Best air filter & housing?

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I've been pondering whether I should make a change to the air intake. Sitting on top of the Weber 38s I've got individual K&N like filters which draw air directly from inside the engine compartment. These look nice, but are they the best for performance?

I'm considering going back to the original intake setup which draws air from ouside the engine compartment via the intake hose.

Any insight or recommendations?

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Options should be decided before Dyno runs so alternative hardware is on hand.

What is the opinion of this forum?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As long as your K&N's aren't restrictive I doubt you'd see any difference between those and the stock air cleaner with the air hose attached, especially in a mild/cold climate like VT.

TodB

Reaction score
Do you know how the carbs are jetted and the air/fuel ratios with your current setup?

The OEM housing may pull cooler air from outside but may also be too restrictive with those carbs. If you know the jets are dialed in right confirmed by a Dyno run or 2 with your existing air filters, you could then put an OEM filter housing on and compare results and AFRs.

Stock cam?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tagging on to this, I would like to get a set of K&N style air filters to replace the big stock housing. This is mainly while I work on the engne bay so I don't have to remove that big assembly everytime I need to get under there.

jellobmw, which model of the K&N are you using? 4.5x7 ? 5.5x9 ?

Does anyone have a recommendation as to alternatives for this?

Thank you.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last edited: