Best Engine Designers - Hagerty

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
All great engines and engine designers. But I think most of these "best of" lists that come out almost weekly are intended to get conversations (and controversy?) going. Rarely is "greatest" or "best" defined. This allows the reader to insert their own definition.

Using MY definition of "world's greatest engine designers" ( ;)) , I'd have to include Carl Schmaltz who designed the Ford Flathead V8 and Ed Cole who did the Small Block Chevy V8. Both engineers and their engines were game changers to the automobile industry and to motor sports.

jmackro

Reaction score
Using MY definition of "world's greatest engine designers" ( ;)) , I'd have to include Carl Schmaltz who designed the Ford Flathead V8 and Ed Cole who did the Small Block Chevy V8. Both engineers and their engines were game changers to the automobile industry and to motor sports.

Yes, Schmaltz and Cole would be two good additions. Hagerty seemed to be Euro-centric in compiling the list; the absence of any Asian designers was conspicuous as well.

The write-ups on Gioacchino Colombo and Aurelio Lampredi mention that both were mentored by Vittorio Jano, yet Jano isn't on the list. A major oversight!

Last edited: