especially when they get rid of traction control next year.

The Belgium Grand Prix was canceled a couple of years ago due to a national law prohibiting cigarette ads at sporting events. After a great loss of revenue (and payoffs) they reconsidered and F1 prevailed. The same thing happened at the Montreal Grand Prix, it went right down to the wire before they relented and allowed cigarette ads or the teams agreed to participate without the ads. And all of this is the main reason that F1 is pursuing third world countries.

Go Lewis Hamilton!!

John Raho - Westport, Connecticut