Best E9 Steering Wheel - Options

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
I would like to get my hands on this one... Currently I have installed the OEM wood veneered "bus wheel"
cs-3-4fm-jpg.19322
Have one installed in my coupe and I like it quite a bit for long cruises and highway driving. Prefer a slightly smaller diameter and thicker grip for back roads, but who changes their steering wheel to suit a particular drive? Yeah, me either. So, I keep it on. Had a 38mm Nardi before this... a fairly standard one, but felt it wasn't sophisticated enough. Besides, these are unobtanium, in addition to being absurdly pricey.

Btw, I have a spare, sans the horn button assembly if you are interested.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have one installed in my coupe and I like it quite a bit for long cruises and highway driving. Prefer a slightly smaller diameter and thicker grip for back roads, but who changes their steering wheel to suit a particular drive? Yeah, me either. So, I keep it on. Had a 38mm Nardi before this... a fairly standard one, but felt it wasn't sophisticated enough. Besides, these are unobtanium, in addition to being absurdly pricey.

Btw, I have a spare, sans the horn button assembly if you are interested.

That's my plan. VMS quick release (ripoff of NRG quick release) fits momo and nardi wheels, and costs $45. Cheap enough to stick the wheel side piece on each wheel.

https://www.vmsracing.com/products/universal-short-steering-wheel-quick-release

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
The blog post that Markos linked to about 20 posts ago is not completely correct. The fake horn button that the post is referring to is a replica of the older (oldest?) MOMO buttons. The older horn buttons have the silver ring and the outer-most part is smooth, not matte like the later ones. The center button itself looks to be unchanged. Also, I have seen "intermediate" buttons that have the silver ring and the matte outer ring. Here are a couple photos that show a comparison of the old one and the newer one in the bag. You can see that the back of the old one still has a single connector and not a riveted wire like the fakes.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The blog post that Markos linked to about 20 posts ago is not completely correct. The fake horn button that the post is referring to is a replica of the older (oldest?) MOMO buttons. The older horn buttons have the silver ring and the outer-most part is smooth, not matte like the later ones. The center button itself looks to be unchanged. Also, I have seen "intermediate" buttons that have the silver ring and the matte outer ring. Here are a couple photos that show a comparison of the old one and the newer one in the bag. You can see that the back of the old one still has a single connector and not a riveted wire like the fakes.

I don't think the article is wrong, just not period correct. Momo ditched the floating silver ring at some point. The four spoke Alpinas from the '80's and 90's had a black floating ring. Early Alpina momo buttons as well as early porsche buttons had the floating silver ring.

Here is my period correct Alpina button. It says Momo on the back also. Also, I found some decent reproductions by "electro" if anyone wants to put together a period alpina button for under $100.

30404226491_da99795ec3_b.jpg

30491189225_12dd680f45_b.jpg

Here is an older, genuine momo button - likely from the 80's. I'm running this one in my project car on a Nardi. It fits 'ok'.
29895791401_0f3f60ca87_b.jpg.

29865419042_b58b8c7737_b.jpg

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
I'm 100% agree with Markos about original Momo horn buttons:
Silver ring + Momo written on the back - 70's
Black ring + Momo written on the back + production date - 80's, 90's
Here it is 100% original BMW MOMO horn button from 1992
DSC03265.JPG
DSC03263.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So last year I touched up the paint and chrome on my factory sport wheel. A few folks pointed out that it appears to have an aftermarket cover on it. This thread peaked my interest in the wheel again, so I decided to cutoff the cover. I honestly thought the inside was raw steel because it was grey and very hard. It turns out that the original leather is intact and in decent shape. So I'll sand it, dye it, and oil it, and document the rather quick process for my fellow steering wheel aficionados. I may hit it up with another coat of satin paint as I distressed the updated finish a bit too much. This time I can take off the chrome bits.

The original wheel is quite skinny, and feels about the same as the wood version I would imagine.

29361327323_2fcc618258_b.jpg

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
So last year I touched up the paint and chrome on my factory sport wheel. A few folks pointed out that it appears to have an aftermarket cover on it. This thread peaked my interest in the wheel again, so I decided to cutoff the cover. I honestly thought the inside was raw steel because it was grey and very hard. It turns out that the original leather is intact and in decent shape. So I'll sand it, dye it, and oil it, and document the rather quick process for my fellow steering wheel aficionados. I may hit it up with another coat of satin paint as I distressed the updated finish a bit too much. This time I can take off the chrome bits.

The original wheel is quite skinny, and feels about the same as the wood version I would imagine.

29361327323_2fcc618258_b.jpg

This is awesome! Eager to see how it comes out. Planning on doing the same with mine.