Best Lift Points

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am about to engage in the rear subframe mount replacement. Car will be serviced on a lift, so no trolley jack. However using a trolley jack allows different lift points, but when the car is only up on jack stands, access and maneuverability of the rear subframe when changing out the mounts, is difficult. Anyway, point is, where should a garage lift place the pads to raise the car? We all try to avoid the rocker points, of course, and often Coupes are raised at the exact place the subframe bolt is situated, but I need to get at those bolts, obviously. Suggestions? Thanks, Mike
@bluecoupe30! I am about to start the same project and am curious about your lift point decision.

All,
There are a number of threads with great contributions from:
In my case I plan to remove the sub-frame to clean, inspect and paint the area. With that in mind Erik's jig looks interesting. What other solutions are there? I have a drive-on, low profile lift, and will lift the car from the rear sub-frame mount points, but will need to support the car with jack stands or other blocking from another point to allow removal of the sub-frame.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experience!

Last edited:

wilies13

Reaction score
The solution of Eric is really fine. I made an add. support to the frame behind the rear axle drive.

I removed the complete rear "axis" incl subframe.
I found rust (not detected before), aged seals (rear axle drive), missing grease in output shaft, rubber mounting (name?; see picture) in a really bad condition,....
Be aware, that the screws od "rubber mounting" /2nd picture/ are 10.9 and not onl 8.8

It was as at every time before: After more than 40 years every part needs a specific support and a lot of love......

Attachments

• Ha3_red.jpg
    Ha3_red.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 58
  • Ha2_reduced.jpg
    Ha2_reduced.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1151_red.jpg
    IMG_1151_red.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1307_red.jpg
    IMG_1307_red.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 67

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
in my case I tested the bolts involved and they all turned, so I reviewed that link that wilies13 posted above. It looked surprisingly do able, so I tried it. Just a trolley jack and a stand. All bolts came out, and I was able to replace the main rear subframe mounts. No problem. I was eager to feel the difference to the perished original ones that I just wanted out of there. Noticeable for sure. The others, perhaps in the Spring. ;)